Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Another DX Light question
  • mangoridebike

I'm in the market for some new lights and the DX lights look like they are a good deal. The lights will go on my bars rather than my helmet.

I'm torn between the official bike light kit – http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

and a couple of these attached using the universal mountings – http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12325

the cost would be about the same, but would two of the small torches be overkill? also what is the battery life like on the torches compared to the bike light in realworld experience?

z1ppy

I have both types, and though I do like the 'torch' type, mounting it on the bars stably has been a hassle, though it's not impossible as other ppl have proven (check out the tag to find thread with mountings). It usually involves bodging some sort of old light mounting, as none of the univeral mounting (twofish etc) really work 'that' well on the bars (are really stable & secure) when you travelling at speed. My twofish slipped while coming down a nice fast downhill, though the helmet light meant I wasn't in danger

Comparing the two type, (though I've not seen a helmet one, but am led to believe it is exactly the same as the bar one) I find the Bastid a lot flood-ier than the normal torches. So prefer my torch on my head and the bastid on the bar.
    As for would two torches be overkill, well I don't believe so, I used to use two torches, now use a Bastid and a torch on my helmet (though some ppl believe 200g's is too heavy as a helmet mount). I have used just a single torch on the bar and find this not very satisfying (not the bastid, so it might be due to the normal torchs more "spot" like output), and don't get on with a single helmet mounted light (lack of perspective).
    Though I do live in the "never enough light" camp – a troutie would be ace but cause a new lighting war amoungst my m8's.
    Battery wise, the normal torches last at least an hour on full (no real need to run it on full when travelling down roads or tow paths), but now that they have been used for a while they definitely last longer, but I've not actually measured them time wise lately. Changing the batteries though is a 30 second job, no grieve at all.

Is that any help or does it cause more confusion?

mangoridebike

Thanks Z1ppy, its good to have input from someone with experience of both. My concerns are really about the stability of the mountings and also with battery life. Although as you say changing the batteries isn't a massive deal.

How easy is it to switch the handlebar mountings between bikes if you need to?

From the saound of it the floodier nature of the bastid bar mounted light is what I need.

DezB
    Free Member

By the way – my mate just sent me this link: http://www.bestofferbuy.com/HAIII-SSC-P7C-SXO-3Mode-900Lumen-LED-Bike-Light-Set-p-27282.html?currency=GBP&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=gbase

I'm pretty sure its DX but you save a few pennies with the current exchange rate 🙂

z1ppy

How easy is it to switch the handlebar mountings between bikes if you need to?

I 'used' a twofish lock block (velcro straps), which take seconds to remove and move, other ppl's adjusted adpater would no doubt take longer.

mangoridebike

DezB any idea how long shipping takes from that site? is it better or worse than DX? by my calculations the exchange rate currently makes DX slightly cheaper, but that is very much a moveable feast anyway. I'd rather pay a little more for faster delivery.

smartiekid
    Free Member

If you're not bothered about paying a touch more, get it from Geoman in the US. It's about $16 extra for shipping, but you'll get it far quicker than DX.

Ordered mine last Thursday and it was shipped on Monday. Plus at least I can track it with the US Postal service unlike the Hong Kong postal service! 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Another DX Light question’ is closed to new replies.