• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Bazz.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • another dull tyre thread – maxxis advantage or ignitor?
  • Kevsterjw
    Free Member

for general xc use?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Advantage. Probably the best all round tyre Maxxis have made.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

I was ever so slightly leaning towards them actually. cheers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

loving the ignitor ust i have on at the mo, dont know anything about advantage, but ignitor has great grip, feels really really safe into fast dry/wet bends, a little heavy but really quick too….a good all round tyre ive found so far…

GRAEMEJONES

I’ve had the Advantage front and rear on my ST4 for 12 months now, done stuff in the Lake District, 7 Staines and a lot of The Peaks, when they wear out they will be replaced with the same again, CNF.
    2.25 BTW.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Getting on well with a set of Advantages myself.
    Careful though, they size up pretty big. The 2.25s I have dwarf the Mountain King 2.2s they replaced.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I prefer Ignitors.

vinnyeh

Whichever you choose, I’d recommend paying extra for the exo protection- sidewalls are pretty thin in mu experience.

Advantage is my pick btw.

RustySpanner

Ignitors – more rounded, faster, same grip.
    My favourite tyres.

neninja
    Free Member

Been running Advantage 2.1 front and rear since last November – they’ve coped with most things well but just recently I’ve found that the front can be unpredictable dry loose surfaces.

I’m going to stick with the Advantage on the rear for now but got a 2.2 Rubber Queen arriving to fit on the front (got another Rubber Queen that I might try on the rear too)

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I was thinking the other day, (I know, be careful ) with so many threads about tyres and conversations with other bikers you meet on the trails that can turn to tyre choice if you engage them long enough, I was wondering if perhaps it might be a good idea for the tyre companies to do their own version of those Demo Series days?

You see bike companies setting up at trail centres or perhaps large events of some kind, but I don’t know if tyre companies do this already or would be prepared to?
    For example, the Maxxis or Schwalbe stands would simply have a fleet of the exact same bike x20 or so (say, a standard Giant HT) but with each of their different tyres for you to try out.

Might work, might not, but at least it might be one way for them to have lot’s of ‘on the day sales’ as I would guess most people don’t sign up for a new and expensive bike on those Demo days by comparison but tyres are obviously affordable? (unless you’re a chav on a B.S.O)

Any thought?

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Great idea!

singletrackmind

I have Ignitors (2.35 UST ) and have an ADvantage 2.1 .

For light XC use i would veer toward the ADvantage . They are very light and the sidewalls appear flimsy. Good grip , predictable and fast on the bike.

Ignitors..hmm I punctured mine a fair bit on my Easter world tour. The Stans worked ever time , leaving a 50p sized splodge on the tyre. I prefer Conti Vert Pros tho , almost exactly the same tread pattern . They ride ‘stiffer’ for the same pressure and i dont feel them squirm under power.

mr-brightside
    Free Member

ive got ignitors on my hardtail and never had a problem with them but ive just bought a fs with advantage tyres on and ive had the front slide about a few times could be to much presure in them though? i cant check as there presta valves and gauge wont fit them so i will swap tubes over tomarow.

Bazz

I’m currently running a 2.25 ADvantage on the rear with a 2.35 High Roller up front, i find this ace in the current conditions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘another dull tyre thread – maxxis advantage or ignitor?’ is closed to new replies.