Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Another DrP Southern Roadie type ride ….
  • DrP

I’m planning another nice little bike jaunt (I’l also be planning the Brighton-London-Brighton gravel ride again, likely Pride weekend in August) if anyone darn Sarf fancies it?
    Namely Sussex/Brighton borders..

It’ll be on Sunday 26th April, riding from West Sussex to Pompey catamaran port for the 0915 crossing, then ride the Isle of Wight (the ‘lost lanes route’), and then back again!

The ‘mainland’ route is about 35 miles each way, and the Island route is 67ish..

People can come join in for all of it (will leave West Sussex circa 0600) or meet at the Harbour for the 0915 crossing.

Bring sarnies and pop…

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

I fancy the IOW bit, meet at Pompey sounds good.

I’ve diaried it, will confirm up by next weekend.

😀

Oh and put me down for the BLB too.

thomthumb
    Free Member

V. Interested….

m0rk
    Free Member

I wonder if I’ve got time to get fit enough to do the island mileage…. Last time I did that I was 13 and did the 15 miles to the port & back (just)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just confirming up the 26th is fine for me for the IOW, meet at the ferry port in Pompy because I’m coming from Warsash..

singletrackmind

Probably
    Will meet at ferry for obviuos reasons
    Do we get to do the horrible ,horrible climb up from the Spyglass pub? Its horrible you know!

DrP

Cool, nice to see old and new faces.
    And I’ll make sure to have that hill in it at least 3 times….

DrP

njee20
    Free Member

I’d be up for this, but getting married on the 25th, so fairly unlikely to get a pass!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cross bike for this event DrP ?

Mix of Bridleways/Road or all one and not the other.. ?

Cheers.

DrP

Good question – it’s (i think, from the route, which is the green dotted one on an OS map – cycle route) 95% road..but at the North West section it looks like a bit of mild gravel..
    I’ll be on the Tripster as it’s all I have (boo hoo, poor ol’ me..), but if y’all are on Road bikes, we can avoid the gravel bit and take the road alternative!

Up to you basically!

DrP

nedrapier

Nice idea! I had this in the PlanBank for this summer anyway.

But we’re seeing a few other people that weekend already, with some more sedate, local biking on the cards.

If that moves, I’m in!

DrP

fob them off Ed. You know it’s the right thing to do…

DrP

DrP

Bump…
    Hopefully weather looking good for this coming weekend!

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

Still on ? I’m in.

CX’er with some old Griffos on then, but if you want to cut out the gravel bit I’ll be fine with the Xplors, in fact I may shuv them on anyway to save the Griffos…

Details later in the week I guess, gauge interest, don’t be afraid to bail/re organise for another day I’m happy either way.

😀

nedrapier

I’m out, I’m afraid. Friends are confirmed we’ve got an off-road 40 mile pub crawl to the south coast mapped out.

Weather’s looking patchy for the weekend, but forecast improves the further south you go. And the weekend’s a way away yet.

Have fun!

pictonroad

hmmm.

hmmmmmm.

DrP

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

DrP

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m out. 🙁 – mate visiting – other more off road biking plans – blah blah.

have fun 🙂

swanny853

Wasn’t sure if I’d be able to make this but now it’s a maybe. Logistics for being in Brighton at bonkers o’clock or Portsmouth later will need working out though!

DrP

Where will you be coming from swanny?
    I’ll be leaving from worthing.

DrP

swanny853

I’d be coming down from Caterham. Brighton train from Redhill isn’t early enough although going straight to the ferry does. I’ll check the Worthing line.

Still a maybe!

swanny853

Hmmm, i hadn’t seen the weather forecast- may test my resolve as I consider road riding in the rain to have very few redeeming features!

Other than that I’d likely be meeting you at Portsmouth harbour, can’t see the logistics working else.

DrP

TBH, if the report stays as it is, I’m not too keen on 140 miles away from home in the soaking wet.. not my idea of fun, and this is meant to be fun/sightseeng/relaxing…

Keep an eye here, but I’l likely to rearrange if heavy rain remains on the cards!!

DrP

nedrapier

Boo. Sorry for your loss. On the plus side, Saturday’s looking much nicer for my ride to the seaside. Probably doesn’t help?

Hope I can make the next one though. 9th or 10th of May?

Edit: bit hasty – there’s plenty of time for the forecast to change. Probably jinxed myself with the smuggery above to a rainy Saturday and a sunny Sunday! Fingers crossed for you (and for me!)

swanny853

If it continues looking rubbish on sunday, I can offer a cross ride up in the more sheltered woods of the North Downs heading over towards Sevenoaks if anyone wants to hop on a train from Brighton up to Redhill?

DrP

Well, looking at XC Weather it seems to be only light rain in the early am…

What do we reckon??
    I’ll keep ‘planning’ as if we’re going to do this, but do keep an eye here (and all feel free to chirp in with ideas/concerns/expectations…!)

Singletrackmind, bikebuoy??? Still keeping tabs?

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

Coulda done it the weekend after! Keep me posted on the gravel one 🙂

nedrapier

The Norwegians reckon you’ll be fine:

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Ryde/

DrP

Let’s see what happens this weekend…

DrP

(oh – U O ME for the BBB…homie…)

DrP

(Dez owes me, not you Ed 😉 )

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

oh – U O ME for the BBB…homie.

Haven’t seen an email on that.. lemme know how much an all that stuff. 🙂

DrP

I operate on Wonga levels of APR doncha know….

Will email!

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

Weather looks pants, I’m oooot sorry.

If you reorganise then I’m in again 😆

DrP

Does it though?
    It’s meant to be just 0.1mm for the first few hours of the day…

Hmmm…. I’ll prob still give it a bash!

DrP

swanny853

It doesn’t look too bad at all, does it. Annoyingly I’ve been feeling less than 100% today so any ride tomorrow will probably be a local pootle.

Now I’ve said that it’ll probably be wall to wall sunshine, so enjoy it!

DrP

Let’s rearrange… As someone said, the whole idea is a sunny island ride.. Is not a miserable training ride…!

What subways can people make?
    Next Sunday? (BH weekend, BTW..)

DrP

singletrackmind

next sunday
    kawaski 100 gorrick / Dyfi Enduro / Isle of Wight randonee

prolly best to avoid the Isle of Wight next weekend.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Another DrP Southern Roadie type ride ….’ is closed to new replies.