Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Another dog q – Bedlingtons
  • woffle
    Free Member

Went to my bosses house yesterday and she had a great 1 year old Bedlington Terrier boy called Spike – they leave him un-clipped so he didn’t look daft. Seemed like a really nice breed – we’ve been thinking about a dog for a while but both my myself, my wife and youngest are asthmatic and some of the more ‘shedding’ dogs really set me off. I had absolutely no reaction to him at all.

Now rather tempted to have a call to the BT association and see if they know of a local breeder.

Just wondered if anyone had any personal experience? All the feedback from Spike sounded spot-on; great with kids, bright, not yappy etc…

warton
    Free Member

My mums got one. I’m allergic to most dogs, and while the bedlington is’t perfect, I don’t have that bad a reaction with it, I don’t think they malt (sp?) at all.

can’t comment on temperament as my mum has not trained the poor thing at all, and it thinks its number one in the house, so I tend to ignore it.

woffle
    Free Member

That wouldn’t be the case in our house – I’m quite happy to have a dog but it’s on the understanding that we have it properly trained – there’s meant to be a very good obedience class in the local village hall.

warton
    Free Member

I totally agree woffle. I’ve had it out with my mum on a number of occasions about it.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Most asthmatic people are troubled by dogs that shed hair, I’m sure Bedlington’s do not shed and are very clean house dogs.

anagallis_arvensis

my lurcher is 1/8 bedlington and mad as a box of frogs if thats any help

woffle
    Free Member

I’d love a lurcher but given the asthma (the girls have it worse than me) it’s not going to be an option. I think the Bedlington is probably as close as I’m going to get…

anagallis_arvensis

She can fly though!!

dogpower
    Free Member

my Bonnie is in pup; probably not suitable for you I’m afraid because she does shed. However the dad lives outside and Bon could easily live outside if required.
    Bon’s breeder Karen Rooth (not a commercial breeder, she only raised the one litter) has a bedlington cross lurcher, looks lovely.
    You could also try Lurcher Link, null. You could foster one of theirs temporarily and see if you are all ok. They’ve had a Bedlington up for adoption/fostering recently.

woffle
    Free Member

Stanley.

Unexpected arrival, was going to be looking in the new year / feb but he needed a home so thought we’d just bite the bullet. He’s a bit sad to have left his brother and mum so we’re having some anxiety noises etc but he has kidnapped my left slipper and is chewing it merrily in his bed in between coming and sniffing around to have his ears scratched.

Life’s not going to be the same but should be fun.

co-incidentally, my wife who’s even more allergic to dogs than me, also with bad asthma has been fine with him. I’ve never seen a grin so big as when she picked him up and could still breathe 10 minutes later. Within half an hour of being in the same room as her brother’s jack russell she gets extremely weezy, eyes running etc. Stanley seems to be amazingly different – no reaction at all to spending the day with him thus far – 2 hours in the car etc.

dogpower
    Free Member

been asking around a bit;
    the curly non-shedding coat seems to be inherited very strongly, so if you want a lurcher, I would hold out for a Bedlington-cross, I don’t think it’s too much to ask.

woffle
    Free Member

Nope – see above. The karma gods spoke and somehow, a few months early, we’ve found ourselves with a blue Bedlington Terrier, christened Stanley. After a day of playing / stroking / carrying him about my extremely dog-allergic wife has been 100% fine with him. Not sure who’s happier – Stanley at his new home or Lian, finally with a dog – something she thought would never happen…

iDave
    Free Member

Nice one

woffle
    Free Member

A better pic.

anagallis_arvensis

he looks brilliant

woffle
    Free Member

finally asleep! Not sure how long that’ll last…

surfer
    Free Member

We got a Lakeland because myself and my daughter are asthmatic.

mutley2 by Vocab1, on Flickr]Izzy[/url]

iDave
    Free Member

woffle, he seems to be wearing an Eddie Jordan wig

oxnop
    Free Member

woffle – My GF just made a noise I have never heard before. I think she wants her own Stanley!

Lovely looking little dog, it looks as though you are crate training too. We did the same with our Beagle and he never went to the toilet inside the house – thoroughly recommend crate training to anyone with a young puppy.

Good luck.

woffle
    Free Member

, it looks as though you are crate training too.

The lady we bought him from crate trains and recommended we carry on doing so. Stanley now has a ‘nest and he’s been fantastic in it thus far – no accidents and letting us know when he needs to go. Great at night too, he only cried for 20 minutes which is a lot better than we expected.

if you (or anyone else for that matter is keen) I think his brother still available if you’re interested (and in the South East)! Stanley had a thorough check-up today from our vet who was very impressed so can’t imagine his siblings being any different.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Another dog q – Bedlingtons’ is closed to new replies.