Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Another day in the LBS
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

1. Customer picks up reduced disc brake pads, asks “will these fit any disc brakes?”

2. Customer complains that bike he bought before a sale is now £70 cheaper and wants £70 back.

3. Customer bought Cannondale cranks. Wants to complain about the instructions being incorrect/incomplete….despite the fact he bought them from another retailer and has in fact got them working fine.

TBF lots of others (the vast majority) have been great…including one “can you sell me a £3K Giant” 5 minute transaction 😀

Any interesting tales from your employ or LBS?

tomhoward

‘Can you quote me for the free version of the software?’

jam-bo

Some idiot had made a brake mount out of a spoon…

deadkenny
    Free Member

To be fair in the first one some people just wouldn’t know particularly if it’s their first bike and know little about bike components.

As a computer geek I laugh at conversations in the likes of PC World, but not because of the cluelessness of the customers but the corresponding cluelessness of the staff that give them useless advice. Actually, I can say the same about Halfords 😉

andyl
    Free Member

1. He/she needs to ask as he/she doesnt know. Not their fault bike manufacturers have a million* types of disc brake pad.

2. Well it is irritating when things drop and some places do have a 30 day policy on price reductions.

3. “yes it’s terrible isn’t it, I will be sure to mention it to their rep next time I speak to them**. Next time if you need something come in and we’ll sort you out with free/cheap fitting when you buy something”

*exaggeration for dramatic purposes
    **blatant fabrication but make it believable

rocketman
    Free Member

Pre-Xmas fork price £600 black/£650 white
    Post Xmas fork price £550 black or white
    New Year price £780 black or white 😯

jekkyl

Got charged £15 for a gear cable inner and 2 pieces of outer, the bloke knew he was taking the p and says to me it’s ‘special’ cable. I needed it for a ride that night and couldn’t be doing with going to another shop but I won’t be shopping there again, shame coz I do like to support local busineses

Northwind

The pad question’s not unreasonable tbh, and it doesn’t imply “I expect that it does”- asking “does this do X” is also prompting for “No, you need Y”

njee20
    Free Member

The pad question’s not unreasonable tbh

Agreed. Particularly as rim brake pads fit any brake.

Got charged £15 for a gear cable inner and 2 pieces of outer

The newest Shimano PTFE coated inners do retail for £12, and ferrules are 50p each, so an inner, two bits of outer and 4 ferrules would very probably come to £15 at retail (as most bricks and mortar shops charge).

Rorschach
    Free Member

I don’t miss it……well I don’t miss the arsehole I worked for (and a few of the ‘customers’) but in time I will miss mucking about with pushbikes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

Some idiot had made a brake mount out of a spoon…
    TBF I NEVER EVER bother shops with any of my DIY stuff (just framebuilders).

And…IT WASNT A SPOON

Northwind – Member

…asking “does this do X” is also prompting for “No, you need Y”

Wow, a few of you took it as a serious moan, should have added smilies!..or a “I know I’m not perfect in retail” caveat. In answer…the pads in question were right next to the non-sale display of 16+ different types of pad. Had he asked “will these fit X” I’d have said “No, you need pads X for brakes X” but he asked “will these fit ANY BRAKES”.

andyl – Member

1. He/she needs to ask as he/she doesnt know

Indeed – but I try to engage/filter my brain before asking questions with obvious answers.

2. Well it is irritating when things drop and some places do have a 30 day policy on price reductions.

It is also…a FACT OF LIFE!

3. “yes it’s terrible isn’t it, I will be sure to mention it to their rep next time I speak to them**. Next time if you need something come in and we’ll sort you out with free/cheap fitting when you buy something”

Reps don’t come into our shop…he got a helpful answer anyway.

Got charged £15 for a gear cable inner and 2 pieces of outer

Anyone else remember cablegate? Who was it? Ayatollah of Niche/Explosion in a spaghetti factory (who is that now?)

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I had a customer before Xmas who bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus and a saddle, which I fitted for him. A couple of days later he phoned to say he’d found the tyres far cheaper online and I’d ripped him off with old stock. When he started on the threats and abuse I put the phone down (after warning him I would if he continued). He called back and went through the same routine several times with me hanging up on him. Eventually he gave me the name of the online shop and surprise surprise, it was they who were selling the old pattern tyres. He did apologise.

A few years ago I asked a young customer if he could help me out by taking the £20 note he was paying with to the bank three doors up to swap for change. An hour later I had a phone call from his mother who ripped into me with a ferocity that could only be justified if I’d taken her son into the back room and Saviled him.

BillOddie

Got charged £15 for a gear cable inner and 2 pieces of outer, the bloke knew he was taking the p and says to me it’s ‘special’ cable. I needed it for a ride that night and couldn’t be doing with going to another shop but I won’t be shopping there again, shame coz I do like to support local busineses

😯 Who doesn’t keep stock of stuff like that???

boriselbrus
    Free Member

My favourite was a customer who came in a couple of weeks before Christmas to buy a couple of BMX’s. I asked him if he wanted us to build them, or take them in their boxes and he said “I’ll build them myself as I wouldn’t ride any bike any of you monkey’s had built”. I just let it go.

On Christmas Eve at 16.45 he comes back in with both bikes a complete mess – LH brake lever pulling the front brake which is cabled wrongly anyway, all the gyro cables twisted, front wheel on the wrong way round, LH pedal in the RH crank so the thread is screwed etc. He asks me to build them up for Christmas Day. I just told him “unfortunately us monkey’s go home in 15 minutes so it’s not possible”.

He slunk out of the shop looking very sheepish. I was expecting him back on boxing day, but not so far…!

eshershore
    Free Member

Guy who bought an entry level hybrid 2 months back, keeps coming in claiming gears don’t work and wants a refund.

We check the bike on a work stand, its all as normal.we ride the bike on the street, its all as normal.

We show the guy its all working normally. We show him how the gears work. We tell him you need to keep pedalling when changing gear.

Still keeps coming back….

akira

Had a customer come in looking to replace his spds, he said they were constantly unclipping as he pedalled and after two weeks he’d had enough. I had a look, checked his cleats. Upside down and back to front, to be fair he wasn’t pissed off or owt, did leave a bit embarassed though.

wiggles
    Free Member

Had a pretty good run recently loads of really nice customers old and new. But a few weeks ago someone did something which I haven’t quite figured out yet.

Comes in and tries on an item of clothing, asks if we price match to which I say “I will try my best” then he left the shop.

Comes back later the same day and shows me said item of clothing at half the price we are selling it for (already £15 below rrp) on a large online retailers website on his phone. So I do the usual thing and check on our PC to make sure it is the same item and in stock on the other website.

When I searched it came up at the exact same price as we are selling it on the website he showed me. He then wouldn’t show me his phone. When I said can I see it again and just paid for it and left. So I’m not sire but think he might have edited a screen shot or something to try and get me to price match a made up price… Which would not have happens as would have been about a 20% loss on the item anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

Customer picks up reduced disc brake pads, asks “will these fit any disc brakes?”

It’d be a good idea wouldn’t it? Seems like a smart guy to me.

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s bso time at work this last few days.
    All build by the owners with some scary results.

One poor lady had her front wheel fall out – she had used her hand to do one front nut up and rather than another nut on the other side there were just rubber tap washers pushed on.

Oh and it is possible for a cable and some casing to cost £15
    The new shimano cables are silly exspencive

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Dura ace cables are even worse!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sadly numerous non-Shimano 4mm outers are sheeeeite.

5mm all the way, Di2 routing is for gayers too!

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Jagwire road pro all the way!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I work for Halfords and could write a book on this shit. 🙄

ton

bikeshop monkeys like you (AL), are the reason us proper cyclists use the internet……… 😀

simmy
    Free Member

Comes back later the same day and shows me said item of clothing at half the price we are selling it for (already £15 below rrp) on a large online retailers website on his phone. So I do the usual thing and check on our PC to make sure it is the same item and in stock on the other website.

When I searched it came up at the exact same price as we are selling it on the website he showed me. He then wouldn’t show me his phone. When I said can I see it again and just paid for it and left. So I’m not sire but think he might have edited a screen shot or something to try and get me to price match a made up price… Which would not have happens as would have been about a 20% loss on the item anyway.

I’ve heard of stuff like this before. Last summer I went onto Lancaster services and Moto, who own the station, have a App that gives different discounts each day.

This Day it was 20% off Costa or simular. The Lad in Costa double checked the offer as they had previously had customers taking screenshots of offers from previous Days and trying to get the discounts.

iffoverload
    Free Member

M5 bolt snapped on my seatclamp, during long ride home, spotted a bike shop. 😀

“sorry, we don’t have anything like that”

😐

returned high markup impulse purchase to display while salesman numpty staff member mumbles something about new saddle and waves randomly at wall display.

i miss the days of Ernies Used Ball Bearing Emporium..

Drac

bikeshop monkeys like you (AL), are the reason us proper cyclists use the internet………

I agree. Should alway try to help out customers not get all smart arse about them.

scotroutes

I agree. Should alway try to help out customers not get all smart arse about them.[/quote]TBF, at no point does he say he didn’t help them out.

ton

TBF, at no point does he say he didn’t help them out.

yeah but i bet Al was proper stroppy with em…..you can just imagine it, 1st day back after the new year, got rained on commuting, someone in a car nearly killed him…..oh yes proper stroppy bike spanner monkey……. 😆

ton

i am gonna go into Al’s bike shop one day, with some choccy hobnobs, to cheer him up. 😀

bm0p700f
    Free Member

The best one is the customer who popped in asking to have there brake set up (or adjusted is how they put it), O,K I said but I will first change the front tyre as the inner tube was trying to escape through the side wall. It does amaze me sometimes what some people don’t notice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I guess I thought by posting this in a light hearted way, folk might see what it’s like to work in an lbs…the prize for no-sense-of-humour holier-than-thou goes to…

Drac – Moderator

bikeshop monkeys like you (AL), are the reason us proper cyclists use the internet………

I agree. Should alway try to help out customers not get all smart arse about them.[/quote]

Who says I didn’t? There comes a time when you have to draw a line though:

customer 1 got a simple explanation

customer 2 was advised to complain to the retail he purchased the good from (who he hadn’t yet called) and encouraged to come in if he wanted the parts checked over FOC.

customer 3 will get 50% of the difference in voucher as a 1-off goodwill gesture.

deadkenny
    Free Member

neilsonwheels – Member
    I work for Halfords and could write a book on this shit

As a customer I could write a book on the shit that comes out of the mouths of the kids working in Halfords sometimes 😛

JCL
    Free Member

Di2 routing] is for gayers too!

Fixed!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

As a customer I could write a book on the shit that comes out of the mouths of the kids working in Halfords sometimes

As one of the elders in our shop I could happily contribute to your book.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Today will not have been the first day back at work for many of us
    But it was a rather crazy commute with far to many moments

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Yep the standard of driving had certainty took a turn for the worst this morning with the kids back at school.

twohats
    Free Member

Fixed a rear puncture on a customers bike.
    Guy returns about a month later says, “you fixed a puncture on the rear of my bike, now the front tire is flat, is that some sort of warranty”…

Customer comes in, you fixed a puncture a year ago and its just happened again, is that covered under some sort of guarantee?

Bloke came in today, “rear disc brake is making a metallic sound under braking”, look at brake and it appears that one of the pads is worn to the backing plate. Upon replacing pads they’re actually fine, just that one is installed the wrong way around with the braking surface against the piston and been ridden like this for some time!!!!

I could on and on and on and on………

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on tube replacements. I have had folks come back in demanding a refund with thorns sticking out of the tyre three months after the tube was fitted.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had a guy with a slit in his back tyre refuse to get a new tyre, just tube.

I told him it would definitely puncture in time.

He later came back complaining that it had punctured.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Another day in the LBS’ is closed to new replies.