Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Another cyclist killed by an HGV in London
  • rogermoore

BBC Link
    Thankfully not fatal but looks really bad – something needs to be done.
    RM.

khani
    Free Member

something needs to be done.

The only thing that would work without knocking London down and starting again is banning large vehicles during the day.
    But people would moan about noise at night instead..

pennine
    Free Member

I assume you’ve heard of the London Lorry Control Scheme. Vehicles over 18t banned between 21:00 & 07:00 weekdays & weekends between Sat 12:00 and Monday 07:00. First started by Ken Livingstone in the 80s.
    Tesco would love to service their stores at night but local restrictions curb this significantly

uselesshippy
    Free Member

The first thing that needs to be done, is sort out the tipper trucks.
    if you look at the height of the bumpers, lack of side bars, and distance away from the wheels of the spray guards. They are a lot different to a normal hgv, meaning its a lot easier to go under, or be pulled into the wheels.
    Also, they all work on bonus schemes, encouraging them to drive faster and take more risks. This is supposed to be illegal, but….

orangeboy
    Free Member

Oddly out in the sticks where I commute its mostly tippers that pass me
    And they are far better than the normal large Artic ones

molgrips
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned cyclist training yet? Obviously not all accidents are cyclists fault, but some are. If you could get one message out to urban cyclists it would be don’t cut up the inside of trucks.

soundninjauk

If you could get one message out to urban cyclists it would be don’t cut up the inside of trucks.

Absolutely. I’m pretty sure the Boris bikes actually have diagrams on the handlebars telling people not to do that. Doesn’t stop people though, I saw one chap on a Boris squeezing up the left side of a bus in Piccadilly on Tuesday. I could only watch in disbelief. Luckily there weren’t any barriers so he could have got up onto the pavement, but even so.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you could get one message out to urban cyclists it would be don’t cut up the inside of trucks.

just show that youtube video, or wherever it was, as a nationwide advert – the one that showed a lorries blind spots and where he could see the cyclist from.

A few cyclists will still be killed courtesy of Darwinian evolution though (like the ones that don’t ride with lights).

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Another cyclist killed by an HGV in London’ is closed to new replies.