Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • (another) cycle to work question
  • z1ppy

..m8 been asking for a recommendation for a bike to buy on his companies scheme, IIRC there some reason you can’t get discounted bikes on the scheme?
    Not something I’ve ever looked at, but seem to remember something along these line when scanning other posts on here..

Basically I want to know if he can pick up a end of year bargain using the scheme?

Harry_the_Spider

When I ran the in-house scheme at my last works we bought nothing but end of line bikes!

z1ppy

so discounted I assume… great.
    Was sure I’d seen something saying you couldn’t, was all.

pdw
    Free Member

Depends entirely on the scheme and the retailers involved. If your company uses a commercial voucher company like Cyclescheme that takes a cut from the retailer, then it’s likely that the retailer won’t let you have their best deals.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

depends who the scheme runs through, Cycle scheme charge/take 10% from the shop as far as I recall… If you know who the voucher comes from and where you can spend it have a word there first.

spawnofyorkshire

it depends on the shop / scheme you’re with. Some will do sale prices / end of line discounts etc. others will only do full RRP
    If you’re with one of the ones like Cyclescheme you should be able to shop around to get a good price from LBS’

lemonysam
    Free Member

The ideal situation is to get one on staff discount and then put it through bike to work – can easily be a 70+% discount. Sadly I’ve changed jobs and can’t do that any more.

z1ppy

bugger it’s turned into a potential minefield now.. it the post office’s scheme, if anyone familiar with that

scotroutes

It’s up to the shop whether or not they want to offer you a discounted bike. However, since the shops has to pay a 10% commission to the Cyclescheme organisers, you can see that they could easily end up providing it to you at a loss. It’ll depend on how desperate they are to get rid of it.

daftvader
    Free Member

The post office uses 2 different schemes now….halfords and cycleplus. The halfords one he will be able to get their sale stuff. Not sure about the other one yet. I phoned them and they weren’t the most helpfull. However most of the shops that use cycleplus will either only sell full price or, like on one, charge the extra 12% they get charged by cycleplus…. ive had mylast 4 c2w through halford which haven’t been toobad. Hth

z1ppy

My m8 said he could use the scheme in the local shop, so imagine its the cycleplus one. I was hoping to get the LBS to get an 2013 (old stock) order in and discounted to match one’s on sale at other (non-local) shops. Sounds like that out the window & we’ll just have to see what they’ve got in stock

takisawa2

The reality of BtW for me turned out to be a bit of a let down TBH.
    Constrained to a certain retailer, & paying full wack etc.
    Then having to pay 20% back to get out of the scheme to have another bike after a year. In the end it looked better to go for a 0% finance deal.

I got so bored with it all I gave up in the end, & built a bike from bits picked up S/H.

Also, for me, there is little excitement in wheeling a fully built bike out of a shop. 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

Best bet is to go and have a chat. with the shop. If it is the halfords one he may still be able to use it at local shop. Plus halfords isnt limmiyed to wjats on their website.

z1ppy

Indeedy Takisawa, 0% finance on a discounted bike is starting to sound a much better deal.

Trouble with Halfords is, though they’re not limited and should be able to get most brands in, IIRC you loose the original manufacturers warranty (a big blow when buying say a spesh with a great warranty)

Will be going to talk to the LBS (with my m8), but wanted to be forewarned/armed with as much info as possible 1st.
    Cheers all.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘(another) cycle to work question’ is closed to new replies.