Well, after all the recent broo-haha over CX as a fun way to keep the wheels rolling, I only went and flamin well bought one!
Local dealer sourced this rather nice machine for me (62cm Cube Cross Race Disk, perfect fit), got it yesterday and took her out for a spin this morning on a seriously cold but beautiful and snowy Basel am.
And of course, it is adorned by the very same pedals in this thread!
Observations from having my first ever drop bar bike since I was 12 with a Peugot 12 speed racer?
1) I need to lose more weight to do this thing justice!
2) By jesus it accelerates fast, magnificient
3) Surprisngly stable, but still with a really tight turning circle
4) Quite a bit sketchier over frozen/snowy/wet off camber roots/branches than an mtb
5) On hard pack snow that has many foot prints and tractor tracks forzen in, it is really quite brutal - there is a place for suspension and 2.4" bouncy rubber!
6) Quite sore on the heels of my hands over that same terrain - and we are talking about 6km of that rutted frozen snow (see Rule 5 http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ )
7) Superb fun! Can't wait to explore more riding with it.
Cheers to everyone, inc GrahamS thread, + Dirt mag and ST mag recent articles, for peaking my interest.
Kev, (now worryingly close to thinking about more bib shorts and roadie tops with pocket on the back! )