Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Another conditions request – Mabie
  • tragically1969
    Free Member

As title really, heading to Dumfries for the new year, whats Mabie like due to snow and ice, rideable, passable with care or scary as hell ?

Trekster

All of above I believe, taking a ride(walk) out tomorrow. Mate says it was well dodgy yesterday when he was out running. Car park area is covered in snow/ice and inaccessible, those who were out parked around the FE/shop area.

-7 this morning so will be well slippy ❗

Not sure if the Ae ride will take place either but keep an eye on this;
    http://www.ae7.co.uk/

Heading out to Mabie for a night ride on the 31st @ 7 after work if you fancy it?

tragically1969
    Free Member

hmm, interesting, it looks like it may get cancelled !!

Anybody else been at Mabie in the last few days have an opinion ?

simonralli2
    Free Member

It's insanely cold up here right now!

imnotamused
    Free Member

Was there this morning, -5 as I arrived, -4 when I left.

Road up to carpark and carpark were sheet ice but just passable.

Fire road to trailhead was sheet ice and I stacked it while pedalling slowly along a totally flat bit, both wheels went left, I went right.

Trail was passable with extreme care and a great deal of effort but not much fun to be honest, just more of a means to shift some turkey.

Icy on the ups, icy on the flats and icy on the downs. Used the crunchy snow for grip where I could and got round with a couple of squeeky bum moments.

The red route took me 3hrs without stopping, first time I've done it but I reckon it's 1 – 1.5hrs in normal conditions for me so that should give you an idea of how slow it was.

Things change there day by day (yesterday was slushy, today was sheet ice) so phone the bike shop there the day before you go for an update. The girl in there said she'd been telling people to stay away today.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Another conditions request – Mabie’ is closed to new replies.