Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Another coffee machine thread
  • spooky_b329

At the moment I have a filter machine which is good, except its only me in the house that drinks coffee, and I generally only use the machine at weekends/days off. Its not uncommon for it to take me a couple of months or more to use a bag of coffee. (kept in the freezer)

Ideally I’d like a espresso machine but I have a budget of around £100 (including the January Sales), I could maybe justify £40-50 for a grinder. But I’m not sure how much faff there is in setting up and cleaning the machine considering its only me using it, and whether I can get something worthwhile in the budget.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think a pod style machine would be more suited. So unless anyone honestly thinks I would be better off with an espresso machine, recommendations for a pod machine?! Taking into account availability and price of pods.

Thanks 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

handpresso makes great espressos

£85, takes pods

and builds your upper-body

mefty
    Free Member

My espresso machine does not get washed, whack the used coffee out and put on the compost heap.

djglover
    Free Member

Delonghi iconica is 50% off at currys 80 quid, just got one tonight and it’s well good, comes with free illy coffee too and takes pods

mtbmatt
    Free Member

What about a stove top espresso maker?
    I bought one a few months back and it gets loads of use. I am the only one who uses it.

soulrider
    Free Member

get a Moka

MrSmith
    Free Member

if that’s your budget just get the nespresso. you will not get a decent burr grinder or a decent machine with a machined brass group head (like the pavoni’s gaggia’s etc) for that money

lipseal
    Free Member

Anyone know where you can get hold of the portable coffee maker thingy?

vrapan
    Free Member

Use your 100£ for a grinder. Buy an Aeropress for 17£. Wait till next Christmas and save 200£ to spend on an espresso machine. Any other way and you will probably ending up being fairly disappointed.

spooky_b329

Thanks everyone, I like the Handpresso but a friend has one and says he only gets ‘OK’ results.

The Aeropress looks much more attractive for the price…I’ve not shopped around for prices but I”m consider the following:

Aeropress £18
    Porlex Hand Grinder £30 (do I really need to spend big money?)
    MyPressi Milk Frother £7 (designed for the MyPressi but can’t see any reason why it can’t be used with any machine)

Only concern is whether the grinder will go fine enough, as it says the Aeropress works best with a fine grind? I’m quite tempted with the above as I can chuck it all in the van when I go away for the weekend, whereas a pod machine would be confined to the kitchen.

Lipseal, have seen the Handpresso at both Amazon and iwantoneofthose.com which I’ve used in the past.

TimS
    Free Member

+1 for a stovetop. You’re not then locked into buying pods or capsules.

GregMay
    Free Member

Stovetop all the way. Love mine.

Tenuous
    Free Member

Bought an Aeropress for the wife a couple of years ago, still going strong and she seems quite happy with it. No faff and apparently makes good coffee (I’m a tea man :))

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Another coffee machine thread’ is closed to new replies.