Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Another classic, "what do I need to go 1 x 10" thread…….
  • dknwhy

Currently have a 3 x 10 (40x30x22T) on my Radon Slide 8.0 with an 11-36 Deore cassette. It has a shadow rear mech.

Am I correct in assuming that all I need to go 1×10 is to remove the front shifter and gubbins, remove the front rings and replace the middle ring with a narrow-wide chainring and shorter bolts and then fit a wide ratio cassette at the back?

What kind of weight savings do people get from this?
    Should I be less of a fashion victim and just eat less pies?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

You are indeed correct! – Congratulations 😉

You don’t necessarily need a wide range cassette though – just MTFU! 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

You might need a clutch mech*, you’ll also need to shorten the chain

*I have no clutch on my rigid HT & it’s never dropped the chain in 8 months constant use so try your old mech before buying

faustus

11-36 is a wide range cassette in my books! Clutch mech and shorter chain make for a nice quiet set-up..

dknwhy

@rocketdog – already have a clutch mech.

I’m thinking that I could basically just save myself a packet and use the existing 30T middle ring and remove the other 2 front chainrings etc and keep the rear cassette?

Going to experiment with just using the middle ring for a while to see how I get on….

P-Jay
    Free Member

I personally think you need a clutch mech OR a narrow-wide, you don’t need both. I do have both, but I turned off the clutch about 3 months ago to remove the wheel, forgot about it for a month and when I noticed I didn’t both putting back on.

Weight saving isn’t much, but it’s nice to not have that slightly noise of the front mech and if you run a dropper remote it gives you more fitment options.

I personally missed the granny for about 2 rides, but I missed the top end more, I started out with a 30t narrow wide which was too small.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m thinking that I could basically just save myself a packet and use the existing 30T middle ring and remove the other 2 front chainrings etc and keep the rear cassette?

Yep, although the shifting ramps on your chainring won’t be helping keep the chain on in the extreme gears

faustus

£20 gets you a N/W chainring from On-One in your choice of 30-34t, which is worth it I think. Having clutch mech and n/w is a good combo to have for chain security..

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got a fairly new SS 32t chainring going spare, £15 posted.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

By the sounds of the triple setup he has, its not a 104 BDC crankset, but one of the compact? triple setups they did with 29ers, which is 96BCD

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The search function, 11-ey might be wide range of its flat or have massive legs or ride a road bike but 40 or 42 is much nicer.

I remember riding 36×34 a while back after many months I couldn’t fit into jeans but I was about 15kg lighter…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Another classic, "what do I need to go 1 x 10" thread…….’ is closed to new replies.