Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Another career thread: MCSE?
  • apj
    Free Member

My turn for a work-related query!

Having worked in various roles over the years which involved system admin work, networking etc but in a non-commercial environment, I am thinking I would like to move into commercial sys admin / networking work. Problem is I have no commercial qualifications: I know enough about filesystems, fundamental TCP/IP concepts for example, but little about things such as running Server 2008, Exchange, Cisco switches, ITIL etc. Think I would prefer a more hands-on role than aiming to be data architect (for example).

So, I am thinking some kind of self-tuition leading to certs would be useful: which are the most in-demand/valued? I am thinking MCSE would be useful, but would server 2008 or 2012 be best? CCNA looks valuable, but I am not sure I would want to be setting up networks all day.

Any advice much appreciated.

Edit: wrong forum, sorry, please move mods! The irony is not lost on me….

lesgrandepotato

MSCE always nice to see, I’d go 2012 no need to force yourself to update sooner than necessary. However attitude to work, smarts and a willingness to get stuck in is what I look for in my infrastructure team…

Good luck !

somouk
    Free Member

Most in demand at the moment is Cisco networking qualifications.

After that web development/databasing and then Windows technical qualifications.

Bear in mind that having qualifications will simply get you in the door for an interview for a junior role. Without suitable experience to back it up you won’t get big money.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Another career thread: MCSE?’ is closed to new replies.