Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • another broken collarbone (pics)
  • yunki
    Free Member

My poor little lad has only been 3 years old for a week… with his 3rd birthday came some excellent improvements in his climbing skills and confidence..

Sadly today at pre-school, his enthusiasm was greater than his ability, and he fell off the climbing frame..

How are kids so damned resiliant..!? Admittedly he was a good deal teary for the first couple of hours, and he bursts into tears of pain getting in and out of the car, but otherwise he’s pretty chipper, even having a laugh and a joke with the radiologist and saying ‘cheese..!!’ for his x-ray.. I was expecting a clean bill of health to be honest..

noteeth
    Free Member

As a general rule, kids are way tougher than adults. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye they are, quick burst if tears followed by stoicism IME
    healing vibes to the dude

shindiggy
    Free Member

My 13month old daughter broke her radius and Ulna last week when she jumped off the sofa, arm to be in a cast for 4 weeks. She’s still climbing up the sofa.

robbo
    Free Member

My daughter, then 3 years old, broke her collarbone at a friend’s house. She came in saying ‘Daddy my arm doesn’t work’ as she couldn’t lift it. ‘What happened’, I say. ‘He pushed me out of the bunk bed’, referring to friends 5 year old son. ‘Why?’ I say. ‘I tried to kiss him!!!!’ Definitely looking forward to teenage years now

She was making snow angels one week later. And there will probably be a lump as it heals but it will disappear soon enough.

yunki
    Free Member

Hospital have prescribed sling, Calpol and MTFU..

Fracture clinic on Monday where they may want to reset the bone due to the angle of it..

I feel a bit sick.. 😥

EDIT: Robbo’s post has given me a little bit of comfort.. 😕

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ah poor little fella. Massive sympathies Yunki. Tell the heartless b’stard consultant who prescribed the metaphoric MTFU that they clearly don’t have kids or had a broken collar bone. At least with arms and legs you can immobilise them but you can’t do throat with a collar bone and you try immobilising a three year old.

Healing vibes. At least three year olds heal quickly.

Del

1) take a memory stick in for copies of the xrays – if you ask the Dr. nicely they’ll probably say, ‘we shouldn’t but…’
    2) R,D&E or Torbay?
    3) see the physio.
    4) see the physio.
    5) see the physio.
    6 listen to what the physio says and do it.
    7) bad luck! he’ll be ok. keep the elbow, shoulder moving. don’t let him just keep it in the sling all the time. have him get the arm out while he’s sat around. vent the pit and move the elbow/arm.
    8 ) be prepared for more tears!
    9) see the physio again.
    10) do what the physio says.

tell him to get well soon.

trailmonkey

oh no 😯

healing vibes from down the road

yunki
    Free Member

thanks guys.. I don’t like it, usually he shrugs off even the most painful looking mishaps.. but obviously the next night or two is going to be a bit shitty..

we were seen at Torbay, and they were very swift which was nice..

How’s it going TM..?
    I was going to drop you a line the other day seeing as we’ve missed summer.. been out much..?

trailmonkey

been out on the road bike mainly since finishing the degree a couple of weeks ago.

by all means drop us a line and we’ll meet up for a ride 8)

globalti
    Free Member

Green stick fracture?

jet26
    Free Member

FYI it is extremely extremely rare (pretty much never) that it is necessary to operate on a clavicle fracture in children, and far from common even in early teens.

Would worry not to be honest – kids are very good at making bent bones straight again…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘another broken collarbone (pics)’ is closed to new replies.