Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Another boring Stans Q: Do I need thick rim tape with XM719's?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Just wondering…

I just checked the Stans wesbite and it suggested that for the narrower XC717s you should use only the thin rim tape that comes with Stans, whilst with the slightly wider XM719s you should use your existing rim tape, which I take to mean the usual cloth tape.

I use XM719s with electrical tape, which is very thin, so I was wondering if this could impede my progress to inflating the tyre?!

Or am I needlessly worrying/splitting hairs?

Ta!

nosedive
    Free Member

hi

you aren’t needlessly worrying. Ive got some 521s with stans rim strips in, they just dont work without something underneath them for these big rims as the tyre doesn’t meet the strip. I cant tell you for sure what will happen on the ’19s but if you find the tyre just isn’t inflating would suggest the first thing you try is cloth rim strips.

didn’t you also have a post earlier about old tyres? sounds like you are having tubeless fun. good luck, definitely persevere if you have teething troubles, tubeless is the best thing I did for my bike

Bimbler
    Free Member

I use electricians tape over the spoke holes and some of this stuff over the top – can’t remember why, I think someone recommended on here or MTBR

Got it from ebay for a couple of quid. Worked flawlessly for over a year.

bobster
    Free Member

Running Stans with 719s and I just used the standard kit

saladdodger
    Free Member

I run stans on XM719’s no rim strip and Specialized 2bliss tyres inflate easy as hell

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Another boring Stans Q: Do I need thick rim tape with XM719's?’ is closed to new replies.