Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Another book thread – recommendations wanted!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, really!

Need some good holiday reading. Stuff I like, as pointers;
    Wodehouse for a little comedy. Fforde and Pratchett for inspired lunacy. Simon Winchester and Peter Hopkirk for historical/factual fascination.

So, anything good on the comedy, history or pop-science front I should be looking at?

stavromuller
    Free Member

Happyslapped by a Jellyfish – Carl Pilkington
    Going Dutch – Tom Holt
    Rope Boy – Dennis Gray (Autobiog. about the early days of British rock climbing with Joe Brown and Don Whilans)
    Enjoy
    Just remembered, best historical fiction I’ve ever read was “The Far Arena” it was bloody brilliant

DavidB
    Free Member

“Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder” comes highly recommended ..by me obviously 😉

trailmonkey

just started hastings’ all hell let loose.

a suprising and refreshingly bottom up history of wwii

emsz
    Free Member

I’m trying to read Anna Karenina atm. It’s actually pretty cool.

allthegear
    Free Member

Alan Turing – The Enigma, by Andrew Hodges. Seems he invented an awful lot more than computers…

Rachel

RustySpanner

On a similar note to Rachel, Simon Sebag Montefiore’s ‘Enigma’ fills in some of the gaps in the code breaking story.
    Bit dry.

andy7t2
    Free Member

stephen roche born to ride

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If this is a Man / The Truce – Primo Levi.

One of the best books I’ve ever read… it contains the droll memoires of one mans stay at a terrible holiday camp and his somewhat epic journey home.

cynic-al
    Free Member

For you, 50 shades of grey.

Cougar

Currently reading The Long Earth by Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

If you like lunacy, Robert Rankin.

Christopher Brookmyre. Mike Carey’s Felix Castor novels.

Cougar

Oh, been enjoying Koontz’ Odd Thomas series lately too.

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure whether these fit into your classifications, but I’ve just been totally blown away by Duff McKagans autobiography – inspired lunacy and historical interest?

For some cycling related nonsense, Ned Boultings “How I won the Yellow Jumper” is a great read as well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For some cycling related nonsense, Ned Boultings “How I won the Yellow Jumper” is a great read as well.

Just got that today!

Already read Duff’s book.

Thanks all, some great tips. Got the Turing book as well(Already read the Sebag Montefiore one, agree that it’s a little dry, but most fascinating!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just got that today!

Already read Duff’s book.

Thanks all, some great tips. Got the Turing book as well(Already read the Sebag Montefiore one, agree that it’s a little dry, but most fascinating!)

zippykona

Head on / repossessed by Julian Cope. Just finished it. Amazing book best described as very honest. I’m not even a fan but a top read.

johnners
    Free Member

Rifles – 6 Years with Wellington’s Legendary Sharpshooters by Mark Urban (though I’d be surprised if you hadn’t already read it)

johnny_met
    Free Member

Dividing the Great has been described as Woodhouseian by a reviewer

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Another book thread – recommendations wanted!’ is closed to new replies.