• This topic has 45 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tang.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Another book thread, historical fiction recommendations
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve been reading quite a few historical fiction books of late and I’m after some recommendations for some more. No particular time period really . So far I’ve read

Alexander trilogy by Manfredi
    Roman stuff by Robert Harris
    Ceaser, Ghengis, and War of the Roses stuff by Conn Iggulden
    Robert the Bruce trilogy by Robyn Smith

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not too sure if this is your thing, but I absolutely loved Paul Sussmans writing, sadly he’s no longer with us but if this is your thing then the books (I’ve post pics of two) are extremely good.

Mackem

Michael Dobbs’ Churchill books.

isitafox
    Free Member

My cousin has recently released a book on Amazon, I’ve not had a chance to read it yet but might be worth a look as it’s only £2, called Ruric by Rico Larsen.

Mackem

Loads by Bernard Cornwell which all seem to follow the same pattern. Man of lowly station works his way up the ranks thru hook, crook and luck. Just the background changes, but entertaining enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Cornwell

Murray

Neal Stephenson Baroque Cycle. Newton, Leibniz, the slave trade, the great fire of London, pirates

isitafox
    Free Member

Also Blood Diamond by Mark Keating

ji
    Free Member

I was going to recommend Conn Igulden.

moose
    Free Member

The Hawkwood series by James McGee.

McGee’s historical novels are set during the Regency period, when Britain was at war with Napoleon. His hero, Matthew Hawkwood, is working as a Bow Street Runner, an early investigative officer working out of London’s Bow Street Magistrates’ Court. He is called upon to solve a number of civil crimes, including murder, body-snatching and highway robbery, but his previous military experience makes him ably suited to investigate issues of national security.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I found Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett to be ‘unputdownable’, miles better than the tv series!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Historical fiction you say?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Conn Iggulden’s Emperor series about GaIus Julius Caesar are entertaining, if not particularly accurate.

Danny79
    Free Member

The Flashman series by George McDonald Fraser is great. Covers various Victorian era conflicts main character is a coward and rake who bluffs his way through.

andrewreay

I got into the Hornblower books by C S Forester, much better than the name suggests. It’s mainly Nelson-era history, beautifully told.

On another tack [excuse the pun], I have really enjoyed Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser. Perhaps a more acquired taste, but the books are (to me at least) laugh out loud funny at times and incredibly informative consistently.

The first is simply ‘Flashman’, and a great place to start. The series covers Victorian history, but the character moves across the globe and into all sorts of scrapes and meetings with ‘real’ people. Really good stuff.

Spin
    Free Member

Another vote for Flashman. Very well researched and just good old fashioned fun.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Another vote for the Hornblower books – probably my favourite books of all time.

The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell are pretty good as well, but whilst based on historical events can become a bit formulaic.

ninfan
    Free Member

Flashman series are a rip-roaring factual trip through history if you haven’t read them,

For more modern history, this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seelöwe-Nord-The-Germans-Coming/dp/1907294384 is an unmissable read, really feels like you are there.

And Harvey Black’s red/black/blue effect are a stunning Cold War alternate history trilogy.

langylad
    Free Member

I’ve purchased quite a few books from STW recommendations, by far the best was Child 44 set in Stalin’s Russian.
    I’ve just ordered Flashman and Pillars of the Earth, might give Horneblower a go as well. Cheers gents.

jimw
    Free Member

Anthing by CJ Sansom, the Shardlake series set in Tudor times, Dominion is set in the 1950’s

+1 for Pillars of the earth by Ken Follett, also the sequel World without end is very good

avdave2

Maybe not entirely fiction but not entirely factual either, I Claudius. It’s up there for me as one of the very best books I’ve ever read.

crankboy
    Free Member

I love the Bernard Cornwall books especially the ones where Sharpe uses bows and arrows or broadswords. It is however best to keep a list of the ones you have read as it is very hard to tell from flicking through in a book shop whether or not you have already read one.
    Ross leckie’s trilogy on Hanibal and Scipio is good.
    I also enjoyed Mary Renault’s Alexander trilogy good writing and excellent history.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Neal Stephenson Baroque Cycle. Newton, Leibniz, the slave trade, the great fire of London, pirates

Just rereading the 3rd one of these. The second one was a bit dull, but the third is a cracker. Jolly good value word/£ too!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for Flashman. Very well researched and just good old fashioned fun.

Bang on!
    Flashman is a brilliant anti-hero. A cad, a scoundrel and, worst of all, a coward. However, the books are, as mentioned, superbly researched and full of rich, historical detail.

Very much recommended. No relation, by the way! 🙂

StirlingCrispin

Another vote for Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.
    Superb book.

MoreCashThanDash

Flashman ….is a coward and rake who bluffs his way through

To be fair, he’s not the only one on here like that!

Steelfreak
    Free Member

For well-researched napoleonic era Royal Navy fiction you might try the books by Patrick O’Brian . (Eg Master & Commander; similar to Hornblower, but for grown-ups.)

shermer75
    Free Member

I also really liked Pillars of the Earth and Bernard Cornwell’s stuff 🙂

ampthill

My votes are

Bernard Cornwell Vikings and medieval, less keen on keen on Sharpe

Hornblower is good but slightly prefer Patrick O’brien for his “Master and Commander” series

Shardlake by CS Sansome are excellent as are the Robest Harris Roman stuff

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers folks, lots of good stuff by the looks of it, I’ll probably start at the top, the Sussman and Dobbs books are just the ticket.

I’d forgotten I’d read the Neal Stephenson Baroque books, was a while ago though before this current run of historical lit. Enjoyed them very much, some amazing characters, pity I couldn’t get into Anathem. Should have been up my street but couldn’t click with it.

I’ve read the CJ Sansom Dominion book too, enjoyed that but if any period of history wasn’t appealing then it would be the Tudor era, I’ll have another look though.

I’ve read the Child 44 trilogy as well, christ it was bleak, nearly never read the other two but I’m glad I did, good stuff really sets the scene.

I’m maybe the only person it seems that didn’t like Flashman, IIRC there is an off hand comment about rape at the start which really put me off the character. Finished the book and had no compunction to read another. Does seem very popular though, might have just been the frame of mind I was in at the time, can’t really remember what it was.

Loads of other stuff to work through too, ta.

Spin
    Free Member

, IIRC there is an off hand comment about rape at the start which really put me off the character.

The character is of his time, warts and all.

I’d forgotten about Shardlake, they’re very good too.

Edric64
    Free Member

Do the words historical and fiction go together apart from the bible? which is for deluded freaks and child molesting catholics

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel… and the sequel Bring Up the Bodies. I’m also a big fan of the Shardlake books, and I was very impressed by Conn Iggulden’s series on the Mongols.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The Romance of he Three Kingdoms. Not fiction, part fact, part legend, part myth, brilliant story about the downfall of the Han Dynasty and the subsequent battle for the throne. Plot twists and turns that make Game of Thrones look like Noddy Goes To the Shops. Starts pretty complicated and difficult to follow as you settle into who’s who but once you get the picture like a “promise for all eternity” is valid until the end of the chapter you pick up the pace. There’s a free kindle edition but it reads like an academic text book, the Moss Roberts translation is readable and well paced with some interesting footnotes. Red Cliff, the 4 hour Chinese epic is based on about 3 chapters of 3 Kingdoms and features the main characters.
    Also Conn Igulden’s Emperor series was just guff. Maybe because I’m interested in Roman history I found the completely inaccurate plot history just too much, where the facts are much more interesting. In Emperor Caesar and Brutus were childhood pals, in fact Caesar was 15 years older and had had a long term affair with Servilia, Brutus’ mother. So well known was this that when Caesar began to rise to prominence in the forum there was a rumour that he was actually Brutus’ father. A far more entertaing read is Suetonius’ The Twelve Caesars, detailing the lives of the first 12 Caesars (not including the monkey from Planet of the Apes). tends to go on a bit though.
    Also worth a read for some decent blood and guts is the Orkneyinga, written around 1230 it’s the saga of the Viking Jarls of Orkney. EDIT. I can’t remember what it was but I read a book on Norse mythology some years ago, very entertaining, especially Thor’s visits to Midgard (Earth) which just seemed to be about proving he could drink more and fight better than the Men. probably any decent book on the subject would do.
    And The Odyssey is also a great read if you like a touch of fantasy about about your reads.
    Finally, just to put a different twist on things Nigel Tranter’s MacBeth the King giving a more historically accurate story than the one you’re probably familiar with. Decent read including MacBeth’s little known trip to Rome to visit the Pope accompanied by his Viking cousin. Come to think of it Lord Of The Isles about the western isles becoming a semi independant nation due to their mastery of the sea in the 13th century is pretty entertaining as well.

wicki
    Free Member

+ 1 Patrick O’brien really good books read the lot back to back.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers all, I’ve picked up an Anthony Riches Empire book in the meantime but have ordered Sussman, Dobbs and the Ken Follett books.

mark90
    Free Member

A not exactly unbiased plug for my friends book…

Cartimandua

The Iron Age is ending and the Romans are coming… In the bleak Pennines, a daughter of the ruling elite is given to Venutius of the Carvettii to strengthen the Brigantes. Together they face the arrival of the Romans in AD43. As the southern tribes fall, Cartimandua must hold onto on her vast lands, becoming a client-queen, beholden to Emperor Claudius. She is playing a dangerous tactical game, holding the advancing legions at bay, while making the sacrifices necessary for survival. When Venutius becomes resentful of her power and status, there is one man who will always stand by her – Vellocatus – her husband’s armour-bearer…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Any of the books with Eagle in the title by Simon Scarrow about life in the Roman Legions .

mogrim

If you like crime, the Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven Saylor is entertaining.

dti

+1 for child 44 and the Robert Harris,
    Umberto ego’s the name of the rose to add to the list.

Mackem

Edit – weird. The last post recommended the same book just as I thought of it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Another book thread, historical fiction recommendations’ is closed to new replies.