Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Another boiler question
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Before I ring my plumber I thought i’d consult the STW oracle on this one. I’ve got a brand new condensing boiler installed lat June. All has been well since then but i’ve recently noticed that the pipe that comes out of the bottom of the boiler that is the outlet for the condenser keeps popping off and water is coming out all over the floor below the boiler. I think this pipe doesn’t contain full flowing water, more of a drip or dribble of water, and as such the pipe is not actually fixed to the boiler – its just on a push fit type of fixing. The pipe outputs into the drain under the sink so doesn’t vent to outside, so not the issue of it freezing – not that the temperatures are cold enough to freeze at the moment.

So i’m not sure what is causing the pipe to pop off – is there some pressure build up that’s popping it off? or is it the weight of the water simply pulling it off? Also is it an indication that something is wrong or malfunctioning? It appears to be working perfectly fine with no error codes showing.

Thanks all.

spooky_b329

Can you blow down it? The condensate should just drip down it so even if blocked (or frozen) I think the boiler will just stop operating.

Could a washing machine or the sink draining be causing air pressure in the waste pipe to pop the pipe off the boiler?

They normally have a copper pipe going outside in case it needs to discharge water under pressure I think, normally just pointed down the wall rather than into a drain.

alanl
    Free Member

Some are push fit, and can come off.
    Ring him to come back to secure it properly.
    Glowworm are the worst. They have a non-standard outlet size, so normal 20mm waste pipe does not push on, so you need a blowlamp to soften the plastic, then push it on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks, i’ll check its not blocked and look how to secure better. I’ve tried some duct tape, but it doesn’t seem to have worked.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Another boiler question’ is closed to new replies.