Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Another Bivvy Thread
  • Nick

Anyone used one of these as their sleeping & bivvy bag? What was it like?

Blizzard Survival Bag

joemarshall
    Free Member

Yes. I used one for a night in a forest in Snowdonia (I think it was April, some time in spring anyway). It snowed on me. It was cold and uncomfortable, but I survived. I wouldn’t choose to do it again though,

I’ve also slept in one on a summer night in deepest Surrey, but with a sleeping mat. It was not all that cold, not so uncomfortable, and okay.

They are noisy and cold compared to a sleeping bag, but very very light / small. It is a bit of a hassle to repack into the stuff sack, but doable.

Personally, having experimented with it, I wouldn’t plan to bivvy in one of these, but it is a handy emergency thing to take out on a very long ride just in case.

Joe

gusamc
    Free Member

I used a space blanket once (and I’m note sure how close yours is too that), however I nearly sweated to death, so suggest a breathability check.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Forget it. This is last resort emergency stuff, the sort of thing you might carry to use if you’re out on a remote epic and need to stay warm when you’ve broken a limb.
    If you’re going to bivvy by choice you need a goretex bag or similar, plus a carrymat and a sleeping bag (or just a liner if its warm enough).
    Condensation is your biggest problem if you don’t go for a good breathable piece of kit.
    You also want it to be big enough to stuff your gear into the foot of it to keep it dry.

cp

what ecky-thump said!

montylikesbeer

In my view bivvying is about enjoying the outdoors especially Scotland and the ability to move light across the hill.

A good down light bag, light weight bivvy bag and mat are essential.

It just makes it all that more enjoyable and fun

joemarshall
    Free Member

I used a space blanket once (and I’m note sure how close yours is too that), however I nearly sweated to death, so suggest a breathability check.

Forget it. This is last resort emergency stuff, the sort of thing you might carry to use if you’re out on a remote epic and need to stay warm when you’ve broken a limb.
    If you’re going to bivvy by choice you need a goretex bag or similar, plus a carrymat and a sleeping bag (or just a liner if its warm enough).

It is actually quite a bit different from a space blanket. A bit condensationy, but nothing like a plastic emergency bag or plain foil bag. I still wouldn’t choose to use it unless I really didn’t want the weight of a sleeping bag etc., but if you don’t want to carry a ton of gear like this guy is suggesting, it’d just about scrape by.

Personally I think the best solution for bivvying I’ve found is a waterproof down sleeping bag, with no bivvi bag. Lighter weight, and just as good as using a separate bivvi. I take a camping mat if I am going to be sleeping on rocks, or it is cold out, otherwise, you’d be amazed at how many places you can find a comfy bit of ground to snooze on. In summer my sleeping gear is 540g, which is enough to make no difference to my riding fun.

Joe

montylikesbeer

I agree with you Joe, however a light weight bivvy bag such as a Hunka from alpkit weighs next to nothing and gives almost complete reassurance.

I was travelling over the Tyndrum hills last weekend bivvying out for a couple of nights with a down bag, hunka, wee aric mat and a jet boil cooker.

It was a fantastic trip

Nick

Cheers fella’s, I’ve got an army goretex bag, PD400 sleeping bag and wee aric mat, all up weight inc an alpkit 20l sack is 2kg so I’m ready and raring to go, it’s friend who was looking at this because Alpkit are out of stock in the Hunka and I’m gagging to get out there and give bivvying a go.

This looks/sounds v.much like the Hunka

Bivvy Bag

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Trekmates bags are pretty good and don’t cost a fortune.

Stuart

Nick

Joe – which waterproof sleeping bag to you use?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Another Bivvy Thread’ is closed to new replies.