Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • ..Another ALPS tire Question….
  • moniex
    Free Member

Hi, I know this has been done, but you guys may give me some different advise as I am a wuss and not too heavy..

Will be off to the alps riding an orange 5 with 160 floats. I am a wuss, will get down some reds, but no big drops, or high speeds for that matter.

I am about 10 stone and not too clumsy of a rider.

I have the original maxxis advantage tyres on the 5, but not too sure on these for the alps.

I will ride in the dry and on damp trails, not in the rain when the rocks are really soaked as it wont be worth the risk as I ride with my 11 year old.

Any suggestions?

thx

Simone

jimmy

Been to the Alps a few times and always use Maxxis Minnion 2.35 on the front. Was in Les Arcs last week and might have preferred a 2.5 but unless you’re chomping up rock gardens 2.35 is fine.

On the back your Advantages might be fine if big enough to match the front.

dan45a
    Free Member

Depends where you are in the alps.

Just got back from morzine and I would advise a mud tyre up front. I quckly fitted my wetscream after 1 run on plenney.

If wasnt raining while i was riding but the trails in the forest were soooo wet and muddy after all the bad weather leading up to my trip.

Just change it up front. Suppose a minion dhf 2.5 ST will cover most senarios.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Been to the Alps a number of times including the Mega and have never had a problem with bog standard tyres.

In terms of Tyre choice I tried a muddy mary for my last trip and found it excellent in all conditions.

moniex
    Free Member

we will be in, morzine 9-17 aug. It may be dry, so will the minion be ok for wet and dry?

Cheers

michaelonabicycle
    Free Member

Just fitted some Schwalbe Hans Dampfs for my Alps trip next week – Read some great reviews online. Did a local ride at the weekend on them. Good volume for a 2.3, front is a softer compound which should help. Lets just hope its not TOO muddy!

moniex
    Free Member

like the sound of the hans dampf, but would prefer just to change the front.

How about this one:

linky

or will i need the super tacky compound? Sorry, this is all new to me!

michaelonabicycle
    Free Member

Should be fine. Seen lots of people suggest the ST super tacky on the front. adds a bit more grip and not a lot of drag, being on the front.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

On my Lap Spicy I’m going out with a dual ply 2.5 ST Minion DHF up front and another dual ply Minion on the back but in 2.35 600/Maxxpro flavour. They’re both setup tubeless on Stans

jes
    Free Member

May get away with a 2.35 option being light or if you want to pedal uphill.

But for the front 2.5 Minion DHF double ply 42a, for the rear 60a this will get you through most stuff, and take a spare tyre just in case.

superfli
    Free Member

A mate I was with a couple of weeks ago was usnig Advantage’s in the Alps – Tignes/Val/Les Arcs/Pila in mixed conditions. He never had any problems and they looked nice and chunky. If not dual ply, I would def get hold of some DH tubes though.
    I used Minion DHF 2.5 ST up front and 2.35 rear. Immensely grippy even on wet roots+rocks, not a slip all week. In fact I find riding at home (S.England) far more treacherous in the wet!
    Its been mentioned on here that stuff costs loads out in the Alps, maybe it does in Morzine and others, but Bourg St Maurice bike shops were no more expensive than at home (and they stocked hope pads btw).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m popping a 2.5 Minion ST on the front and a 2.35 HR on the rear for some ‘XC’ lift-assisted alpine riding.

tomhoward

Im off next week to Alpe D’Huez, taking an Intense slopestyle with Minion DHF and DHR 2.5 ST dual ply, and a pair of wetscream 2.5 st’s for when (not if) it rains!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘..Another ALPS tire Question….’ is closed to new replies.