Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Another 1×10 thread – SRAM content
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Hi all

Sorry about another thread about going 1x!

Just ordered myself a new 29er which I intend running 1×10. I have a couple of questions however about the conversion.

My current xc bike has a triple but I never require the granny ring – ie i can get away with a 32-36 for 99% of my riding. How would this translate to big wheels? Would a 30/36 be similar?

If so will a 30 tooth fit on a sram x9 crank, or failing that an SLX crank. And if so can you recommend a cheap NW one?

If I end up deciding I need a bale out gear i’m assuming id need to replace the sram cassette with an xt version and a one up/hope extender. Will a sram x9 type 2 rear mech work with that set up?

Assume I can’t utilise a rad cage if I wanted to run this set up. How important is it to have this, or will the bike run ok with a standard x9 setup and 42 tooth cog.

Just trying to work out whethr its worth swappping the Sram stuff for XT before it gets used to give me more options in the future

thanks

fr0sty125
    Free Member

FYI some X9 cranks have a funny BCD but if they are GXP you can run a spiderless NW ring which will save a chunk of weight.

Stiggy

Also you won’t need a Rad cage as all it basically does is turn a Shimano cage into a Sram cage 🙂

Dog-Ears
    Free Member

Whyte 29C. Sram triple removed, Hope 30t thick/thin up front, XT 11-36t fitted out back together with T Rex 40t expander. X9 clutch long cage rear mech. All works perfectly, just a bit annoying the gap with the 17t gear missing. Not lost the chain yet and very pleased with it all.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Also you won’t need a Rad cage as all it basically does is turn a Shimano cage into a Sram cage

Does this include x9, i thought it was different to the xx and x0?

Stiggy

Its fine, I used X9.
    Just for confirmation for you, I emailed OneUp about using an X9 type 2 mech, their reply:

The RAD cage makes a Shimano derailleur work like a SRAM, so you should get great performance from your X9 derailleur.

Hope that helps.

tpbiker
    Free Member

thanks stiggy…really useful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Another 1×10 thread – SRAM content’ is closed to new replies.