• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jfb01.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Another ‘help me choose’ topic – Steel HT 29er (I think)
  • weekendworrier71
    Free Member

I’ve been away from the trails for some time now due to simply not having the available time but been doing reasonably well at squeezing in various road rides so still reasonably fit.

I’m planning on doing some basic single track trails, wind farm/fire roads and the odd Trail centre visit when I can and have a real ‘fancy’ for a Steel HT, both for style and substance.

The N+1 principle is kicking in as I still have my CaaD3 F700 (converted to disc) and a Giant VT2 in the garage but just fancy something “new” and a bit more up to date as all my experience is on 26”.

The first thing that caught my eye was a Genesis Tarn 20 (my Winter road bike is an Equilibrium disc and I love it so brand loyalty and SIR is probably behind this initial thought), that combined with the fact there was one I could throw a leg over at the lbs. I had my niggles before I event started looking at the +size due to living on the West Coast of Scotland and most of my riding will likely be winter based, so muddy – reviews suggest they’re not very good for that and although I was only on a 3 min “car park” test ride, it just felt “wallowy” and weird.

I find myself leaning towards a 29er as I imagine I want a good balance of mile munching, climbing, natural trail miles moreso than anything “aggressive”, at my age I roll stuff rather than find air

shermer75
    Free Member

Blue pill

weekendworrier71
    Free Member

Not sure what’s going on with the post from my iPad but the full version should’ve been…

I’ve been away from the trails for some time now due to simply not having the available time but been doing reasonably well at squeezing in various road rides so still reasonably fit.

I’m planning on doing some basic single track trails, wind farm/fire roads and the odd Trail centre visit when I can and have a real ‘fancy’ for a Steel HT, both for style and substance.

The N+1 principle is kicking in as I still have my CaaD3 F700 (converted to disc) and a Giant VT2 in the garage but just fancy something “new” and a bit more up to date as all my experience is on 26”.

The first thing that caught my eye was a Genesis Tarn 20 (my Winter road bike is an Equilibrium disc and I love it so brand loyalty and SIR is probably behind this initial thought), that combined with the fact there was one I could throw a leg over at the lbs. I had my niggles before I event started looking at the +size due to living on the West Coast of Scotland and most of my riding will likely be winter based, so muddy – reviews suggest they’re not very good for that and although I was only on a 3 min “car park” test ride, it just felt “wallowy” and weird.

I find myself leaning towards a 29er as I imagine I want a good balance of mile munching, climbing, natural trail miles moreso than anything “aggressive”, at my age I roll stuff rather than find air

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shermer75
    Free Member

I used to have a VT2, can’t say anything I’ve had since has been a massive improvement tbh

weekendworrier71
    Free Member

…darnit…tech fails.

…2nd half of my post should read…

My research thus far keeps throwing up a few highly recommended options…

– Cotic Solaris
    – Marley BigWig
    – Stanton Sherpa

…I also see Orange are about to release a P7 S 29er but I think that’s more aggressive than perhaps I need.

However, the lure of Ti and especially, the On One options at similar price points appear tempting. I believe there is less “car park kudos” around the brand but Iif something’s good, it’s good – regardless of what the sticker says, the marketing budget and the sales and distribution model overheads are.

So the “badge” aside, I’ve read very good and very happy reports of Fireline Evo 29er owners and I really do like the look/lines of this bike it it appears cracking value for money just now however, there is also a newer On One Ti29er that I simply cannot find much info on at all. It would appear to be using bigger tubes and has longer chainstay length – on the aesthetics, I prefer the look of the FEVO but just wondered if anyone has any experience of the newer Ti 29er?

I imagine I’m courting controversy if I ask people to then comment between the steel options from Marley, Stanton and Cotic by comparison but after any useful insights, I’ve spent days getting back up to speed reading up on it but without the ability to really try any of these bikes, I’m going to have to take an “informed punt” I reckon.

weekendworrier71
    Free Member

VT2 was a great bike, once you swapped out the stock wheels – I put a 45 degree bend in mine on the very first outing – tree didn’t move from my badly setup first ride on full suss 😀

aldo56
    Free Member

Sounds like you won’t go far wrong with any of them. I’d be on the Stanton or Cotic over the Ragley but that’s purely down to looks.

If you have the money for a Stanton, also check out Chromag. They do some lovely 29er hardtails. (I got a Wideangle posted out direct form them in Canada and it was no hassle at all.)

mindmap3
    Free Member

If you’ve got the cash, I’d say Sherpa. They’re are Reynolds tubing (853 main tubes, 525 rear) and seem to ride really well; I have a few friends who have them and they love them.

One of them came from a Solaris and thinks the Sherpa is better for various reasons such as being a bit more fun.

NormalMan

In true STW tradition of recommend what you ride: Solaris!

Just to back that up a little. Cotic have a loyal following because they are a really nice helpful bunch. They also do a variety of demo days so worth looking at, if you can. Certainly far better than a quick spin round the car park.

I’m not sure what your budget is but they also do different build specs.

BigDummy
    Free Member

check out Chromag. They do some lovely 29er hardtails

They do. Here is my Surface. The Canadian-built ones are arguably silly money, the Taiwanese Rootdowns aren’t too bad, and Chromag are a pleasure to deal with. Surface is a bit rowdier than the Cotic Solaris is (or at least than mine was a few years back). Excellent bike, been very pleased with it and it’s currently my only one. 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

If you sit on an One on or Titus and then sit on something like a Cotic or Stanton you’ll notice there is a huge difference.

Also its a Ragley Big wig (29) or a Ragley Marley (650), not a Marley big wig

duckman

Again in the tradition of what you own….Genesis Tarn!

corroded
    Free Member

*cough* there’s a complete Shand in the classifieds that would love to go back home to Scotland.

BillOddie

the Taiwanese Rootdowns aren’t too bad

I love mine, probably would only swap it for a Canadian built version (The Surface) or something truely custom. The newer Rootdown BA looks a bit rowdier (and is 27+ compatible) but still climbs very well apparently (as is needed on Whistler’s non-bike park trails).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JKK9xW]2016-07-31_07-36-03[/url] by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr

weekendworrier71
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice and recommendations.

@mindmap3 – any issues with corrosion on your mates Sherpa’s? Had heard of someone suffering it around BB?

@Normalman – played around on build specs/custom today, looking like it’s around £2.2K for what I’m after.

@BigDummy – love the look of the Chromag Surface but it’s seriously pushing the price up £££

@thepodge – 😀 Maybe I’ve just created a new hybrid for Ragley, it was late is my excuse 😀 There’s no doubt the Fireline Evo is value for money but something niggling me over a quality steel build over a value for money Ti – I’ve seen a fair few Planet X road bikes and to be fare, they look good and the few owners I know have rated them, back in the day the Inbred was up there with a Cotic Soul so just wondered these days how that would fare?

@duckman – so gon then, you rate your Tarn? What version do you have then? I half thought of getting the higher specced 20 but swapping out the wheels for 29ers as their 29er spec has a 2×10 drivetrain and I want to keep it clean and simple with a 1x. I just cannot see me really using the 27.5+ wheelset so it just feels like a waste going down that route but it still a cheaper route than a new SolarisMax build.

@corroded – ooooh, I was straight over there, being the patriot I am and do love the looks of a Shand. That is a lovely looking bike, not necessarily what I was thinking of (wanted clean/simple 1x setup) but I suppose some further tinkering 😉 Could you please send me some photos, additional details (age, owners etc.) and the size/geometry to mark dot mckinlay at btopenworld dotcom.

cp

My 2016 Ragley Big Wig is a lot of fun – about time I wheeled it out again – been a while!

It has loads of rear clearance so you can run big 29er rubber and 27.5 x 3.0 fits easily if you want that option.

Rides nice.

thepodge
    Free Member

For me, I’d happily pay the extra for a Soul over an Inbred. Don’t confuse value and cheap.

jfb01
    Free Member

The 2Souls QuarterHorse is a brilliant HT ,but probably a bit pricey.Made in 853 tubes through out,stainless steel BB shell & SS lined seat tube.Hand made in Germany.Also check out Pipe Dream frames.The Moxie looks great but will not arrive until 1/18.
    Good luck ,it’s a great problem to have.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Another ‘help me choose’ topic – Steel HT 29er (I think)’ is closed to new replies.