Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • "Annual Leave"
  • kudos
    Free Member

I seem to be hearing about more and more people going on “Annual Leave”, is this in someway different from “going on holiday”?

I feel like I’m missing out cos I just have holidays, is “Annual Leave” better? Does one have to be much more important to get “Annual Leave”?

Sorry for the pointless post, it was just something I was contemplating whilst having my Daily Period of Rest, Relaxation, Recuperation & Rehydration (coffee break).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

probably more apt as sometimes we have a day off but don’t go on holiday.

peterfile
    Free Member

You didn’t really think about this very hard did you?

fasthaggis

Sure it isn’t “Annual leave” for people that are always arsin about ?

kudos
    Free Member

probably more apt as sometimes we have a day off but don’t go on holiday.

Holiday from work doesn’t necessarily mean going away…

joshvegas
    Free Member

I use some of my annual leave to go on holiday, but sometimes i use my collected statutory leave aswell.

kudos
    Free Member

collected statutory leave

Oh lord, it gets worse! Is this the inexorable march of the middle manager?

the-muffin-man

I think “annual leave” is a step above “going on holiday”. It needs to be an active/lifestyle break though to count as annual leave (I think coasteering is an essential ingredient). A week in Skegness does not qualify.

“Taking a week off” is a step down from both though as it implies you will be at home all sad and lonely – or worse, doing DIY.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Holiday from work doesn’t necessarily mean going away…

and taking a day off to paint the house or something equally dull is not any kind of holiday

kudos
    Free Member

It conjours images of palid wage-slaves, being ordered reluctantly to leave their desks by their managers before they burn out.

Can we not revert to “holiday”? Sounds far more fun than an enforced embargo.

dknwhy

Sometimes I’m on a worksmart day too…

Cougar

What about if you go on vacation?

I caught myself writing “annual leave” on my Out Of Office message a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, I caught myself in time and thus narrowly avoided disaster.

cheers_drive

Those in the corporate world pretty much all use annual leave. Foreign colleagues tend to go on vacations not holidays anyway.

tomhoward

I caught myself writing “annual leave” on my Out Of Office message a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, I caught myself in time and thus narrowly avoided disaster.

I failed to catch myself making this very error.

Shit.

GrahamS

What about if you go on vacation?

You mean “vacationing”?

*shudder*

molgrips
    Free Member

I seem to be hearing about more and more people going on “Annual Leave”, is this in someway different from “going on holiday”?

Yes. You can have leave off work but not actually go on holiday. You can also have statutory holidays, and you can go on holidays on those without taking any annual leave. Clear?

It’s called annual leave because it’s taken from your annual allowance of paid leave from work, but it’s shorter to type.

Also, in the US, holiday keeps its traditional meaning which is feast or festival days rather than going away somewhere. So Christmas, Easter etc.

joshvegas
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    I failed to catch myself making this very error.
    Shit.
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Out of Office…. Balls, knew there was something i forgot!

Northwind

I might take a TOIL day later this week, or I might take an annual leave day, not sure yet. Not a holiday though.

scotroutes

Are we discussing the difference between “taking a holiday” and “going on holiday”?

In any case, very few of mine are taken on Holy Days so annual leave works as being more secular.

ads678

What about just having a day off, is that ok?

igm

In other news squadies are now being granted holidays from their soldiering jobs…

MrOvershoot

I saved this off here about 3 years ago!

You’re going on your hols mate. You dress it up whatever colour you like, but at the end of the day, you and I both know you’re going to go spend a fortnight sitting on a sunlounger, wearing the same pair of board shorts and drinking San Miguel til your head hurts.

Or are you now too important to have a “Holiday”?

bigblackshed

Out of Office…. Balls, knew there was something i forgot!

I purposely don’t bother. I like the anticipation of the torrent of venting emails when I get back from “holiday” from those lazy arsed gits who won’t get up from their desk and come in to the next office to talk to me.

I also delete any unanswered email over a week old. If it hasn’t risen to the top of my to do list in that time, it wasn’t important. And I certainly don’t look at emails when on holiday. Or outside work for that matter. 😆

Oh, it’s not “the holidays”, is bloody Christmas.

fasthaggis

Can’t wait to get my R&R in two weeks.

igm

Sunlounger, boards shorts, San Miguel?

I so won’t you know.

MoreCashThanDash

Wait till you enter the realms of TOIL, flexi and privilege leave 🙄

timidwheeler

I have A/L, RDIL, TOIL, BHIL and BH. They are all different types of holiday.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If i didnt have any holydays left could I just use sick holidays instead?

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh, it’s not “the holidays”, is bloody Christmas.

In the US Christmas is Christmas. The holiday season means from October or November to Christmas, because there’s more than one holiday in that period.

Notter
    Free Member

We have “PTO” or Paid Time Off…..
    I always say I’m going on holiday…….

fasthaggis

Can you now have a Holiday that is/was so sick ,that you could call it sick leave ?

kudos
    Free Member

Also, in the US, holiday keeps its traditional meaning which is feast or festival days rather than going away somewhere. So Christmas, Easter etc.

We’re in England. We have holidays. Holidays from work, holidays in the sun, Bank Holidays, Public Holidays, religious holidays, jolly holidays, etc, etc, etc.

When someone tells me they’ve been on annual leave, I die a little inside.

When someone tells me they’ve been off on holiday, I ask if they’ve done anything nice; been anywhere interesting. I know it’s only semantics, and they may well tell me about a fortnight sweating in the same board shorts drinking gassy Spanish lager, but one is frigid management speak, and the other sounds nice and fun and invites questions. So I’m going to stick with “holidays”.

peterfile
    Free Member

I know it’s only semantics

So why get your knickers in a twist and start a thread about it then? 🙂

fasthaggis

So why get your knickers in a twist and start a thread about it then?

He/she may be related to Molgrips 😉

D0NK

and taking a day off to paint the house or something equally dull is not any kind of holiday

what he said. If I’m doing something nice I’m having “a holiday” or “a day off”, if it’s something boring or none of your business it’s “annual leave”.

molgrips
    Free Member

Am I a big hitter yet?

fasthaggis

I don’t know ,how’s the diet going ?

🙂

kudos
    Free Member

So why get your knickers in a twist and start a thread about it then?

I’ll be sure to check with you whether a subject is threadworthy in future… 🙄

Cougar

It’s called annual leave because it’s taken from your annual allowance of paid leave from work, but it’s shorter to type.

You know what’s even shorter? “Leave.” What business is it of anyone else whether it’s annual or not? Moreover, who cares?

“I’m on leave, I’ll be back on [date]” is all you need, anything else is just your fingers bouncing up and down on those little letters.

scotroutes

Cynic-al and I were discussing the BHL (Big Hitter List) on Saturday. He didn’t mention you, so I guess not.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘"Annual Leave"’ is closed to new replies.