Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Annecy-Semnoz advice please
  • MarkE25

I’m lucky enough to be going to watch stage 20 of the tour next week at Annecy Semnoz. Having never been before, I was after some advice about the best way to get up to the finish. I’m assuming the road will be shut well in advance and the best option is to cycle up in the morning and find a good spot? It is a family outing so I will be towing the kids in the trailer. Has anybody ridden this climb? If so, what is it like and how long does it take from Annecy town centre to get up to the ski station at Semnoz? Is there much there? Any info. Gratefully received
    Cheers

jet26
    Free Member

Rode it Sunday in the etape. From town it’s about 16km give or take. Large parts of it are 10% plus gradients and it kicks up to 13-14% at various points.

Good climb though.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

The gendarmerie are usually pretty strict once the road is closed and will often stop you even riding a bike up.
    They will let you walk up though, so I would take some flats and trainers if you are not in a rush, makes it easier to walk if you are asked to get off.

MarkE25

Thanks for the advice-flats sounds a good plan if I need to walk. How far in advance of the finish time do they usually close the road?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Very much depends, but its well before, usually first thing in the morning.
    It’s great to ride/walk up though, usually a great atmosphere and lots will be doing the same.

Gilles

I’m afraid I can’t resist to plug my video going doing the Semnoz on Day 3 of my last year holiday:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iecZ7aO_6II[/video]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Annecy-Semnoz advice please’ is closed to new replies.