Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Anne Robinson does niqabs
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah I mean, what an arsehole. Who doesn’t want to see sexy people on beautiful beaches when surrounded by mouth breathing sewer dwellers?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah but guuuuuuuuyz don’t you get it, the veil is about feminist modesty – it’s about choosing not be like all these poor poor white sluts who fall prey to decadent western capitalism. You see they are godless sluts with no agency, but me – I have made a choice you guyyyyzzz. Respect me guyyyyz.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2015/jun/24/hijab-not-oppression-feminist-statement-video

I’m going to hell, aren’t I?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

In which culture do you feel women have the most freedom? A culture where they are free to chose what to wear, what to say, what to think, what to do…

You have to pity women who live in a culture were they are told what to wear by men.

Barbaric!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Can we agree that boths sides of the argument are usually put forward by utter cretins – and that it’s sad that either side are arguing over who forces who to wear what. Both groups literally argue from a different side of the same bloody coin and both sides views are driven by prejudice.

I’m reminded of the Catcher in the Rye quote;

“Anyway, I’m sort of glad they’ve got the atomic bomb invented. If there’s ever another war, I’m going to sit right the hell on top of it. I’ll volunteer for it, I swear to God I will.”

That’s how I feel about this argument.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I forgot about the forum rule stating that you must have a personal connection to an issue before being allowed to express an opinion. I think that needs tighter moderation.

there is no such rule you are free to wax lyrical on any subject irrespective of personal insight as some posters show only to regularly
    In the west you dont see men wearing skirts- its largely because society would judge you in a certain way if you did. Do you view yourself as conditioned and oppressed by society for this or do you not actually care and just wear trousers?

Like the Burkha you can argue its[not being able to wear skirts] oppression and lack of freedom or choice and culture as you see fit
    I just tire of those who only see the muslamics as the ones being oppressed

Even though law here allows us to wear what we want, the fact honour killings by brothers or fathers still happen when daughters go against their family traditions should give insight into just how strongly some women are controlled.

Have you never noticed that mothers and daughters are also usually involved in these murders?
    Its not just men and not just daughters who get killed. That said there is no defence to be made of such horrific actions

It’s laughable and completely wrong headed to it’s disrespectful to women to be against the wearing of the niqab.

Pay attention i said this

Can we please stop pretending that every woman who is wearing one was made to do it by a man. Given you are arguing about respect its an incredibly disrespectful to the women to say this. Its also absurd to say no man can tell you what to wear so I am going to tell you what you can wear.

Now you agree its wrong for Muslims to tell women what to wear all I need now is for you to agree it wrong for us to do it aswell. Would you care to join me on this step or do you wish to just criticise muslims who tell women what to wear?

PersonallY i dont like it but personally what a woman wears is none of my business

It is not racist or offensive to be objectively critical of societies which routinely oppress, subjugate and murder atheists, homosexuals or transgender individuals because of medieval superstition and dogma. Similarly it’s not offensive, sexist or racist to be critical of societies where women are second class citizens.

Dont disagree but what is wrong is to think every single woman in that attire was made to do it by a man.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

In the west you dont see men wearing skirts

You do when it’s culturally appropriate.

Lack of freedom? (said in a Braveheart sort of way?)

More like most blokes don’t have the knees for it.

Now you agree its wrong for Muslims to tell women what to wear all I need now is for you to agree it wrong for us to do it as well

Indeed it is. Some women like covering themselves, no doubt. Some don’t have the choice. How can you tell who is who?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

In the west you dont see men wearing skirts- its largely because society would judge you in a certain way if you did. Do you view yourself as conditioned and oppressed by society for this or do you not actually care and just wear trousers?

And that’s it in a nutshell. But it’s OK for me to criticise others because…

EDIT:

I forgot about the forum rule stating that you must have a personal connection to an issue before being allowed to express an opinion.

But you can’t deny that talking to, interacting with and experiencing different cultures first hand might be just a little more insightful than simply opining based on what one sees.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Anne Robinson does niqabs’ is closed to new replies.