Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anna Karenina
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tried to read this book but for various reasons failed three times, so was keen to watch the film. Enjoyable night out – takes liberties with the novel by all accounts but interesting idea in staging (without giving too much away, most scenes take place in a theatre), and good performances from Keira Knightley *, Jude Law and Matthew Macfadyen (playing Simon Callow!!).

* on my theme of bias, funny how the ladies in our party were less impressed than the men by KK performance!

I’d rather wipe my arse with nettles….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Always good to know that! 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

One of my favourite novels ever.

Not a chance in Hell I’d watch the film…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

noteeth, I said the same about Taboo. But the film was a right romper.

Gunz
    Free Member

Which of the females there were you impressing your sensitive, arty side upon. Did it work?

noteeth
    Free Member

What broad tastes you have, DD. 🙂

Personally, I can’t imagine a more irritating combination than Keira Knightley and Jude Law.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Personally, I can’t imagine a more irritating combination than Keira Knightley and Jude Law.

Piles and diarrhoea?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I thought that too no teeth, but Law was surprisingly good IMO and took a while to realise it was him. Not aurprisingly, given that KK was playing AK she comes across differently than normal and much less sympathetically.

But a different take on things and an easy night out. I went along not knowing anything about the film and merely found it entertaining for mid week. Hence the PSA!

noteeth
    Free Member

Piles and diarrhoea?

Infinitely preferable.

but Law was surprisingly good IMO and took a while to realise it was him.

Really? I knew it was the annoying prat immediately from the trailer

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes truly! I hadn’t seen any trailers for the film before hand so went in completely blind on setting/cast etc ( except Kneightly). Spur of the moment decision as I had never finished the book.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I have no plans to watch it as it looks dull and dreary. Not my cup of tea. I imagine, however, that wifey and daughter will happily go and watch it – once they have finished their little fix of Downton (something I systematically avoid).

emsz
    Free Member

Anna’s not supposed to he a sympathetic character THM. She represents intensity and giving into passion, and Levin is the opposite, struggling with duty and love.

It’s one of my favs 😳

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I appreciate that emsz, that’s why it’s nice to see Kenightly take on the role. In relation to the book (as I understand it) Levin’s character is much less developed in the film, apart from the scenery shots to make the contrast with Moscow and St P society! Must make an attempt to read it properly now.

As an aside, it’s interesting how films are such closed shops. Same actors/actresses combine with same producers….this film and the new Merril Streep one. Branagh was the same in the past.

Even thought the climax is well known and clearly foreshadowed in the film, it still made me jump!!!

philconsequence
    Free Member

is this a ‘must see in the cinema’ film or can i wait to watch it at home?

emsz
    Free Member

Levin is pretty dull though!!! I missed out loads of stuff where he drones on and on about farming, then its pesants then its religion!! Dull.

Think keria would make a pretty good Anna

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sounds like the film did a better job then emsz 😉

Not sure Phil. As I said, spur of the moment thing for me and I was pleasantly surprised. Part of the surprise was the staging – works well on a big screen. Almost feels like you have been at a play not a film. Not sure about DVD unless you have a mega screen that is!!! Not a must see, but still I enjoyed it.

philconsequence
    Free Member

hmmmmm adding that to the cinema list then 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not the best topic for newlyweds though phil!!!

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’d only bother going if KK gets run over by a train in the end. That would be worth watching.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anna Karenina’ is closed to new replies.