Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Animation software
  • Alex

My 14 year old daughter is really enjoying animating stuff (mainly Manga) using all sorts of freeware. Does anyone have a view on a good 2-D animation package (pref for PC, the MAC ANIME one looks great but means I’ll lose use of my MAC!) that’s not CS6 and a million quid?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CS6 on subscription as cloud

rewski
    Free Member

flash used to be great for animation, vector based drawing tools too.

doris
    Free Member

There might be something from these guys

toon boom

The animate pro software is pricey but they have some simplier kids stuff that might be of use? I have only had a play with the animate pro software and it was pretty easy and powerful to use (work gets in the way!) so the kids stuff should be good.

Iain

poonprice
    Free Member

GIMP + Blender maybe?

greeble
    Free Member

Toon Boom or Cel Action are industry standard

grum
    Free Member

If you’re a student I think you can get a CS6 subscription for about £15 a month. Amazing value.

Alex

Thank All. I’ve have a look with here this evening. THat CS6 deal is a good looking call. Not considered that.

Alex

Right having had a discussion with said teenager, it now appears she wants to develop in flash. Dead Platform I say as a respected IT professional of 20+ years. I know nothing apparently 😉 I can get Adobe Flash Pro (it’s not ont the CS cloud bundle) for about £130 off ebay which is still a bit HOW MUCH.

But I guess if it’s flash then it’s going to be adobe. Oh I’m being told it does HTML as well. So that’s okay then 😉

grum
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not on the creative cloud package?

https://creative.adobe.com/apps

Flash is kind of dead in terms of web animation but its still a perfectly valid tool for creating animation.

Alex

Yeah I just saw that. It’s just not called CS6. I’ve dropped them a mail..

grum
    Free Member

Oops double post.

Alex

Ah hah, indeed it is. Right then we’re going ‘into the cloud’. Thanks all… 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Toontastic

grum
    Free Member

Enjoy!

The other software you get is bloody awesome BTW. I imagine Illustrator could be useful for your daughter but I use Photoshop, Premiere and Lightroom all the time too and they’re superb pieces of software. Reasonable learning curve involved – there’s lots of tutorial videos etc on ‘Adobe TV’ on their website that are quite useful.

Not sure about the others but with Lightroom you can definitely use your license for two machines. 😉

Alex

Have an old version of lightroom so that’s quite an exciting piece of info you’ve provided there 🙂

fisha
    Free Member

With the creative cloud subscription, you can install the software on 2 different machines as long as your basically just using one at time. It is talked about on the Adobe help pages.

For example, I have the subscription, and up until recently was using a Windows 7 PC. I’ve just changed to a Mac, went to the Adobe site, logged in and downloaded CS6 stuff onto the iMac. No questions assked other than logging in to begin with.

I could swap between using the software on either machine and it never questioned it.

If you can get the education pricing for creative cloud, its a brilliant deal imho. I think its £22 / month for me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have premiere installed on 2 PC’s currently. Still in the trial but the cloud thing should allow, as you will log into each one when you open it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Animation software’ is closed to new replies.