Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Animals you'd love to see in the wild, but haven't
  • Rorschach
    Free Member

Surly faced shitehawk.

Pembo
    Free Member

Gorilla. Always fascinate me when I see them in zoos and on the bucket list to see them in the wild.

Northwind

Haggis. Only ever seen dead ones.

shifter
    Free Member

I’d be over the moon just to see a red squirrel 😕

CountZero

Rorschach – Member
    Surly faced shitehawk.

Heh, the old name for Red Kites was Shitehawks, ‘cos of the huge numbers of them squabbling with the ravens over the crap and offal that used to get dumped into the streets in London, before things got cleaned up.

CraigW
    Free Member

Beavers. Hopefully going to become more widespread in Scotland sometime soon.

And lynx would be cool (though probably less likely in Scotland…).

Philby

A highly poisonous snake such as a taipan, black mamba or king cobra. Alternatively one of the big constrictor snakes.

neil_1979
    Free Member

I’d love to see a red squirrel in the wild in the uk

iolo
    Free Member

I’d love to see red squirrels in the uk.
    You can sit in any park in Vienna and see reds as common as greys here. They also have black ones there too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh, I’ve seen one, in the Lakes – just a glimpse on a ride.

I’ve seen loads in Europe but they aren’t quite the same – much less red, just rusty brown really. UK ones are apparently a subspecies and are brick red.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The Coelacanth!

And a Giant / Colossal Squid, but preferably from inside some kind of large armoured vessel because they are basically just Kraken aren’t they!

Northwind

There’s a nice overlap of red squirrel populations and mountain bike trails- I’ve only seen them at Mabie but I’m told they’re around in reasonable numbers at dalbeattie, kirroughtree and drumlanrig to name just a couple. We had a small population on our campus (edge of Edinburgh) until very recently but no reported sightings for a while, there’s enough unmaintained woodland that we might still have some but it seems that they’re pretty much done 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Northwind you could go looking for evidence. You know those gnawed up pinecones squirrels drop? I think Reds eat them in a different way, so you can tell which ones you have.

Houns

Panda, all the big cats especially Tigers and Snow leopards

Oh and the Cannock beast, I’ve only heard this

JoeG
    Free Member

A bigfoot/sasquatch/yeti! 😉

trevron73
    Free Member

i was kitesurfin in Ireland when i had an”off” and a seal got very interested ? i shit my self as i was in my rubber suit and was being stalked ? the wife shit her self and thought i was gonna get eaten by 100 kilo of blubber ?

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted to see a Scottish wild cat and a pine marten. I’d better go mountain biking in Scotland!

passtherizla
    Free Member

on rides in scotland I have seen.
    Pine marten
    Otter
    Golden Eagles
    Red Squirrel

and all on the same ride! from Kilmore up through Glen cruitin and out to gallanach.

Edric64
    Free Member

An otter up close.

There was one in the moat of the bishops palace at Wells Cathedral a few years ago

gears_suck
    Free Member

weejase40 – Member
    An Armadillo ,crazy mother ******s.
    – See more at: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/animals-youd-love-to-see-in-the-wild-but-havent#sthash.wySVgGS9.dpuf

I was out on a night ride with my buds iin NW Arkansas and we startled one that was chilling just off the trail. I didn’t know till then that they can jump (pretty high) when frightened. He got up to my friends shoulder height as he passed. Quite alarming
    Because, yes. They are crazy mother *******s

DezB
    Free Member

not enough night riding.

Bloody cheek! I’ve done more night rides than you’ve had hot dinners. (Maybe).
    Not seen a stupid badger though.

2hottie
    Free Member

Philby

After nearly running over a baby Eastern Brown Snake on the bike I can confirm that it certainly grabs your attention! Every wiggly looking stick after that for the next two weeks was treated by my mind as a snake! They are that common in my work area so much so, that we have yearly reminder training on how to avoid getting bitten! and if you do what to do afterwards!

Still I prefer them to the spiders here! saw a bloody big Huntsman today 100mm in the legs so only a baby….

For me the animal I’d like to see would be the Snow Leopard. One of my favourite big cats… Also as mentioned above Wolves they are on my list!

richmtb

In the UK I’d love to see Otters and a Sea Eagle.

The second one I’m pretty sure I’ve seen at a distance (about 2,000 feet above me!) but I’d love to see one a bit closer, they are awesome things.

I’d love to see a Killer Whale, and a Great White too, but not too close up!

chickenman

April’s sighting of a Sperm Whale in the Firth of Lorne was quite special. Sea Eagles and Otters in Scotland and Magellanic Penguins ,Rheas, Guanacos, Flamincos, Torrent Ducks and Condors in Patagonia.
    I’ve never seen Pine Martins or Capercailles in the wild yet.

neninja
    Free Member

In the UK on a bike ride: a pine martin.

This for me. Rumours that there might be a small population in Hamsterley Forest and I hold out hope that I might spot one but never have.

marcus7
    Free Member

A cow, never seen one in the wild, only on farms, dunno if there are any in the UK but id love to see em running free as it were…

molgrips
    Free Member

I almost ran over a fairly big snake in the UK – about 3 miles from the centre of Cardiff!

Closest I have come to wild cows is buffalo in the US national grasslands.

For European wildlife spotting head to Poland for that wilderness national park. Really want to go there.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

End of.

annebr
    Free Member

I’d love to see some big cats and wolves in the wild. Bears would be cool too.

miketually
    Free Member

We have otters just along from us though don’t see them that often, but I did once see one in the canalised part of the river through the town centre.

We see urban foxes a lot, but they’re still cool to see. Quite a few deer in the field round the edge of town as well, and have seen them in Hamsterley a good few times.

My aunt and her husband live in Scotland and have semi-tame badgers that come and eat food off their deck at night 🙂

My brother lives out in the sticks in British Columbia so often meets bears on the gravel road to their house. They’ve had a cougar in their garden, too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Id love to see an Otter.

If you want to see red squirrels, come to the Isle of Wight, thats all we have down here, none of this common grey muck oh no.

Oh and on night rides, I’ve heard Tigers roaring (yes really). There’s are few at the zoo in Sandown. It shits me right up still. There’s something about a deep roar that says “get the **** out of there”!

Northwind

We spotted what was probably a lammergeier up near Tignes, that was pretty amazing- the sheer size of the thing made it seem unreal, sort of like how really big planes seem to hang in the air because you can’t get the size to match up with the speed and distance. Kind of unearthly, talk about majestic. So I’d love to see that up close, it was too far away to see any detail or properly ID it.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Pine marten for me too.

solarpowered
    Free Member

I’m so lucky!… I’ve seen a Scottish wild cat 😉

I’d love to see African wild dogs …. They are so majestic…

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

A dragon.

mightymule
    Free Member

The list is just too long to type.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

After nearly running over a baby Eastern Brown Snake on the bike I can confirm that it certainly grabs your attention!

I’ve done that! Thought it was a strip of eucalyptus bark and fair shat myself!

Saw an Echidna walking by the side of the road too.

Chased badgers down the trails regularly, and chased kangaroos in Oz. Seen lots of red squirrels round here, and in the Lakes.

Scottish Wildcat would be ace.

nedrapier

Oh and on night rides, I’ve heard Tigers roaring (yes really). There’s are few at the zoo in Sandown. It shits me right up still. There’s something about a deep roar that says “get the **** out of there”!

When my dad first moved to London, he found digs near Regents park, not knowing about London Zoo. The found at sharpish after hearing the Lions roaring on his first night!

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Animals you'd love to see in the wild, but haven't’ is closed to new replies.