• This topic has 121 replies, 94 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 2 posts - 121 through 122 (of 122 total)
  • Angry/Violent walker incident. What would you have done?
  • muddyfunster
    Free Member

convert
    You on a mild down slope but about go up a steep one so presume you were carrying max potential speed to carry you up the oncoming hill. Path is “only” 5ft wide and you were going through a stream for max splash potential. Put yourself in their shoes – could your actions have seemed intimidating or at least a bit presumptuous that they should be stepping off the path or slowing down to give you room?

I know how that sounds, and I know you’re only playing devils advocate, but that’s not how it played out. We were cruising, jogging speed or less. My mate, when he crossed the stream (on his single speed) was almost static on the uphill until he got some power down…by this stage they had deviated from their own path to obstruct his. When this didn’t work, they very obviously, and very deliberately turned their attention to me.
    Where the down meets stream, and continues uphill there is also a gentle corner bearing right. The walker who shoved me rightly anticipated the natural line I would need to take to clear the stream (or I would have hit it off camber). He literally stood at the edge of the stream facing me and side stepped into my way. It was like he was getting ready to tackle someone in rugby etc. Him getting splashed was more a result of him stopping me in the stream, than me stopping in a manner so as to splash him (that was just a bonus). It was also the thing that set him off it seems.

I can honestly say I am glad I didn’t raise a fist and now feel like the bigger man (even though he was literally the bigger man). As I said, I always thought I would be the one to kick off in that sort of situation but I am glad I didn’t, not out of fear of conflict (because I definately would have emptied both of them), but more from a moral high ground aspect.

hora
    Free Member

You on a mild down slope but about go up a steep one so presume you were carrying max potential speed to carry you up the oncoming hill. Path is “only” 5ft wide and you were going through a stream for max splash potential. Put yourself in their shoes – could your actions have seemed intimidating or at least a bit presumptuous that they should be stepping off the path or slowing down to give you room?

How many times have walkers walking up a slope observed riders coming down barely in control? Yes sir you have 6inch disc rotors but the way you descend looks like you have poor body position, screeching brakes and your riding face looks a wee bit scared.

Now you see this and someone comes close to you so abit further along you think its going to happen again……

We all seem to think we are descending gods but how many times have we been close to coming off descending or feeling ‘abit sketchy’. Walkers see this.

Empathy folks.

Viewing 2 posts - 121 through 122 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Angry/Violent walker incident. What would you have done?’ is closed to new replies.