Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 297 total)
  • Angry commuter – justified??
  • GrahamS

otherwise much earlier he would have said something like “ooops, that’s not what i meant”

TJ? Admit he is wrong?

So half that for a premature death by pollution? so average out around a million?

Hmmm… so if my old man dies of lung cancer who should I send the bill for £1 million to then? Sorry TJ but I don’t agree with you on this point. An RTA fatality can involve ambulances, fire crews, helicopters, lengthy hospital stays, road closures, large amounts of damage, fatal accident enquiries and so on.

Somebody popping off with a respiratory infection won’t involve any of that, except maybe a hospital stay.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You just don’t want to face up to how expensive wasteful and harmful the car addiction is

Yeah, right. Actually the Lancaster link showed that owning a car may confer 2 kinds of health benefits, which increase longevity, so having a car increases lifespan, those folks not owning cars die early and cost us billions!!! 🙄

ransos
    Free Member

linky

Driving makes you fat.

ransos
    Free Member

linky

And cycling makes you live longer

gwj72
    Free Member

Not if one of the car driving grannies of death runs you over 😀

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So, if you drive and cycle you get fat and live longer?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Owners and those with car access were
    more likely to be male, to be married or
    cohabiting, less likely to be living in a oneperson
    household, and were younger than
    were renters. They also had greater monthly
    household incomes adjusted for family size,
    were less likely to receive all household
    income from benefits, and were more likely
    to be in non-manual social classes. Given
    these characteristics, which are all positively
    associated with health, it is not surprising
    that those living in owner occupied homes
    and with car access had significantly better
    health on all eight health measures.

yes it proved if you were rich you live longer.What causal relationship did it suggest or demonstrate for cars helping you live longer besides wealth?

The overall conclusion of our study is that it
    is not that owner occupation or access to
    private transport have any intrinsic benefits
    for health, but that public renting and
    public transport as currently configured in
    the UK can have health damaging effects
    through both physical and psychosocial
    pathways

I think bith you and TJ have misrepresented here tbh. Yours was much more reasonable and interesting though and helped the debate along

ransos
    Free Member

So, if you drive and cycle you get fat and live longer?

You can do both at the same time? My, that’s quite a trick.

P.S Cycling’s good for the economy.

linky

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

This bit

Having money and a good job enhance
    one’s ability to gain access to socially
    desirable assets such as owner occupation
    and access to private transport. These
    assets may then confer two types of health
    promoting benefits; psychosocial ones
    relating to control, status, security etc.,
    and
    more practical ones relating to protection
    from health damaging features of the
    immediate environment such as damp or
    cold in the home

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The question was answered by the first reply – how on earth is there 6 pages of this rubbish?

GrahamS

The question was answered by the first reply – how on earth is there 6 pages of this rubbish?

Are you new here? 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

how on earth is there 6 pages of this rubbish?

It’s only about 3 pages if you take out the bits where people have just quoted each other. Three pages of crap is about average I’d say.

Peyote
    Free Member

It’s only about 3 pages if you take out the bits where people have just quoted each other. Three pages of crap is about average I’d say.

Yeah, but the other three pages of quoting is also crap, because they were oringinally crap, they’re just quoted crap. So really six pages of crap is what we’ve got.

Either way though it’s nothing out of the ordinary!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yeah, but the other three pages of quoting is also crap, because they were oringinally crap, they’re just quoted crap. So really six pages of crap is what we’ve got.

Either way though it’s nothing out of the ordinary!

I disagree the quoting was useful

I get your point CM that wealth allows you to buy things that confer advantages health wise. I am not convinced that the powerful psychoscial beneftits of car wonership above can actually be quantified into anything meanigful tbh

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You can do both at the same time? My, that’s quite a trick.

You’d be surprised at the kinds of tricks people in here try

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

powerful psychoscial beneftits of car wonership above can actually be quantified into anything meanigful tbh

but it does seem to indicate that they result in health benefits and longevity

ransos
    Free Member

but it does seem to indicate that they result in health benefits and longevity

Do you really think so? I suggest you re-read it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

on refelection I would say the reverse actually [tempted to leave it at that 😉

Poor housing reduces your life span rather than good housing increases it.
    Again the “benefits ” of car ownership seem somewhat wolly and I cannot see anything particualrily casual there tbh. they dont claim it either tbh hence “may”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Poor housing reduces your life span rather than good housing increases it.

Well, much of a muchness when you compare one to the other, I’m happy with either.

Again the “benefits ” of car ownership seem somewhat wolly and I cannot see anything particualrily casual there tbh. they dont claim it either tbh hence “may

Yup, pretty much the nature of Social Science research, proof is a rare thing. But a plausible underlying story might be that if life is shit, then having access to a car which gets you out of it once in a while has positive health benefits.

gwj72
    Free Member

So shall we leave it at that then?

Car owners are nice clean healthy wealthy people.
    Non owners are impoverished and doomed to premature death.

😀

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Non owners are impoverished and doomed to premature death.

– which costs the economy billions

gwj72
    Free Member

– which costs the economy billions

….but is paid for by car owners who have all the money! (And the non-owners are all povo or dead).

I might start a workhouse for non-drivers in my barn. Give them a bit of porridge and stuff, let them clean and wax my motors every day. Might chuck in a bail of straw to sleep on.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

how on earth is there 6 pages of this rubbish?

Much of it was really a means for TJ to assuage his guilt of many years as a polluter of the atmosphere.

molgrips
    Free Member

I might start a workhouse for non-drivers in my barn. Give them a bit of porridge and stuff, let them clean and wax my motors every day. Might chuck in a bail of straw to sleep on

Please don’t leave when you go back to work 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Where’s my breakdown of your fabled £1m cost per RTA death please?

Well… “Article 2 – A valuation of road accidents and casualties in Great Britain in 2009 data tables” from the DfT puts the annual cost of all road fatalities as £3,680 million and there were 2,222 people killed in road accidents in 2009 – so that would put the official DfT figure at £1.6 million per fatality.

Incidentally, the same article puts the cost of all road accidents in 2009 at £15,820 million – which is a fair chunk of that Fuel Duty revenue!

Errr, the keyword ‘breakdown’. That links to a five line xls table that has summary costs in it. I want to know:

1. What the net costs are (i.e. after netting off the benefits)
    2. What the incremental costs are (not the theroetical maxiums pretending services need to be purchased for every incident when in fact they are sunk costs)

I simply don’t believe the numbers are anything other than guesswork and are heavily weighted to make the Govts point. Govts talk bowlox all the time and can’t be trusted to provide meaningful data.

You lot should know that, you’ll be shouting ‘speed kills next’ 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

speed does kill.

boblo
    Free Member

Point of order, it’s rapid deceleration that kills 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

so does no speed. In fact it is more commonly the transition from speed to no speed which is the killiest

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Point of order, it’s rapid deceleration that kills

and rapid acceleration too

Junkyard
    Free Member

we could get very pedantic on this one

boblo
    Free Member

Just for a change 🙂

One man’s pedantry is another man’s essential detail….

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

we could get very pedantic on this one

see, you say that, but I think, in reality, you lack the skillz

Junkyard
    Free Member

the motivation, but nice goad.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

ok, one more try…

the motivation, but nice goad.

Thanks, you can be a gonad too.

zokes
    Free Member

There is actually some decent research on the stress. Car commuters are more stressed than cycle or public transport commuter – significantly so.

How was this quantified? Were people who drove generally in higher paid, more stressful jobs with greater responsibility? Just a thought….

Anyway, I’d say I was least stressed when I drive to work compared to riding or public transport, and here’s why:

1) Nice warm (or cool, as required) car, radio, leave when I want, return when I want.

2) Public transport now impossible as the bus has been rerouted. If I wanted to get to work by public transport I’d now be very stressed, as I wouldn’t get there

3) By bike, usually fine, but occasionally one near death experience (they make trucks VERY big down here), and usual fights for space at traffic islands. Also, to avoid the main roads I’m left with two crossings across main roads, which at commuting time take about 5 minutes of standing watching traffic. In the car, I can use the main road without fear of being squashed by a road train.

So despite the fact I usually cycle to work, I’m definitely less stressed when I drive. As for public transport, unilateral changes to routing and timetabling make reliance on it a somewhat tedious exercise.

Peyote
    Free Member

I might start a workhouse for non-drivers in my barn. Give them a bit of porridge and stuff, let them clean and wax my motors every day. Might chuck in a bail of straw to sleep on.

Gissa job Mista!

Peyote <non-car owner>

GrahamS

Errr, the keyword ‘breakdown’. That links to a five line xls table that has summary costs in it. I want to know:

Well you have the same Google I do – if the official Dept of Transport figures aren’t good enough then feel free to dig deeper and I’m sure you’ll find more detailed breakdowns from the DfT and the Audit Office.

Or show me some figures that say it is actually much cheaper than that.

I’m not sure there are any “benefits” in a fatal RTA??

2. What the incremental costs are (not the theroetical maxiums pretending services need to be purchased for every incident when in fact they are sunk costs)

They would only be “sunk costs” because experience determines the overall level of emergency cover they require. Just because they are paid for up front doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be substantially cheaper if there were no RTAs.

(i.e. an area may have 100 ambulances covering it. But that doesn’t mean that calling an ambulance to an RTA is free, because without any RTAs they might only need 70 ambulances for that area).

peterwp
    Free Member

What tyres for crossing narrow bridges and avoiding angry elderly ladies?

boblo
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Well you have the same Google I do – if the official Dept of Transport figures aren’t good enough then feel free to dig deeper and I’m sure you’ll find more detailed breakdowns from the DfT and the Audit Office.

Or show me some figures that say it is actually much cheaper than that.

Errr, shant. If you blithely quote, you substantiate. I’m not saying they are lower or higher, I just don’t believe they are not largely made up. ‘Official’ cuts no ice. The ‘official’ dossier on WMD’s strike a chord?

I’m not sure there are any “benefits” in a fatal RTA??

🙂 I think that was the direct/indirect benefits of the transport industry not the RTA.

They would only be “sunk costs” because experience determines the overall level of emergency cover they require. Just because they are paid for up front doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be substantially cheaper if there were no RTAs.

(i.e. an area may have 100 ambulances covering it. But that doesn’t mean that calling an ambulance to an RTA is free, because without any RTAs they might only need 70 ambulances for that area).

No it doesn’t and it also doesn’t mean total service provision costs/number of RTA’s. We don’t know what costs are included in the numbers (incremental, direct, totals etc) as we don’t have a breakdown hence the fabled £1m is largely made up though officially so that’s alright.

Best not quote numbers if you’re not too sure of them. The ‘it must be true cos so and so says so’ defence is a bit lame even in Primary school 🙂

GrahamS

Errr, shant. If you blithely quote, you substantiate… Best not quote numbers if you’re not too sure of them.

I’m sure those are the numbers published by the Department Of Transport and that seems like pretty good substantiation to me.

The table I linked was just the figures, the full thing is Article 2 of this document, which explains a little more summary detail about the figures and cites the methodology used:
    Reported Road Casualties Great Britain 2009: Articles 1-7 (PDF 672 kb)

Feel free to go as deep into that rabbit hole as you like.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 297 total)

The topic ‘Angry commuter – justified??’ is closed to new replies.