Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anglesey next week which bike ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

I’m on holiday with the family next week in North Anglesey, which bike shall I take for quick hour long rides locally ? Road / MTB or CX… No idea what kind of riding is around there besides the obvious heading towards the hills on the mainland but I really won’t have time for that.

Appreciate your advice.

breninbeener

If you are in the North there is some riding around Holyhead mountain that is offroad. MTB for that. However a road bike would allow you to explore a bit better on the local roads.

simonm
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve been googling away and it looks like best bet will be the road bike. Was hoping there maybe some green lanes to take the cross bike but they are pretty thin and far between also.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Mountain biking is pretty much non-existent on Anglesey. The roads however are great.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Road, it’s only 100 miles all the way round with loads of very quiet road intertwined within

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Take the CX bike, if you visit Amlwch you can ride the Copper Trail (green lanes etc). Plus the lanes/back roads are in shocking condition. Cemaes is worth a ride out on a sunny day, some nice Cafés on the high street but take a lock 😉

qtip

Definitely road. As has been said, some of the back roads are in pretty poor condition, but nothing that can’t be ridden on a road bike (I can say this with some authority having ridden every single road of Anglesey since September!), and the vast majority of riding doesn’t warrant a CX bike.

Where are you going to be based on the island? I can recommend some good routes if you like.

ElShalimo

CX bike all the way !!
    It will be ideal to explore the quiet overgrown lanes in the NW of the island, like this:

and don’t forget to go to the Wavecrest Cafe in Church Bay[u]…best scones in Wales!

The beach along the back of RAF Valley is okay on a CX bike too and if you get that far, Newborough Warren can be fun to explore on a CX bike.

Look on GeoGraph for examples of the roads and terrain: http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=327155

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anglesey next week which bike ?’ is closed to new replies.