• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by poah.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Angleset options and feedback
  • abdoujaparov
    Free Member

Getting close to requiring a new headset on my orange gyro, tempted to go for an angleset to slacken it off by 1.0/1.5 degrees.
    Done a bit of searching and the works and cane creek (albeit at twice the price) anglesets seem to be the two main options, although most of my searching seems to find old results and reviews.
    Any feedback on people using these? Any other options?

twang
    Free Member

I stuck a Works one on my 5 last year. Does the job but not that impressed with the quality particularly the top seal which to me seems too small and only just covers the bearings.

oldtalent
    Free Member

I’m going for works shortly, they replied to my queries in a timely manner also. Lots of reports about creaky cc anglesets.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I went Works as I’d also heard reports about creaky cc anglesets. Fitted like any other headset and no problems so far but not enough use to comment on durability. I have heard they aren’t the best sealed but bearings are cheap enough and easy to replace.

I think I read that Superstar have one in the pipeline if you want lairy colours.

chakaping
    Free Member

Does the job but not that impressed with the quality particularly the top seal which to me seems too small and only just covers the bearings.

I thought that of my first one (second was different), but it turned out to last pretty well.

So Works over CC all day long.

He’s right about Superstar having some imminently BTW, I saw a blank page for them on their site the other day.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve had two Works ones on different bikes. As said, they do the job just like any other decent headset, ime.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Had a few different works ones on different bikes, a bit agricultural looking and as had been said seals poor and bearings don’t last. When I ordered my second a few years after my first I hoped they had improved the style/design.
    But no!!!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Had a few different works ones on different bikes, a bit agricultural looking and as had been said seals poor and bearings don’t last. When I ordered my second a few years after my first I hoped they had improved the style/design.
    But no!!!

zero-cool
    Free Member

The Works headsets are great, over a year here and no problems.
    I can honestly say that every bike that has had the head angle slackened (with either these or offset bushings) has been improved by the process.

Tom KP

zero-cool
    Free Member

The Works headsets are great, over a year here and no problems.
    I can honestly say that every bike that has had the head angle slackened (with either these or offset bushings) has been improved by the process.

Tom KP

breninbeener

I have a -2 in my Orange Gyro. I did it to mimic the geometry of the Segment. It has been fantastic for the past 15 months. I would totally recommend the Works item. However my LBS said it was tough to fit.

It has made the Gyro a fantastic bike.

eltonerino

I have a Cane Creek one. I got it with my Bird Zero at -0.5 to start with. I now have it a -1.5 and I didn’t really notice a difference (but that might just be me).

It seems good quality, but my LBS didn’t know how to fit it initially.

Gotama
    Free Member

Tempted by a works one myself. Did anyone notice any difference in the front end height or shortened reach? I’m suspecting no is the answer as the difference will be so small.

Also re fitting, surely you just push it in carefully as the alignment of the headset will have to be correct to ensure it is straight?

breninbeener

Alignment does have to be correct, however they seem to be tight as their action relies on the cups not moving at all .

monkeyboyjc

I’ve a work on my Fat bike – could find a good quality cartridge replacement for the FSA that it came with due to a massive lower cup size (if I’d put a hope or chris king in my head angle would have steepened by .5 degrees).

Ended up getting a 1.5 reducer and it’s worked fine. Fitted at home with a home made press and had no issues. Only criticism is that is heavy for a headset due to a lot of extra material on the top cup which could easily be machined off….

STATO
    Free Member

No problems with my works headset, installed easy (just switched to new frame, insattled with a hammer and piece of wood 😆 ). Can understand why a shop might struggle, as a proper tool that sits in the cups would be offset so possibly push in wonkey. Bottom bearing is fine tho, top a bit ropey.

Northwind

I’ve usually had Works but I got a cheap cane creek for the new bike. TBH it’s exactly what I expected- creaks a bit, very temperamental about setup, just basically has far more moving parts than it needs. Not as good- the advantage of not being headtube-length-specific is more or less for Cane Creek, not for us.

I do find the Works tend to go through top bearings- never had another headset like them, for this, even though I used to use other headsets with the same cane creek bearings in. Not sure why it is, my 1.5 ones had a fairly flat top that I suspected was pooling water and soaking it past the seals. But that’s a trivial consideration when everything else is so right.

And yeah, bash it in or clamp it in- normal rotatey cup fitting tools can spin the cup as it goes in.

poah
    Free Member

got a works -1.5 – does what it says on the tin, really pleased with it. selling it though as it doesn’t fit my new frame. Putting one on my sons ripcord

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Angleset options and feedback’ is closed to new replies.