Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • AngleGrinderTrackworld
  • singletrackmind

I have finally got round to fitting 2 stainless steel eyed bolts to my garage door. Mounted through 6 x 2 screwed into the wooden uprights , reinforced with 4 x 2 screwed into the blockwork.

The problem with that is its 45 seconds with a battery angle grinder to cut through the door and remove section of metal the size of a packet of 20 Bensons and the door opens .- leaving the locks attatched to the eyes and the theif doing a little dance of joy

So i need to mount a panel , approx A3 sized ,to make angle grinding an awful lot harder. Obv 10mm plate would do the job . But this is heavy and wont fit in with what I have already built .

Needs to be 3-4mm max depth and something that is a ball ache to cut . My thinking is Nylon 66 which will just melt over the cutting disc and foul it very quickly , or ally , which will also melt.

The neds wont be carrying different discs for different materials , so they will probably go equipped with a 1mm steel cutting disc so its got to be something that is slow/difficult/ annoying to get through . Ti? chainsaw trousers ? Ally? plywood? bar or box could go in as its a channeled up and over style door .

What say you ??

Garage is overlooked and neighbours are in and out during the day

mickmcd
    Free Member

grade 5 titanium plate or for total effectiveness hardox or armox plate or even d2 tool steel they will run out of discs beforethey make progress on any of those

maccruiskeen

or ally , which will also melt.

Its not terribly grinder resistant – it cuts ok but doesn’t spark

chainsaw trousers ?

Not a terrible idea. Plywood would slow progress down as well. Maybe sandwich to two together.

The are ‘quiet’ though. Your original notion of ‘very thick steel’ both slows progress and make a lot of noise while its doing it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jeffl

What about a bolt securing the bottom of the garage to the ground? Ultimately if they want to get in they will but even if they have to cut off three securing bolts. Depends what you want to keep secure in the garage. But assuming it’s bikes so just add some security to them as well, e.g. chain and ground anchor.

revs1972
    Free Member

Is there a history of this type of burglary in your area ?
    You say the garage is overlooked and neighbours in and out, so how much opportunity is there for a thief to spend that amount of time cutting ?
    As said above ,you may be better concentrating on securing the items in the garage.
    FWIW I could cut a man size hole hole in your garage door with my 2mm cordless metal shears in less time (and quieter )than an angle grinder . (Assuming it’s a metal door)

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Kevlar might be as good an option as you’re going to get for what you describe.
    Don’t think nylon would do much.
    Titanium would be a pain to securely attach.

poly
    Free Member

If the aim is to make several minutes of loud noise would it not be easier to fit an alarm?

singletrackmind

History .
    Nope . I have not locked my front door overnight in 10years .
    Xmas time sees a rise in local opportunist theft , but It only takes 1 scroat to see me ride in on a bling carbon road bike and then I become a target.
    Alarm, Could do, but false alarms would not go down well as 1 neighbour works rotating shifts so sleeps some days .

I know dedicated theives will get want they want . But its a crunchy gravel drive , garage is above the house so you have to get past the house to get in and out . PIR lamps on garage and driveway as well.

Keeping the door incognito without extra locks to advertise something needs locking down is fine, but the std gagrage lock is rubbish.

Reckon a few sheets of thin and different materials is the way to go, bit like laminated or bulletproof glass. I would not want grind through a plywood / ally / stainless steel plate sandwich . Be slow and noisy and prbably catch fire.

there are limits to how far you can go , and i do not live in a high crime area, its the opposite really , but doing nothing and coming home from work to an empty garage would destroy me.

dirtyboy

Tyre carcass and metal sandwich

project
    Free Member

What are the walls made of the roof is it an apex or flat door, easily lifted , woodend garage doors easily forced at hinges, metal garage doors easily bent up or down from top or bottom.

cctv, an alarm, security lighting etc a better bet.

kormoran
    Free Member

I use stone cutting discs all the time at work to trim surprise surprise stone, and slate. The stone disc won’t touch metal but I have never tried a metal disc on stone – maybe a slate or stone tile is the answer, assuming a metal disc wont cut it?

bencooper
    Free Member

Nylon or aluminium don’t stand up long to a cutting disc – they do melt and clog a bit, but not enough.

timba
    Free Member

Use washers made from, ummm, worn angle grinder discs before the securing nuts?

kayla1
    Free Member

A couple of sheets of Kevlar fabric laid at 45 degrees to each other so the fibres don’t run in the same direction might possibly be more prone to snagging a cutting disc with maybe some lengths of gear cable run through it to snag/clog the grinder. It might also have the added benefit of causing a life changing/threatening injury 😀

edit- what about running a few metres of live electrical cable through the armour?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

edit- what about running a few metres of live electrical cable through the armour?

That’s my kind of deterrent warning!

footflaps

Angle grinders have plastic handles, so you wouldn’t even notice cutting through it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘AngleGrinderTrackworld’ is closed to new replies.