Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • angle headsets questions?
  • MSP

How reliable are they? Would they require more bearing changes than a standard headset, or are the bearings the same and the adjustments made in the cups?

Do they put any extra stress on frame and forks? or is it just an insignificant amount?

goodgrief
    Free Member

The Works Components headsets have seals on the top cap and crown race but replacement bearings are £8 so it’s a non-issue really. Adjusting is like a normal headset with the top bolt.
    Could be a smidge extra stress on a flat landing but also a smidge less stress under braking and absorbing hits.

daveh
    Free Member

The angle is in the cups so I don’t see why the bearings should be any more or less of a problem than a normal headset.

Northwind

My works ones go through top bearings faster than I’d expect (I use the same cane creek bearings in other bikes and they last longer). Might sound daft but I think the big flat top of the headset allows water to gather on top of the seal!

But it is a minor thing and they are very cheap to replace since it’s a cane creek standard part. Other than that, they just act like any other headsets.

The Cane Creek Angleset has more moving parts in it and you do hear a lot of grumping about creaking and temperamental tensioning. But tbh I think that’s possibly just karma for people who bought the silly overpriced things 😉

JoeG
    Free Member

I share Northwind’s experience with Works Components bearings not lasting as long as those in a regular headset. Replacements are standard size, so cheap and easy to find.

IMO though, very much worth the hassle to tweak the bike’s geometry!

widge34
    Free Member

If you want to slacken the angle, why don’t you try using offset bushings on shock? Will reduce angle by 1-1.5 degrees and would be a cheaper option

boxelder

I’ve a tapered works comps +/-1 that I’ll sell cheaply if looking. It’s for a tallboy, so long headtube. Hope top bearing. £25 + post

MSP

If you want to slacken the angle, why don’t you try using offset bushings on shock? Will reduce angle by 1-1.5 degrees and would be a cheaper option

Because it is for a hardtail.

I’ve a tapered works comps +/-1 that I’ll sell cheaply if looking. It’s for a tallboy, so long headtube. Hope top bearing. £25 + post

Thanks for the offer, but as I am buying a new frame I will buy the headset from the shop and have them fit it. I normally fit my own headsets, but I think there is greater scope to mess up installing an angleset.

scruff
    Free Member

My Works one has had its 3rd set of bearings in 18 months. took my forks out and the bearing literally fell apart, rusty balls fell out of retainers all over the floor, outer race stuck in the cups, they work great but sealing is awful. I’ve put in some hybrid ceramics off ebay, cant be any worse than the normal ones. Works didn’t have any spares in stock and didnt reply to my email asking for availability.

I’ve tried offset bushings as well, they drop the BB nicely and slacken everything off a touch, great for the Alps but didn’t like it for normal riding due to slacker seat angle.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘angle headsets questions?’ is closed to new replies.