Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Angle headset – how slack to go?
  • BoomBip
    Free Member

I’m thinking about a Works Components angle headset for my Trek Ex8. Main reason is that I’m riding increasingly techie stuff so am after some extra stability, plus the tart reason that there’s no new bike on the horizon and I just fancy a change.

HA is currently 69 degrees and I can go either -1 or -1.5 according to Mr Works. Edging towards the -1.5 on the basis that I’d want enough of a difference, whereas -1 could be that bit too subtle?

Any thoughts or experiences?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

When I had my ex I put a 150mm fork in it which should have slackened the HA by about that amount. Felt great!

stevied
    Free Member

Cheaper option, if you’re on a budget, might be some offset bushes for your shock. I made some for my Intense and got about 1.5 degrees slacker. Made a noticeable difference to the handling.

widge34
    Free Member

Yep, off set bushings damn site cheaper and easier to install. I’ve just ordered some burgtec bushings for my five.

BoomBip
    Free Member

Cheers, guys – just had a look round the Burgtec site and looks like I’d only get a 1 degree change at most as the funky proprietary shock only has a lower bushing.

Definitely hearing more love for 1.5 degree change though so the headset looks like the best option.

widge34
    Free Member

With a 69 degree head angle, 1.5 would be a better option. My five has a 67 degree HA so dropping it to 66 is fine for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Go 1.5 I reckon, but maybe you’ll need a longer than stock fork to raise the bb again?

Ive ridden a 68deg HA fuel ex a lot and it was great. But could have been a bit slacker in some situations

iffoverload
    Free Member

i went from 69 to 67 feels fine 🙂

Stu661
    Free Member

I went for a 1.5 works one on my EX9 and it improved the bike no end.

BoomBip
    Free Member

Stu661 – which set did you go for, was it the EC44 upper ZS56 lower?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Angle headset – how slack to go?’ is closed to new replies.