Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Angle grinding disk to clean up hardwood garden bench…….
  • SiB
    Free Member

…is there such a thing or are they all too severe to clean up a weathered wooden garden bench? Have found a few sanding ones but the descriptions all say to sand/clean metal.

Need a disk that’s tougher than a buffing one but not one that could dig in to wood…………..does such a disk exist??

Thanks in advance

pictonroad

Having recently spent a week under an old 4×4 with various sanding disks, I would venture a no on that one. It’s an all or nothing tool.

bruneep

power washer?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thecaptain
    Free Member

Paint stripper disc? I have something that’s a tangle of rubbery bits, imagine it might work ok on wood though I only remember using it for paint on metal.

Come to think of it, this was a drill attachment not angle grinder, the latter might be a bit more violent.

SiB
    Free Member

Pictonroad……..I’m thinking the same! I’m assuming electric/manual sander best, just hoping there was a disk for ‘light dusting duties’!

Bruneep…….borrowed friends industrial jetwash to do tarmaced drive, I think it would have snapped the hardwood bench! Maybe give it a go standing 10meters away from it and jet washing!

SiB
    Free Member

stumpy…..thanks, that should do the job, could take a while though as it s a big bench!

tazzymtb

you want a fibre wheel brush for grinders like the stuff metabo do for etched wood and similar

maccruiskeen

angle grinders are generally too fast for work on wood – they tend to take too much material off and dig in – they’re useful for rounding over edges and shaping etc but they’ll groove and mark flat surfices, because they spin so much faster than wood working tools the disks get hot too and they can also burn the surface of the wood. Depending on the kind of wood things like flap-disks can just clog up very quickly too as any resins in the wood heat up and smear into the disk.

A regular sander or a wire brush and some elbow grease would be better, depending on what you’re trying to achieve.

stevextc
    Free Member

A decent belt sander will do the job really quickly if you can take the bench apart … and you can then re-finish the bench before reassembling so you get the pain/preservative/varnish nice and even.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I spent hours sanding down an old garden bench with an orbital sander.

But then one day I happened to point my jet washer at the garden table (which was in a similar state), and it came up cleaner than the bench did.

Just sayin’

mattyfez

Is it just dirty or does it need to be refinished?

benp1

Power washers can rip the fibres on wooden furniture so make it feel much hairier or splinterier (sp?)

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Need a disk that’s tougher than a buffing one but not one that could dig in to wood…………..does such a disk exist??

Ohhh no you dont, you need a wire brush, a pint of strong tea and some elbow grease…………..pffffft 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

i did my teak garden bench with a pressure washer at a suitable distance to take off the old paint and general green grime.

came up a treat before being reoiled.

SiB
    Free Member

tazzymtb…….those metabo look nice and have a very nice price too, thanks for advice but I’ll swerve those!

will try a flap wheel and see how I get on before getting back the industrial jet wash and standing at a good distance from bench.

yes, my belt sander would be ideal if I could take it apart but its a curved ornate bench and the fact its not mine (things you do for your mothers!)will stop me dismantling it.

Its just a bit green and most of the original varnish has flaked off, needs a good clean down and recoating a few times.

Thanks for all your pointers, much appreciated

footflaps

I use an Orbital sander to spruce up ours before re-oiling….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SihLFd]Cleaning garden bench[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

maccruiskeen

Don’t be tempted by the angle grinder wire brushes/ cup brushes – you’ll be picking curly steel pubes out of your clothes, teeth, ears and socks for an eternity

trail_rat
    Free Member

Don’t be tempted by the angle grinder wire brushes/ cup brushes –

Only if you buy the ones not rated for the speed of your grinder.

I went through a good number of those things when i was doing the landies chassis and they worked fine.

but i wouldnt touch anything made of wood with them they will rip it apart.

id probably head in this direction if your using the grinder

also why do you need to get an industrial pressure washer – just use a domestic and youll have less chance of riping it to bits.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You want some Wessex Teak Cleaner – brilliant stuff.

stevextc
    Free Member

yes, my belt sander would be ideal if I could take it apart but its a curved ornate bench and the fact its not mine (things you do for your mothers!)will stop me dismantling it.

YEP…. That’s the last one I dismantled a few years ago now … Mum is a 4-6 hour drive away and I usually have a set of powertools in the boot when I visit. I’m pretty certain next time I visit it will be time to strip the bench and repaint again … that Cuprinol 5 yr stuff has proven really good in my won home…. so I’ll probably repaint with that…

finishthat
    Free Member

Variable speed angle grinders are available – but still a bit unweildy .

There are also “sanding Brushes”

like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parkside-Sanding-Brush-Electric-Sander-310w-/162442374611?hash=item25d251edd3:g:ogoAAOSwWxNY01qY

Bosch do one – never tried one but the Parkside one is cheap.

onewheelgood

I use a Karcher domestic pressure washer. I’ve got 5 chairs, a table and a bench to do, and it usually takes most of a day. Still quicker and easier than a sander, and can reach bits that the sander can’t.

thecaptain
    Free Member

trail_rat’s pic is what I meant. But I haven’t tried one on an angle grinder.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Angle grinding disk to clean up hardwood garden bench…….’ is closed to new replies.