Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Andy Schleck about to retire?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Plenty of speculation. Somehow a bit sad really. Only 29. Another crap season of injuries, becoming a dad too, I guess he’s just had enough.

A reminder of the rider he was… Liege win in 2009…

nemesis
    Free Member

I guess it’s true that the drugs don’t work…

or more to the point, they do but when you can’t use them freely it’s quite a bit harder to be good.

Won’t miss him. Though he’s pretty much been missing for a few years now anyway (see above).

aracer
    Free Member

Strange – presumably he was on the wrong sort of drugs given the latest research:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/29510575

xc-steve
    Free Member

If only he’d used a narrow wide

nemesis
    Free Member

that muscles can retain the advantages given by anabolic steroids decades after the point at which they were taken.

Useful for sprinters, less so for cyclists…

That’s not to say that there isn’t an effect, there could well be for EPO, growth hormone, etc but I’m not aware of such a direct correlation to when EPO wasn’t detectable (and pre biopassport) when you could just make blood significantly more capable of transporting oxygen. Stopping EPO leads to a return to more normal levels as has been documented by several ex-dopers when they’ve documented their experiences of being on and off EPO within a season.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If only he’d not come up against a (bigger) cheating Spaniard.

nemesis
    Free Member

Who (IMO) has now worked out how to do it enough to get his advantage back… It’s clear that EPO is still being used and not being detected every time so I’m very sceptical that an unrepentant doper is not going to do so again.

lunge

No loss to the sport, he’s been very average for a few years. Rightly or wrongly, I see his “win” of the TdF on 2010 as the last really dirty win. His ride in the 2011 race where he attacked from long range and won at the top of the Galibier was far to reminiscent of Landis in 2006 for my liking.

Spin
    Free Member

I shan’t miss him either. Tainted and a moaner to boot. Cheerio.

aa
    Free Member

What lunge said.
    For me, it was like watching Harry Enfields jockey sketch.

Lifer
    Free Member

Andy Schleck about to retire?

Which race?

Ba dum tsch

So long Abandy Schleck, maybe Trek can sort themselves out a bit now. Mollema’s a good signing.

rusty90
    Free Member

I missed this. Andy finished the whole press conference instead of abandoning 10 minutes after it started?

Lifer
    Free Member

He did have moments this season where I allowed myself to believe, but they were strangely timed and didn’t last long.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Andy finished the whole press conference instead of abandoning 10 minutes after it started?

He didn’t have to go downhill.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stopping EPO leads to a return to more normal levels as has been documented by several ex-dopers when they’ve documented their experiences of being on and off EPO within a season.

Although if someone’s been on EPO for five years (say) haven’t they arguably had the opportunity to train to a higher overall level of fitness than someone of the same age who’s been clean?

nemesis
    Free Member

Undoubtedly but I reckon that a two year ban would be plenty long enough for that to return to normal assuming of course that they don’t continue to cheat while banned.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Coooweee, loving the haterz.. Have a hug (~)

rusty90
    Free Member

I get all the hugs I need from my brother Frank 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Undoubtedly but I reckon that a two year ban would be plenty long enough for that to return to normal assuming of course that they don’t continue to cheat while banned.

course they cheated while banned, its like a free pass 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyone having beef for dinner?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It’s clear that EPO is still being used and not being detected

Really? How so?

I think if you’re going to make a statement like that you need to substantiate it.

atlaz
    Free Member

Tainted how?

As an aside, it’s a bit odd how a rider like Andy Schleck seems to attract such ire. He’s emotionally quite fragile but at his best, one of the best riders in the world.

nemesis
    Free Member

Astana positives. I don’t believe that they’re the only two people cheating. Recent history shows that’s unlikely. It also suggests that it’s unlikely that team leaders don’t cheat when their teammates do.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ll be sorry to see him go. Always came across as a nice guy, and a great climber. I’ve fond memories of getting happily drunk in Liege watching Liege Bastogne Liege with the Frank and Andy Fan Club (including the third Schleck brother). They almost persuaded me to join.

As for the lame drugs comments on every single road race post……..yawn, getting pretty tedious now. Away and watch football if you want to see constant never ending cheating.

Haze

It’s all about the reticulocyte balance these days?

nemesis
    Free Member

I love road racing. I hate cheats. Why on earth would I keep quiet about it? I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how cycling got into it’s mess.

As to football, cmon, be serious �

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Astana positives. I don’t believe that they’re the only two people cheating. Recent history shows that’s unlikely. It also suggests that it’s unlikely that team leaders don’t cheat when their teammates do.

Olympic champion. DS of a major team. Doper.

Didn’t he do well?

Bjarne Riis is still involved. Hell, Virenque is still the poster boy for Festina.

If the peloton really wants to be taken seriously, it needs to rid itself of the cancer within.

kennyp
    Free Member

This was supposed to be a thread about Andy Schleck possibly retiring. So why, like virtually every other road racing thread, does it get hijacked into a debate about drugs? That debate should be for somewhere else.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So why, like virtually every other road racing thread, does it get hijacked into a debate about drugs?

He’s ridden with/for dopers. His brother is/was a doper. Valid discussion, I’d say.

rt60
    Free Member

He will always be linked to Fuentes and very large payments for “training plans”.

Not sorry to see him go.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tainted how?

One word answer… Riis.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I love road racing. I hate cheats. Why on earth would I keep quiet about it? I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how cycling got into it’s mess.

+lots

shedfull
    Free Member

He’s called a press conference and everything else is speculation. He could be announcing he’s going to confess to doping, that he’s gay, appearing in the next season of Strictly, got cancer….anything, really.

My money’s on him announcing a sex change as it’s the only way he can win on the Champs Elysees next year.

Northwind

CaptainFlashheart – Member

His brother is/was a doper.

My brother’s a ginger. You can’t choose your family!

aracer
    Free Member

I bet you’re ginger underneath

hora
    Free Member

Kennyp you know the subject of this topic right? If you love cycling get rid of those who only care about cheating.

ratherbeintobago

He will always be linked to Fuentes and very large payments for “training plans”.

TBF that was Fränk.

atlaz
    Free Member

Coming from the former #1 Lance Armstrong fan in the universe. You still supported Lance long after rational observers accepted he was a cheat.

One word answer… Riis.

It’s funny that Andy Schleck riding for Riis means he’s a doper but (almost) nobody says the same about Cancellara or Voigt. The irony is, saying “everyone is a doper” is the tactic used by Lance and his ilk to excuse their behaviour. It’s a lazy attitude, especially when it seems reasonable to think professional cycling is the cleanest it’s been for some time (now if only they could get rid of Vino and his gang).

Back on topic, even in Luxembourg there’s a resigned shrug these days when it comes to Andy. The feeling here is that he lost the love for the sport after his broken sacrum, Frank’s ban and all the drama with Leopard and then Radioshack so it may be best for him to either step down to continental status with the new Danish/Luxembourg team or just retire. Seems the latter is most likely. I was invited to the press conference this morning but I’ve got to work 🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I love road racing. I hate cheats. Why on earth would I keep quiet about it?

Likewise, but I think if you’re really going to contribute to the discussion you need to back up what you say, rather than shouting “He’s a cheat!”

prawny

I was invited to the press conference this morning

In my head, you have nothing to do with cycling at all, just happen to be in luxembourg and they’ve had to pay for a minimum of minimum of 25 guests at the post conference buffet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Andy Schleck about to retire?’ is closed to new replies.