Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Andy in big, bouncy bike scandal! (Turner content)
  • andeh

So, after looking for a bike for the Mega for quite some time (4 months?), and after missing out on innumerable bikes to being a big silly-nanny, and despite being hampered by a tight budget, and after posting a “HELP!” thread on here and Souther Downhill, I finally found a bike! Whooppeee!

She’s a late-ish Turner Highline, in anno black, with a downhilly build.

“Woah!” I hear you cry, “that looks like a pretty fat bike to be riding the Mega on”…..well, yes, it is quite hefty. I have no idea of weight at the moment….probably a bit over that awful 40lb mark though. This said, she pedals amazingly well. After collecting it on Wednesday, I rode the 2miles home from the station and was a bit surprised by how quick it rolls. Much more nimble than I was expecting.

Oh, and her name is Anthea, I thought Tina was a little obvious and nowhere near as funny.

So, yeah, I’m pretty proud of it really. I’ve never had a big bike before, in fact, I’ve only ever owned one full-sus, and that was a wee Tazer. I’ll be heading over to Wharncliffe at the first opportunity to test the thing.

Build is pretty obvious, any thoughts? Recommendations? Critique? Only things I would like to change currently are:

-Wider bars!!
    -Softer springs (it has a 500lbx2.80 spring, I reckon I need a 400lb and the Totem has a firm, where I think I need medium….message me if you fancy a swap)
    -Some pedals, those are from my BFe
    -Maybe a remote for the Gravity Dropper…are they retrofit-able?
    -The bike currently has a 8.75″ i2i shock, giving it 8 inch of travel but leaving the bb a little high. I quite fancy a 8.5″ shock to lower the thing and get rid of that extra bit of travel that I doubt I’ll ever need.

Huge, giant mega-thanks to Hertfordshire Ed. Massively nice guy and a pleasure to deal with. He is a gentleman and a scholar and owns an awesome BFe (just like I do. We’re bike bro’s now, a bond that can never be broken!)

Andy

rexated
    Free Member

That, sir, is a mighty fine Turner.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FFS.

Valves? Logos?

🙂 Looks ace! 🙂

big_scot_nanny

That looks **** ing nails. Awesome.

andylux
    Free Member

Sweet Rig! Hope it doesn’t land on you when you come off…. Yeouch.

tomhoward

Edge of the lawn needs a trim…

Sweet ride though!

andeh

Cheers guys, too kind 😀

Well I went out for my first ride on it today. XC out to some downhill tracks and back again. Everything seemed pretty nice!

Here’s a stream of consciousness regarding my experience:

-This bike is heavy
    -Yet it pedals quite well, I rode up everything I would on my BFe
    -Full sussers feel like cheating
    -The trails seemed to be a lot smoother today, must be the weather
    -The bars are too narrow, I find myself riding like I’m doing an impression of a posh man riding a horse.
    -I’m unfit, I need to ride this much more before I can even dream about alpine climbs
    -Dropper posts are fun
    -My shed is too small

andeh

Edge of the lawn needs a trim…

Standard 8) Do you like my collection of rocks? One looks like a frozen lump of meat.

mildred

Looks cock-on that!

High bottom brackets are more noticeable on slower trails so the high bb on this shouldnt be too bad at the mega. Having said that I “short-shocked” a Nicolai helius ST and it dropped the BB and slackened the head angle a touch (222x70mm down to 215x63mm), which I preferred. If you’ve got a mate with a shorter shock you could play about with that’d be worthwhile, just to see what you like.

Looks good for the Mega though.

MrOvershoot

That looks like a very nice bike you have there 🙂

See what you mean about the narrow bars!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Andy in big, bouncy bike scandal! (Turner content)’ is closed to new replies.