Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Android/Synology Music Player
  • Haze

Any recommendations on music players for an Android?

Looking for something that I can sync on my Nexus 7 and One X+ to take out and about but will play directly off my Synology NAS when I’m around the house without needing to sync playlists etc.

Along the lines of DS Audio for anyone who’s familiar with Synology.

Tried WinAmp, Poweramp and Double Twist so far, all decent but won’t (that I can see) stream directly off a network location.

Tablet is rooted with PA3 if that helps, but I quite like HTC Sense so would prefer not to have to root my phone.

Anything else around worth a look?

Cougar

Try searching for a “DLNA client” for streaming duties.

For playback of local files, PowerAmp is hard to beat.

Haze

Cheers Cougar, only downloaded Poweramp last night so maybe need to dig a bit deeper.

From what I remember there wasn’t an option to map networks drives in the folders list. Or am I missing something?

NAS has DLNA streaming, does that need to be both client and server?

Cougar

Essentially, yeah. The NAS is, if you like, the ‘server’ and you need a ‘client’ at the phone end. Hang on, I’ll check what I used; I installed one fairly arbitrarily the other night when I was in bed and wanted to listen to music. Dunno as it’s the best but it definitely worked.

Cougar

“MediaHouse,” seemingly.

I also have “UPnPlay” installed, but I seem to remember that being a really clunky interface.

Haze

Thanks again.

Basically I have two different players performing very similar tasks but neither can do both, would much prefer an all-in-one solution.

I’m sure there’s plenty out there but would rather go off recommendations than installing/uninstalling loads of crap before I find something decent.

I’ll have a forage around when I get back home.

Haze

Just found this while looking for MediaHouse.

Has to worth a try…

w1zard
    Free Member

I know I can use both Wondershare Player and Dice Player to stream movies from my Synology NAS to my Android phone – maybe they’ll do music too?

I’m also sure I’ve seen an app that lets you mount a NAS share as a local mount point, so any old player can stream from it. No idea where I saw it or what it’s called though – sorry!

clubber
    Free Member

If I understand what you’re after then google music works well. Upload all your music to it (and it’ll then automatically upload anything new) and you then have it anywhere you have an internet connection be it your phone, a desktop, etc.

http://play.google.com/about/Music

Haze

Thanks Clubber, but wanted to avoid uploads.

That’s a lot of music to store somewhere remote, I haven’t warmed to the idea yet!

clubber
    Free Member

You only have to do once though and it’s all automatic.

CountZero

I’m with Haze, uploading, (in my case), 150+Gb of music into a cloud-based storage system seems like madness, when it’s all stored locally on my computer. Apart from the cost of storing it, it’s the whole accessibility issue; it’s utterly useless when you’re somewhere with zero network connection, not even a marginal phone signal, and certainly no wifi, which was the case last October for a week.
    I’m waiting for Kingston to increase the capacity of their wifi-enabled portable self-powered drives to 250Gb, then I can put all my music on one, and stream it to my phone or pad, a local ‘cloud’, if you like. Much more practical.
    128Gb version currently about $130, so not too pricey, either.
    http://www.kingston.com/en/usb/wireless/#wid

clubber
    Free Member

You can store it locally too if you want…

dobo
    Free Member

have a look at subsonic, your nas might support it, might do what you want
    the android app works well but i use madsonic for the web as it fixes a few anoying bugs

Haze

I’d definitely want a backup stored locally.

Maybe one day, just not ready to make that leap quite yet. Though I am a little intrigued…

clubber
    Free Member

Well you don’t delete your local copy so in a sense, you can consider that by uploading all your music to google you’re actually creating a backup of it (because you can download it back to your computer if you need to, eg just like a backup!).

So, my setup:

All my music is on a network disk (eg a NAS) but it’s also held at google. Any new music I add to my disk get automatically uploaded to google.

I can then access my music anywhere that I’ve got the internet. I can also selectively download music to my phone for example so that I can listen to that music even if I don’t have an internet connection.

It’s free and it works well. I’m sure that it’s not the right solution for some but I think it’d work well for many, especially given how internet coverage seems to be rapidly improving. I guess that download limits could be an issue for some though (I’m unlimited and I’ve found that listening doesn’t use up as much data as I’d have expected anyway).

Haze

May check it out as it’s free, you are making a good job of selling it 😉

spectabilis
    Free Member

BubbleUPNP is the best DLNA controller you will find for Android. It doesn’t have a pretty UI but works flawlessly. The free version does limit the amount of tracks in a playlist though.

I use a WD live NAS and a WD TV live as the renderer for my HiFi my phone acts as a controller (or renderer if required) whilst on my home network.
    The WD NAS also makes files available from a mobile network… 4TB of FLAC available anywhere 😉

Cougar

BubbleUPNP is the best DLNA controller you will find for Android. It doesn’t have a pretty UI but works flawlessly. The free version does limit the amount of tracks in a playlist though.

Struggling to see how it’s “the best” if it’s limited with a crap UI.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Struggling to see how it’s “the best” if it’s limited with a crap UI.

I said the UI was not pretty didn’t I? And also stated that it works flawlessly. Where did you get “crap” from? Or does everything have to have nice little pictures on for you to use it? 🙄

It’s only limited as in the amount of tracks you can run in a playlist and only. in the free version. The couple of quid for the paid version is worth it as this App outperforms any of the others available.

dobo
    Free Member

Upnplay is also worth a look.

for a dlna server is use serviio, but were going off topic

Haze

Had Bubble working well at home last night and through dynamic DNS at the office today.

Struggling with playlists though, imported them over and downloaded them to my phone but they disappeared once I was in the car driving to work.

Probably need to experiment with the settings a bit more, but any tips in the meantime?

Uploading my library to Google now, I’ll have a play around with it and see which one I take to. If nothing else it’ll serve as a back up.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Android/Synology Music Player’ is closed to new replies.