Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Android/Apple Pay…
  • nickc

are you using it? problems? worst thing that’s ever happened, best thing thing since sliced bread?

horror stories?

allthepies
    Free Member
    nickc

ah apologies I didn’t search… 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

Don’t apologise, that was a Jiayu specific thread.

njee20
    Free Member

Ive had Apple Pay for ages (and so I’ll post here as its more relevant than the other thread!), I never use it! Contactless, yes, all the time. Very rarely use/carry cash. But Apple Pay is just a bit of a faff, particularly if you have multiple cards registered (think I’ve got 5!). Haven’t used it in months. Can’t see Android Pay being any better really.

bruneep

none of my bank cards are compatible.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can’t really see past contact less cards for me. Much easier to hold, manage and use.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Can’t really see past contact less cards for me. Much easier to hold, manage and use.

Whereas for me, my phone is normally more easily accessible to me than fishing about in my wallet for a card, so I can see me using it all the time instead of my contactless cards.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I also have a habit of leaving my wallet at home but never seem to forget my phone, so for that it’s brilliant 😀

beej

Just signed up on Android this morning. I’ll experiment later.

jimdubleyou

I think it will take a while before I don’t feel “a bit weird” about holding my phone to a payment machine.

ads678

Can you use android pay at all contactless points or is it specific for phones, apple/android specific or can both android and apple phones be used at the same places??

miketually
    Free Member

Whereas for me, my phone is normally more easily accessible to me than fishing about in my wallet for a card, so I can see me using it all the time instead of my contactless cards.[/quote]

My phone is always in my pocket, while my wallet tends to live in my bag.

Can you use android pay at all contactless points or is it specific for phones, apple/android specific or can both android and apple phones be used at the same places??

Any contactless point.

ads678

cool, might give it a go then.

Stoner
    Free Member

Since I have a rooted phone and bank with Barclays, I feel like the eunuch at an orgy. 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Paying with your apple watch is kind of silly – it’s on your wrist nice and handy, but judging by my colleagues’ experiences you have to contort yourself over the counter to get it to work.

jonnym92

Use Apple pay all the time, and know people that use their watches for it too. Surely the contortion over the counter issue is poor placement of the payment terminal..

simon_g

Use Apple Pay a few times a week, and a couple of times it’s been really useful as I’ve left my wallet at home or back in the office when I pop out for lunch.

When the phone is off you tap the home button twice, it reads your fingerprint then is all preauthenticated and ready to just hold the phone up the reader as you would with any other contactless card. It’s quicker than digging into my wallet for the right card.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I use Apple pay as much as I possibly can. It works well once you’ve worked out how to switch cards. I only have 2 registered.

I also have a habit of leaving my wallet at home but never seem to forget my phone, so for that it’s brilliant

Yep, done that. I needed fuel for the motorbike and I’d forgotten my wallet. Very handy.

IMO it’s the future. In 10 years we’ll have forgotten about the ifs and buts and all be using it all the time.

stevious

I use Apple pay fairly often as I always have my phone on me and it’s easier to fish out than my wallet.

Also, it feels dead futuristic.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I have Apple Pay, and use it occasionally. My default reaction is to get out my contactless card tho.

I imagine if I had more than one card registered it might be a bit of a faff.

I think it’s strength is that I sometimes forgot my wallet, and sometimes forget my phone. This way I am covered in all eventualities….well, unless I leave both on the top of the car like I did last year.

zilog6128

When the phone is off you tap the home button twice, it reads your fingerprint then is all preauthenticated and ready to just hold the phone up the reader as you would with any other contactless card. It’s quicker than digging into my wallet for the right card.

Some people don’t seem to realise you can do this, and insist on unlocking the phone, going into the wallet app, etc! This way though it’s so much quicker than getting a card out your wallet. Use it loads.

aracer
    Free Member

+1 – phone goes almost everywhere with me, I rarely carry money, so I’ll be trying it. I guess that means I might be resurrecting my HSBC account (well that or paying for everything on the joint account 😈 ) as my main account is with Barclays, and I’m not holding my breath waiting for them to make something which works.

miketually
    Free Member

my main account is with Barclays, and I’m not holding my breath waiting for them to make something which works

I keep meaning to move from Barclays anyway, but inertia (and being unable to move an overdraft) keeps stopping me. This is one more push.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Does Barclays not work with Android pay then?

Just assumed it would due to them adopting Apple Pay.

aracer
    Free Member

Well in theory their offering might be better when it comes out – I think it’s actually already available if you have a barclaycard. I had been seriously thinking about getting one for that reason, having made it to my mid 40s without ever owning a credit card…

I expect in my case inertia will reign and I’ll just setup my HSBC account on Android Pay – though in effect that might result in me dropping Barclays in the longer term…

aracer
    Free Member

They were one of the last to work with Apple pay AFAIK – I think it’s all down to them having their own app they want customers to use

andytherocketeer

Isn’t it because Barclays want their own app?
    And Apple doesn’t allow 3rd party apps access to its security chip.

Might actually contemplating making use of the NFC on my phone.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I use Apple play on my watch. It’s really good and unless you have t-Rex arms the there is no contortionist positions needed. It saves carrying loose change when on the bike and just in general. I don’t think paying by watch is that popular though as I still get comments from cashiers that they have never seen anyone pay by watch before. The big supermarkets need to catch on to contactless now as most don’t seem to have it. Must be a huge outlay buying all new card machines though in companies with that many.

stumpy01

I’ve got NFC on my phone, but only Android 4.3, so guess I’ll have to stay in the dark ages with contactless cards….oh, the shame.

Google Pay hasn’t really been widely advertised as now being available.

I’m surprised HSBC hasn’t been onto me about it because they badgered me with spam mail for weeks, to tell me how I could now use Apple Pay, even though I don’t use an Apple device….

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Signed up for it this morning but for some reason can’t receive the verification text.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Since I have a rooted phone and bank with Barclays, I feel like the eunuch at an orgy.

My phone doesn’t even have NFC 🙁

Wonder if it would work with an NFC equipped watch or if they’d just view that as too big a security hole.

Drac

Use Apple pay over cash where it’s available, not every contactless point has them. It’s far easier than cash, securer than contactless or pin card and easy. My wallet is my phone cover but to get the card out is a pain. If I try to use the card in the wallet it gets confused to which one or the phone kicks in.

mark90
    Free Member

Set it up this morning. Android pay and Lloyds account. Now I just need to check which tea and cakes stops have contactless so I don’t need to take my wallet 🙂

footflaps

Don’t really see the advantage over contactless as if I have my phone, I’ll have my wallet with me.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I use Apple Pay whenever I can (especially yesterday when I forgot my wallet!), although I do only have one card registered which makes it slicker I suppose.

Some things to bear in mind that some people don’t seem to realise (apologies if already mentioned)

– double click on the home button – even when locked – means it is so so easy. Much quicker than getting my wallet out
    – 3% cash back if you’re with Santander, just for using it

Don’t really see the advantage over contactless

– Because it is authenticated by fingerprint, there’s not the same limit as contactless. Many shops don’t even know this
    – Get notifications of payments made – even on lock screen – which is a neat little confirmation

On the downside, I’ve noticed that at Aldi my phone says “Done” but it’s not cleared at the Aldi terminal. I’ve had to do it again and check I’ve not been charged twice. That didn’t instil confidence.

Love it. Surprisingly useful.

Drac

double click on the home button – even when locked – means it is so so easy. Much quicker than getting my wallet out

I’ve never done that I just present my phone and hold over my thumb it activates as soon as its near the machine.

mark90
    Free Member

Don’t really see the advantage over contactless as if I have my phone, I’ll have my wallet with me.

In that case there may not be much/any advantage for you. I almost always have my phone on me, but frequently don’t have my wallet, often have to borrow the missus card if we’re out and I want to buy sommat. Or I have an emergency note inside the phone case, and in my biking bag (just enough for tea and cake). So for me Android pay is an advantage. Different things work for different folks.

hanchurch
    Free Member

I love Apple Pay, no issues whatsoever .

beej

Test successful, used Android Pay to buy a sriracha chicken baguette from Upper Crust at Paddington station today.

I can’t comment as to whether it works with other types of poorly filled baguettes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Android/Apple Pay…’ is closed to new replies.