• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IA.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Android Wifi problem – Some webpages never want to load
  • kayak23

Has anyone come across this sort of issue with their ‘smartphones’ before?

I have an HTC Desire HD. Just moved into a new house and the Netgear router there, although it has an excellent signal to my phone will not seem to allow me to connect to certain sites sometimes, most notably Hotmail and Facebook. Other sites load quickly and normally(although admittedly, some pause 3/4 of the way through and struggle with the last bit going by the green loading bar at the top)

Sometimes it does work, usually when I have looked at several other pages from other sites first and then come back to Hotmail etc, but only sometimes. STW seems to work fine by the way.

Other times it simply will not load the page at all and comes up with the usual error message ‘webpage not available’, as if not connected, but then will instantly work on pretty much any other site.

I’ve tried deleting all data, cache and all that stuff and once or twice that seems to have worked but then next time I want to access its back to the same problems.

I’ve power-cycled the router etc(turned it off and on again 🙂 ), re-started the phone several times, tried the stock browser aswell as Dolphin, nothing….

3g works spot on, wifi at work, works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try a different router would be my first suggestion.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have the same problem.And it happens with different routers too so I`d love to hear if anyone has a fix.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

BTW,The GF has an iphone 4 and doesn`t experience the same problem.

kayak23

Strangely it was happening to a degree at my last house, but then sort of just stopped happening, without me noticing what might have been different…

Smartphone in shonky operation shocker!

My Desire HD works fine on wi-fi, but I did have a period when I could only get a weak signal even sat next to the router. I did a factory reset for other reasons and all seems fine now.

clubber
    Free Member

Try Opera – if that works then it’s a software problem with the browser. I use Opera as my main browser, just using Dolphin if I need the full flash and desktop version of a site.

IA

Sounds like the issue is your router, or ISP?

Might be a dns issue, as that would only happen with your ISP regardless of router – try changing your phone to use google’s DNS?

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Try changing it on the phone, or failing that your router.

kayak23

Hmmmm, thanks. I knew it would start getting techy quite quickly. I’ll read up on that later cheers.

Cougar

Reboot the rooter.

woody2000

I was having a few WiFi issues with various android devices – dropped connections & not getting connected mainly. I changed the DHCP lease time on the router to be something other than “forever” (2 weeks I think), and I’ve not had a problem since. Might be worth trying?

IA

I changed the DHCP lease time on the router to be something other than “forever” (2 weeks I think), and I’ve not had a problem since. Might be worth trying?

Ah yes, this is a good point. There’s an issue with android and DHCP leases:

http://www.net.princeton.edu/android/android-stops-renewing-lease-keeps-using-IP-address-11236.html

Though the issue is that with too short a lease, it make continue using the IP. 2 weeks should be ok though, I don’t know if there’s a similar problem with long leases….

kayak23

I changed the DHCP lease time on the router to be something other than “forever” (2 weeks I think), and I’ve not had a problem since. Might be worth trying?

Ah yes, this is a good point. There’s an issue with android and DHCP leases:

http://www.net.princeton.edu/android/android-stops-renewing-lease-keeps-using-IP-address-11236.html

Though the issue is that with too short a lease, it make continue using the IP. 2 weeks should be ok though, I don’t know if there’s a similar problem with long leases….

Imagine I’m a 10 year old child….Can you explain what the heck you mean by that please? 🙂

kayak23

Reading through that, it would appear that the symptoms would be that I can’t connect to the internet at all, and yet my signal shows as excellent, and its usually only two sites (Hotmail and Facebook) which just freeze or do not respond at all…others continue to work fine.

IA

I’ve had the symptoms you describe on some ISP with my mac, and changing the DNS to google has sorted it…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Android Wifi problem – Some webpages never want to load’ is closed to new replies.