Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Android update is draining my battery
  • Harry_the_Spider

A recent Android update is rapidly draining my phone battery (I think). It dropped by 35% over the last 7 hours.

Looking at the Battery Manager it seems that Android is using it.

Any ideas?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which update?
    Which Phone?

Nexus 6p latest version of 7, no strange drain

(Android OS 6% use and Android System 6% – highest users since it was last charged)

Harry_the_Spider

Motorola Moto E.

No idea what update.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The version will be in the settings>updates page

mikewsmith
    Free Member

from google

Issue: Battery draining quickly
    A few Moto E owners have had problems with rapid battery drain, particularly after updating Android.
    Potential solutions:
    Go to Settings > Battery and turn Battery saver on.
    Take a look at what is guzzling all your juice in the chart at Settings > Battery. If there’s an obvious culprit, then consider uninstalling it.
    The shortcut to find your problem app is to factory reset. Now selectively reinstall each app, testing after each new one to see where the problem is.
    Check out our tips for saving smartphone battery life.
    It could be the calibration. Try letting the Moto E run out of battery completely, and then plug it in and leave it charging until it hits 100 percent. Unplug it, but don’t use it. After half an hour plug it back into the charger again. When it’s fully charged unplug it, and the battery should be recalibrated.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/moto-e-problems/#ixzz4LzzoFsIo
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

jruk
    Free Member

Admittedly pneumatic a different phone (Samsung s7) but recently Chrome was causing media server to run all the time and draining the battery. Switched to Firefox and it was OK. Might be something similar?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Have you rebooted it?

mogrim

Similar here, not a Moto E though – in my case “Google Services” is the guilty party. I’ve just tried setting the location accuracy to low (use Wifi/BT/mobile network, no GPS) to see if that fixes it.

wombat

Similar issue here wit an Xperia Z1 Compact, currently experimenting with various app settimgs.
    Has gone from 2 days battery life to about 5 hours
    Almost as poor battery life as my work IPhone 😉

Mackem

Same problem with my HTC

mooty
    Free Member

Exactly the same thing happened to me with my Xperia Z5 after updating to Android 6.01.
    Tried various things such as deleting app cache but the only thing that fixed it was to do a factory reset.
    It wasn’t too painful as everything got restored back automatically from my Google account afterwards.
    The only thing that didn’t come back were my historical text messages so back them up manually if you want to save them.

Harry_the_Spider

As if by magic it has sorted itself out. Weird.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like the battery calibration thing in my first reply.

garage-dweller

Google Play Services has been on a battery rob today. Seems ok now after a reboot.

deadkenny
    Free Member

In the past when I had Android it was Google app updates that were killing the battery. Google Now used to hammer it like crazy.

Currently enjoying my 50+ hours life on my Lumia 😉 . Amazes me this phone (well, shouldn’t really, the hardware is basically Nokia). Top up overnight and go a whole day and it’s only down to 80% by midnight and predicting nearly 2 days battery remaining, and I’m even able to have social apps in the background like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. On Android I had to uninstall or block them from running in the background.

molgrips
    Free Member

Currently enjoying my 50+ hours life on my Lumia

Don’t get too carried away. I’ve got two Android phones with similar things running (including social media). One gets about a week, one gets about 2 days generally.

But one of the biggest factors is how much I move it around.

deadkenny
    Free Member

molgrips – Member 
    Don’t get too carried away. I’ve got two Android phones with similar things running (including social media). One gets about a week, one gets about 2 days generally.

Yeah, but Android phones usually achieve that these days by being the size of a brick to fit a decent size battery that will cope with the inefficient OS. A very thin brick admittedly, but definitely not pocket friendly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually no. The one that lasts a week is a Moto G which is pretty small. The much larger Samsung S6 only gets 2 days if I’m careful.

Ok so the Moto G won’t last a week if I hammer it, but with only casual use it’s a week. If I leave it untouched in the house (on wifi) it’ll still be on after ten days.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Having to reinstall all the apps is a pita and risks losing all the locally stored data.

As above battery life depends on phone spec, the cheapy £85 Android Lolipop Arkos (?) we bought for the FIL won’t do more than 4 hours usage but screen is pretty good and news apps work fine. He just uses it plugged in sat in his chair with a custom long simple extension lead. Also myth you can just buy an sd card is a bit exaggerated as you can put photos/video on the sd card but not apps. This is dependent on Android version.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Following the recent update – Sony Xperia – I got a message; the battery performance had been altered (downwards) to improve longevity i.e. less output but longer lifespan. This could be reset somehow can’t remember details. certainly my battery has less in the tank each night – down to 20% or less.

wors

My S5 is the same, threw it in by bag this morning on 100% rode to work, 25 minutes later pulled it out of my bag and it’s on 80%! I hate this phone.

Harry_the_Spider

Mine is playing silly buggers again. Dropped half its charge over night but is now hardly using anything.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Android update is draining my battery’ is closed to new replies.