Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Android Tracking apps.
  • wwaswas

for my wife to know where I am when I’m out and about on the bike.

After a mate was found unconscious on a trail at 10pm on Friday (I suspect he’d been there a while as he tends to ride early evening) I’m feeling a little more vulnerable than before so can anyone recommend something that’s

a) simple for my wife to use (if I could set up a single url she could access that would be great)
    b) will run on my Android phone
    c) she can monitor in (realish) time on her iPad.

There’s mobile coverage over most of the places I ride so it should be ok.

Cheers

portlyone

Google+ version of their now defunct Latitude?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

doesn’t endomondo do this?

scotroutes

Aye – endomondo will do it. Live tracking eats batteries though (regardless of app I guess).

Bimbler
    Free Member

Google Latitude – was the answer but they’ve killed it (or are going to kill it) but I believe the functionality is going to be integrated into Google+

Edit Oh yeah there’s something called “buddy beacon” on Viewranger

wwaswas

Google+ you say?

Endomondo it is then 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

I use endomondo for this if I am out riding, problem is when I loose data connection I get a panicked phone call!

nickjb
    Free Member

I use the buddy beacon feature on Viewranger for this sort of thing. Works well.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

+1 buddy beacon on ViewRanger

GolfChick
    Free Member

Endomondo here, just need to get my OH to sign up for it so he cant track me now!

nre
    Free Member

Oruxmaps has a multitracking feature, whereby you can share your position with anyone else with Oruxmaps installed on their Android phone. Just need to authorise in advance who to share the info with.

Won’t work with iPad though…

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Use endomondo. you can publish to facebook as you ride. I also wrote an android app that responds to a keyword in text msgs with lat/long.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

scholarsgate – is that open source?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I wrote it for myself. So not at the moment.

paulwf

Rob Jackson – Where’s my Droid has that function

muggomagic

Viewranger is great for this. Also you can use tasker to send out details of your location via email or text message at set intervals and it would potentially use less battery as it won’t be tracking the ride like endomondo or viewranger would be doing.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Here’s mine

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Android Tracking apps.’ is closed to new replies.