Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Android to iPhone?
  • slackman99
    Free Member

As the title really, considering going from an android phone to an iPhone purely because the iPhone is a nice bit of kit. However I am heavily ‘invested’ in Google, with gmail, a Chromebook, Chromecast etc.

Am I going to lose functionality or is it just a different way if working? And will all the cloud links (gmail, contacts, notifications, calendar) still work?

jon1973
    Free Member

I’ve found all the Google app stuff works pretty well on my iPad, although there is no Google Calendar app for some reason, although the native one integrates quite well with a gmail account – not perfect though.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Personally I really didn’t like the Apple setup in terms of i-tunes etc. and have found Android to give much more freedom since swapping from Apple a few years ago. Being able to get vastly cheaper phones with a similar spec to the iphone is important to me too. That said, I saw the new Samsung Galaxy 6 with curved screen yesterday and although I’m pretty sure it’s entirely pointless, it looks awesome. Much nicer than an iphone in my opinion.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just get a good quality android phone.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

> However I am heavily ‘invested’ in Google, with gmail, a Chromebook, Chromecast etc.

I’ve you’ve bought lots of Apps form the Play store you’ll probably have to buy them again on the App Store.

Music and movies you’ve bought should ok. I find the Google music app to crash a lot more on iOs compared to Android, but hopefully an update will fix that.

Everything else pretty much works, youtube, docs, gmail, etc.

slackman99
    Free Member

OK, so sounding like I should just stick with android. Thing is I’m not sure there is a phone as nice as an iPhone, plus there are some good deals on the 6 at present. I’ll have a look and see what the Samsung s6 is looking like

Drac

I’ll have a look and see what the Samsung s6 is looking like

Like an iPhone 6.

There’s some cracking smartphone out now on both formats but if you’ve invested in one it’ll be a pain to switch to another.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

why would you even think about such a thing?!

muggomagic

If you’re happy with Android devices then the M9 and even the M8 are really nice mobiles. I also quite the sony xperia line of phones, you could also take a look at a nexus 6 too.
    If you’re set on an iphone 6 though, you’ll have no real issues switching other than as mentioned above, having to buy the iOS version of any paid apps you need. I often switch between android and iOS phones and have not had any problems. All the google apps are available on iOS including google calendar (for iPhone anyway) so you shouldn’t miss out on anything and I have a Chromecast and it all works just as well with the iPhone as it did with my android phones.

slackman99
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’ll have a think tonight. Other half has just got an iPhone 6 today so will have a play tonight.

Bimbler
    Free Member

The reviews I’ve seen of the M9 have been less than complimentary.

Drac

Hmmm, I’ll have a think tonight. Other half has just got an iPhone 6 today so will have a play tonight.

I got an iPhone 6+ from work last week. It’s very nice much quicker and easier to use than my 5, great for office work but far too big for an everyday walk around phone for personal use. It’s help me decide to go for the 6 tomorrow when I order a new phone.

slackman99
    Free Member

I’ve decided to go with a 6 based on the good deal (£23.50 pm and £55 for the phone). I’ll see how I get on

spacemonkey

One area where the little green fella pi55es over iOS is cross-app integration. Hence my N5 is ‘better’ for day to day use but my iPad is better for straight browsing and typing.

slackman99
    Free Member

What do you mean by cross app integration?

matt_outandabout

Cross app in Android is ace.

Maps automatically cues up a journey, based on your diary, and prompted when to leave taking account of the traffic or delays on rail.

All the Apps share what you have been searching for, you music and books can intense what appears on you tube etc. It’s amazing.

Drac

I’ve decided to go with a 6 based on the good deal (£23.50 pm and £55 for the phone). I’ll see how I get on

Where is that?

spacemonkey

What do you mean by cross app integration?

Pretty much what Matt says. Basically lots of apps have the ability to share/talk with other apps way more easily. iOS is still so closed off to this that it’s farcical.

johnnystorm

I went from Apple to Android and can’t see me going back. 😉

CountZero

I’ll have a look and see what the Samsung s6 is looking like

More expensive for the 64Gb version, from what I was reading yesterday.

CountZero

Finally found the phone review I read yesterday:
    Which is most expensive, Samsung Galaxy S6 edge, HTC One M9 or iPhone 6 Plus? – Pocket-lint
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/133278-which-is-most-expensive-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-htc-one-m9-or-iphone-6-plus

slackman99
    Free Member

The offer I got is through EE with £45 from quidco

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Android to iPhone?’ is closed to new replies.