Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Android Tablets
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Am close to pushing the button on an Adent Vega (shame Dixons airport don’t do them)…should I wait a few months for the anticipated rush of gingerbread tablets around that price (or less)?

Cougar

Personally, I’d wait.

I’m an Android user (HTC Desire), but I’ve not yet seen a tablet that I wanted to run out and buy. They’re not -quite- there yet. That said, I don’t remember whether I’ve seen the Vega first-hand or not (I’ve played with a few but couldn’t tell you which).

TBH, I’m still looking for a modern replacement for my beloved Psion 5. I thought the Dell Streak might have been The One, but they can’t be arsed to update it and I’m buggered if I’m playing that game again after being burned by Samsung.

shame Dixons airport don’t do them

Uh, I thought they were a DSGI exclusive??

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt you’d have played with one as they are effectively online only – hence not at airports.

I have a Desire too and an ipod touch, which gets used less and less (albeit that is a nicer experience), I really like the idea of a big screen, not getting dry-bummed by Steve Jobs though.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was hoping that there’d be more choice by now but the manufacturers seem to be taking ages to release their stuff after they announce it. It looks like its going to be August/September before choice improves 😐

Cougar

Sorry, I misread that as “shame Dixons don’t do them” – as you were. (-:

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I’m with Cougar.

Whilst it’s very tempting I’m not convinced they are ready yet. I’ve had a play with a Vega and it is pretty good for what it is. I’m sure you’ve seen this review

The new galaxy tab is due out soon as is the HTC Flyer.

The one I’m quite interested in is the Notion Ink Adam if it ever makes it to the uk.

jp-t853

I would take a punt if I were you. I have a zt-180 with the same spec it cost £130 off ebay and screen sensitivity apart it is great and the Advent sounds like the screen will be an improvement. I bought it primarily as a reading device and it is great for Singletrack magazine, the Guardian, BBC News, Kindle & Youtube. Angry Birds & Air Control are lovely on the big screen. It can be slow going on the Internet but that is where the laptop steps in.

DrJ

Well, you can buy a tablet running Android 2, which is not designed for tablets, or one with Android 3, for which there are essentially no dedicated apps. Hmmmm…

jp-t853

First generation Ipad’s are still £329 on the Apple website if that is of interest. Pretty good price for a well made product.

I put about 1Gb of singletrack magazines on the sd card for my Android tablet in a couple of minutes. Not sure how you do that on an Ipad.

clubber
    Free Member

Not sure how you do that on an Ipad.

assuming it’s the same as the iphone, you’d just sync them from itunes to the book reader or another app like goodreader.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ll not be having a look until Gingerbread is available.

DrJ

assuming it’s the same as the iphone, you’d just sync them from itunes to the book reader or another app like goodreader.

yep – exactly that. Goodreader is great !!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well, you can buy a tablet running Android 2, which is not designed for tablets, or one with Android 3, for which there are essentially no dedicated apps. Hmmmm…

…but presumably all the android 2 apps will work as well as they do on android 2?

jp-t853 – Member
    First generation Ipad’s are still £329 on the Apple website if that is of interest. Pretty good price for a well made product.

Former – oh noes, I can feel my credit card twitching at the thought of dry-bumming Steve Jobs! Can you get quidco etc off that? *looks*

clubber
    Free Member

Al – £319 for an ipad here: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/246851

Get out the grinding paste 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

http://www.justgiving.com/alanscole

To erase the logo?

TBH part of the attraction of android is much cheapness…thanks for the link though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I haven’t read any of the posts in the thread, but why would andriods need tablets? They can’t get ill surely?

EDIT: oh.

jp-t853

Cynic-al I am glad to see someone taking the moral high ground here (I hope you don’t subscribe to Sky).

Android 2 is perfectly fine on a tablet, you have the market you put your icons on the front screens, you press them and they work.

clubber
    Free Member

Isn’t android 2 limited as to screen size though? 8″?

molgrips
    Free Member

Is there a tablet around with an e-ink display btw that would allow you to write on it as well as read?

Cougar

Isn’t android 2 limited as to screen size though? 8″?

Resolution, perhaps. I can’t see how an OS could limit physical size.

DrJ

…but presumably all the android 2 apps will work as well as they do on android 2?

I think the issue is that they are not designed for a bigger screen.

clubber
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    To erase the logo?

No, to add to the enjoyment of your s3xy time with Steve Jobbie…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t get the moral high-ground/sky comment?

DrJ

I can feel my credit card twitching at the thought of dry-bumming Steve Jobs!

Yeah – right!! You getting a second-rate tablet is really going to sock it to iSteve!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was meaning buying a cheap ipod, but your point is equally relevant, and misses my humour.

DrJ

Aaah – OK … my mistake.

cynic-al
    Free Member

2000 press ups please.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Persoanlly, I’m wondering how Mark Cavendish is going to instruct us to buy htc tablets:

cynic-al
    Free Member

Holy thread ressurection…

anyone seen/tried any of these:

http://www.wowstore.it/-CAPACITIVE_Tablet_PC/cat503134_532503.aspx

SkillWill
    Free Member

Waiting for a Galaxy Tab 10.1 I think. My gf has an iPad but it annoys me too much. I’ve had Android phones for a few years now (currently have a Nexus S which is awesome) and I’m not an Apple hater in any way, I just prefer the lack of restrictions you have on Android compared to Apple.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can anyone commnent of ease-of battery replacement on these?

I’ve just done my ipod, it was pretty tricky.

iDave
    Free Member

i have a samsung tab and have been pretty pleased with it. it does all i would be wanting a tab to do. AND MORE!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Isn’t it worth considering the Motorola Xoom yet? Seemed pretty good to me, although it is expensive.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Indeed, enev the ipad is cheap in comparison.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK kids, I test ran the advents and ipad (2), my findings follow:

Amico (£99, resistive 7″ screen) – screen is rubbish (think Nokia 5230) but if you are on a budget, it does work.

Vega (£250, 10″ capacative screen) – screen a lot better, but just slow/delayed enough to be a somplete PITA cf ipad/ipod – as with older capacitive screen andriod phones? (My desire is fine)

Galaxy (7″, £300) better but only £40 less than a refurb ipad.

Ipad ****s both the above up the **** then ****s all over them laughing.

*bends over and calls Steve Jobs*

fogliettaz
    Free Member
    Cougar

You know something.

I don’t get tablets. Tablet PCs have been around in a niche-market for years. Jobs comes along on his hype-o-matic and goes “hey kids, here’s a laptop… without a keyboard!” and before you know it you’re ankle-deep in spunk and everyone’s wondering why this country has credit card debts.

Then everyone else gets in on the act and we’ve got (largely crap but getting better) Android tablets all over the place, and proprietary ones springing up running Symbian or PhlegmOS or something, people are selling kidneys to buy the things and most of those people don’t actually have any use for it other than “ooh, shiny.”

Me, I’ve a passing interest in a tablet of some form, but every time I look at one I can’t help but think that if someone invented one with a keyboard, it’d be perfect.

And you know, they now sell keyboard docks for the iPad. Say what you like about Apple but they’re f’king good at selling you things you already own. In a recession.

glenh
    Free Member

Me, I’ve a passing interest in a tablet of some form, but every time I look at one I can’t help but think that if someone invented one with a keyboard, it’d be perfect.

I virtually never use the keyboard on my ipad.
    I mostly use it lounging on the sofa or lying in bed, surfing the web, playing games or reading books or magazines. A physical keyboard would a) be wasted, and b) stop me using it in the ways that make it great.

p.s. I would wait for Honeycomb (android 3.0) tablets rather than buying a 2.x one. 3.0 is actually designed for tablets, looks great and you won’t have to wait long – various honeycomb tablets are shipping with in the next month.

Cougar

What I want, in an ideal world, is a replacement for my old Psion 5. If you took the Dell Streak, clamshelled a proper keyboard on it, and actually updated it ever, I’d be all over it like a rash. Something that I can a) type on rather than click buttons and b) fits in a pocket would be perfect for me.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Tablets are perfect for having on the sofa, picking up, browsing forums, looking something up on wikipedia/google, sending a quick email etc. etc. They don’t have a fan, don’t get hot, aren’t heavy…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Android Tablets’ is closed to new replies.