Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Android Sat Nav in Spain
  • franksinatra

Off on holiday soon and need to be able to get around. Fine usually but, out of necessity, need to drive into old town Malaga and also Seville.

I’ve tried saving Google Maps of the area but just cannot make this work so I don’t mind paying a few quid for reliable, data free navigation in the area. Any suggestions?

stumpy01

Co-Pilot I think does offline Europe mapping for about £30.

Mackem

I use navfree. I live in spain BTW.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have used NavFree in a few European countries (not spain) and its been great and free.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I tried NavFree this evening as everyone seems to rave about it. Bag of sh!te, imho. Weird routes and glitchy software – entered specific addresses and it stopped guiding as soon as I got to the road, not the actual location. The routes it took me were just bizarre, at times totally opposite to where I should have gone, turn right where there was no option to turn right. This was Australian maps. I tried it as lots of people here rec’d it. I however, don’t.

Mackem

Sure you didn’t have it on walking mode?

mogrim

I used Google Maps just yesterday to get to a friend’s new house. Bloody thing was in English, couldn’t understand any of its attempts to pronounce Spanish road names 😀

I’ve also got TomTom Iberia, cost 40€ or so but is loads better at navigating. The full Europe version is probably better value if you don’t live here and might end up driving in France or wherever. Should mention it doesn’t have radar warnings, if you want them you have to pay extra. Map updates are free however – just make sure you update on WiFi before you leave, they’re >300MB in size!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.iberia&hl=en

Edit: Ah, problem – it insists on a data connection to check its license on startup. Apparently the license is cached for 30 days, so if you do get it make sure you fire it up in the hotel (or local wifi place) before using…

Cougar

If you cross out “Spain” and write “France” or “USA” you’ll find several recent threads answering this question.

CoPilot is my recommendation.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Mackem – Member
    Sure you didn’t have it on walking mode?

Um.. Don’t know. It was measuring my speed and advising me of road speed limits where I was driving. Would it be set to walking on initial installation? That would be a bit weird if it was.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Android Sat Nav in Spain’ is closed to new replies.