Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Android or Apple phone
  • onandon
    Free Member

Hi All. Yes I know, another phone thread.

I’ve been using Android on a HTC for the past two year but thinking of going for an I phone 4’s on the next upgrade.

Many of the Android apps are free, are the Apple apps?

So apple 4’s or HTC sentation XL ????

deviant
    Free Member

In all seriousness they all do pretty much the same things now.

They all have the kind of browsing and download speeds that laptops had a few years ago and you wont be disappointed with an iphone or a Nexus or another HTC or the Galaxy etc etc….none of them really have a unique selling point any more, pick the one you like the look of and/or can get the best deal with.

Cougar

Yep, that’s about the size of it.

I have a Sensation, OH has an iPhone 4. Both of us are very happy with our choice, neither would swap. In terms of functionality (ie, what they can do), they’re largely comparable.

Stuff can sometimes be cheaper / free on Android. But TBH not significantly so.

CountZero

There are around 400,000 apps in the Apps Store, and lots are free, or very cheap. A point worth remembering though is that paying even a small amount allows the developer the opportunity and encouragement to continue to support and improve the app. Stanza is a good example; it was free, and the devs struggled to update and improve it so Amazon stepped in and bought it. And promptly killed it because they saw it as a threat to their Kindle app. There is no-one left developing it now, the iOS5 update has broken it and Amazon don’t care. People on a dedicated forum feel that if it had been charged for it would still be maintained and out of Amazon’s clutches. Being a freetard is all fine and dandy, but a dev needs encouragement to keep up the development, and if he/she gets nothing back, then what’s the point?

Kato

I’ve been on iphone for a couple of years now, but im actually quite interested in Windows Mango

Considering taking a punt on it when my contract’s up. Anyone had a go on one?

tron
    Free Member

Some apps are cheaper on Android – Angry Birds can be had for free as an example.

That’s not very important unless you expect to buy hundreds of apps. The big difference between say, a Galaxy S2 and the iPhone 4S in terms of running costs is the up front and contract cost.

A quick look at a couple of mobile phone deal sites suggests that I can get:

A Galaxy S2 for £179.99 up front, on a £15.32 line rental, 24 month contract. £537 is your total cost over 2 years.

An iPhone 4S for £169.99 up front, on a £30 line rental, 24 month contract. £889 is your cost for 2 years.

Both on the same contract – 300 minutes, 300 texts, 500 megs of data.

Even guessing that the iPhone can be sold for a hundred quid more than the Samsung at the end of the contract, it’s still going to be a lot dearer.

winrya
    Free Member

I’ve had every iPhone since release and at the end of iPhone 4 life I was itching to have a go with the android os. Sold the 4 and bought a HTC to have a try. At first I was really impressed with it, free apps, less restriction etc. some great apps, loved the friend stream.

After 3 weeks I ended up being pretty frustrated with it, always wanted it to do things how the iPhone did it. I found texting much harder and found myself sending far less text messages because of it.

My biggest frustration was surfing the net on it, nowhere near as smooth or nice to use. Again I was on the laptop far more than before.

I’ve since sold it and gone for the 4S and I love it more than ever. I’m glad I had a try of android as I’ve scratched the itch. It has however made me love the iPhone even more. It helps that this one is so so polished. Instant doing everything and god that retina screen is great to behold again.

Android wasn’t for me but is miles better than the windows or blackberry OS’s.

Different strokes for different folks though

kayak23

Its whatever you are used to really. I like the ability to make an Android phone your own. Try Swype for texting. Don’t think you can get it on iPhone…

transporter13
    Free Member

After having endless nokia’s, Sony Ericsson’s I tried out the android way of doing things in the shape of a htc desire s. Couldnt fault it tbh, liked everything about it until I tried a mates iPhone 4 when they first came out. For me, it felt much nicer to browse with, smoother and more intuitive.
    I now have a 4s and it’s brilliant….it was between this and the new sensation xe as I didn’t like the galaxy s2(felt cheap and nasty I the hand).
    The only minor gripe I have for the iPhone is that apps do generally cost more than on android but it’s not enough to deter me from the overall experience.
    For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t go back to android now

onandon
    Free Member

thanks for the input.

I’m still on my 2 year old HTC Hero which just cant cope with some of the app’s etc.
    I think my opinion if Android is tainted a little because of it.

again, thanks all.

GrahamS

An iPhone 4S for £169.99 up front, on a £30 line rental, 24 month contract. £889 is your cost for 2 years.

Small point about this (and all contracts) O2 let you change tariff midway through the contract. They don’t advertise this fact heavily but it is in the conditions. So you can step down to a more reasonable line rental after a year and reduce your TCO.

samuri
    Free Member

To the OP, you’ll fine the apple store a lot more relaxing than the android one too. It’s a lot more sanitised and there’s less rubbish in there.

That said, I’ve got an android phone. That was purely a cost thing but I still have a thing for Android anyway. It’s just a little bit more configurable.

Not much in it though IMO.

mogrim

To the OP, you’ll fine the apple store a lot more relaxing than the android one too. It’s a lot more sanitised and there’s less rubbish in there.

Even the new version? Not seen the apple one, so nothing to compare it with.

Being a freetard is all fine and dandy, but a dev needs encouragement to keep up the development, and if he/she gets nothing back, then what’s the point?

A lot of the Android apps are free but include advertising, I assume that’s where an Android dev gets his/her money back.

hh45
    Free Member

I’m not into gadgets but we get iphones through work and had my iphone 4 about 11 months. personally I thinks its quite nifty, maps, weather, internet and very intuitive systems but the O2 service is terrible and the phone itself clearly has a pi$$ poor aerial. As a phone you really have to question its viability but for the other stuff it is OK. For me the best thing is the seamless linking into my Outlook account for diary and emails. The rest is so so.

BTW I’ve never downloaded an app.

samuri
    Free Member

New version of the android market? It still has so many apps in it it’s hard to find something you want. And a lot more android apps are bad compared to apple apps. There is at least some quality control on the apple side.

GrahamS

BTW I’ve never downloaded an app.

😯 Isn’t that kind of missing the entire point of a smartphone?

Cougar

It still has so many apps in it it’s hard to find something you want.

I appreciate that this might be an alien concept to an STW user, but have you tried the ‘search’ facility?

(-:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Android or Apple phone’ is closed to new replies.