Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Android mappimg app with gpx support
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend an app for android that can read gpx files and as an added bonus allow you to load your own maps such as talky toasters osm maps.

Don’t need to be looking at maps all the time just more as a back up, means of checking should need arise.

Cheers.

nemesis
    Free Member

Orux maps does that. It includes OSM maps (and many others) too which you can download to the phone.

An older version (which I do have) also includes OS maps.

jambalaya
    Free Member

ViewRanger, not sure about loading your own maps

RDL-82
    Free Member

Yeah seen viewranger. The own maps is not a deal breaker I just know the talky toaster maps are good and well maintained. Only really want it as a just in case tbh as I wouldn’t make use of a Garmin really.

Will have a look at that Orux.

nemesis
    Free Member

The Orux maps will be even more up to date than talky toaster by my reckoning (I use TT on my Garmin FWIW) as they’re downloaded straight from source (which is what TT does periodically).

RDL-82
    Free Member

Right not used them in an age since getting rid of my Garmin through lack of use. They always seemed better than other sources of osm compiled maps. Have downloaded Orux and according to blurb it will load .IMG files which is what the TT maps are so I’ve the option to try at least if I feel the need.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Well Orux will indeed load the TT maps but the quality is nowhere near as good as I remember them, however it seems he has made the OS 1:50k look version paid for which is fair enough. So not sure whether its the app not displaying them right but the ‘online’ osm looks far better. Need to figure out how to download the UK for offline use now. Anyone know an easy way?

CraigW
    Free Member

You could try OsmAnd. Its a kind of confusing interface, but it can do loads of stuff, including load GPX files. It lets you download OSM maps for the whole country at once.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Android mappimg app with gpx support’ is closed to new replies.