Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Android GPS that can follow a route?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Looking for ideally an Android app which provides almost turn by turn navigation from a route you have created – with a gpx or similar.
    Not sure if Orux maps or Endomondo would so something?

somouk
    Free Member

Turn by turn probably won’t happen for off road stuff but viewranger should allow you to follow a gpx.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

you can overlay gps routes onto back country nav, routes youve downloaded off the internet, created yourself or got files off friends, but it doesn’t do sat nav type instructions.

muggomagic

You can follow a route on ViewRanger it’ll give you alarms and a navigation arrow.

ViewRanger wiki

nre
    Free Member

Oruxmaps can be used to follow a GPX route, you can set alarms for when you drift off route, but it won’t direct you as such…

theflatboy
    Free Member

Nobody except me ever seems to mention Osmand in these threads, but I used it for ages pre-Garmin and it’s excellent, virtually turn by turn in terms of announcing directions by distance and displaying them as you approach. Definitely worth a look, as it’s free.

Simon

I’ve got Orux maps and osmand on my phone but I can’t figure out how to upload gpx files to the apps to follow on the mapping. How is it done??

theflatboy
    Free Member

Osmand – it’s a while since I used it, but from memory you select or create a folder on the phone’s internal memory, and then in the settings of Osmand you point it at the right folder. From there you can select and follow the predetermined routes.

There are loads of instructions / help forums for Osmand so if you get stuck you should find answers somewhere…

seosamh77
    Free Member

can load gpx files onto memory map. you’ll need to spend a tenner buying 20,000km2 of offline OS maps mind you, but worth it, I’ve got the whole of scotland activated, it’s great just viewing maps whenever I feel without worrying about interweb connectivity.

Simon

Still can’t get it to work. Help page says I need to put gpx file in osmand/tracks/your_file.gpx folder on my SD card in the osmand directory.
    The osmand/tracks/your_file.gpx folder isn’t there and phone won’t let me create a folder with that name 😕

Jolsa

You can create a route in Endomondo, either from an existing workout or from gpx file. You can then choose to “follow a route” when you next track a workout. No turn by turn directions, but it’ll show the map with the route you’re heading along.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Nobody except me ever seems to mention Osmand in these threads,

Does it have full 1:25K OS maps which you can use offline, for a few quid one off fee?

Simon

Is back country nav easy for an idiot like me to use? 😀
    I’ve pretty much given up with my Etrex 20 as it’s too much of a faff connecting it up to my slooooow unreliable laptop to get gpx files into it. And even when I do get routes onto it it’s really not user friendly!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yes Simon, it’s so good it will be used to map the coming of the new messiah.

I’m hopeless unless stuff is simple and I didn’t have any problems working stuff out.

download the free trial and have a play, text/email/phone me if you have any questions.

Simon

Sounds promising 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Some samples of images, red are downloaded routes off the internet, blue are routes I’ve recorded.
    This is at 1:25k with a section of a gps route overlayed, I think I downloaded it off a website. You can even zoom in further to look at detail, but the OS scale is still at 1:25k

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Android GPS that can follow a route?’ is closed to new replies.