Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Android GPS
  • Innes
    Free Member

What is the best Android GPS program?

Is there one that works without being connected to the internet for use in areas with a poor signal?

What price are most apps like that?

Thanks.

scaredypants

navfree – no internet / data live link needed and, err, free

see here – note 2 different versions

Ambrose

If you already use Memory Map, try MMtracker.

kevj
    Free Member

If you already use Memory Map, try MMtracker

This. Excellent application and worth every penny.

scaredypants

ah, just realised you may well mean offroad 😳

windowshopper
    Free Member

navfree needs 72mb internal memory! Blimey, never going to free up that much space on my Desire.

Uninstalled skobbler today. It left me in the dark on a roundabout once too often.

scaredypants

shopper, you can put it on the SD card

(Ed) the app itself seems to be taking 84Kb on my phone – the maps and postcodes are big, mind !

cp

Another vote for mmtracker. Installed the free one to my desire s a couple of days ago and its brilliant. Will be upgrading to the full version. You need mm maps though.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

There have been a few threads on this and OruxMaps has been recommended a few times.
    Im going to give it a try tomorrow, I have downloaded the OS maps for offline use and I’m just importing a couple of GPX routes to see how it goes.

Neil-F
    Free Member

When you say GPS program, do you mean a Sat Nav type application, or a Sport Tracker/Route recorder type?

Innes
    Free Member

A Sport Tracker/Route recorder. I have an older Memory Map program on my computer but I’m not sure if that will help with new applications.

Cougar

A Sport Tracker/Route recorder.

My Tracks / Endomondo / Runkeeper?

Russell96

Viewranger, works on multiple platforms, also has the buddy beacon as a handy safety feature.

http://www.viewranger.com/

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve tested Endomondo today on a walk (often under tree cover). The result was pretty good. A few friends have complained about Endomondo giving some wild data, but viewing the map of our walk today online, it looked pretty accurate. The downside was that the battery was drained within 3 hours, but that was with continued updating to the website, battery might last longer if I’d turned that off, not sure tho, it’s all a bit new to me.

alexpalacefan

I Like Viewranger.

APF

seosamh77
    Free Member

I use noom, with the cardiotrainer module thingy. Tis pretty good, though it was very cloudy and rainey last run and it did drop out a few times, generally it’s pretty accurate though…

clubber
    Free Member

I use everytrail pro as it allows you to download osm maps to the phone so you don’t need network signal. pretty accurate too (desire s)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Top tip, if you use a route tracker, turn the data off and your battery life will be much better. i use mytracks and it seems fine.

benslow
    Free Member

RMaps is very good.

if you browse to the area you’ll be going to when on wifi it caches the map so its there for you when the signal ‘int …

Cougar

If all you’re doing is recording, forget maps.

stumpy01

What do you want it for?

If you just want something that will record where you have been without necessarily using it as a navigation aid – I would give My Tracks a try. I have never had problems with it losing gps lock, unlike other apps I have tried.

The Google Maps application will let you cache a certain area of map centred on where you search for, which can be quite helpful as a back-up. I don’t know whether My Tracks would automatically be able to access this cached map info, or whether you can only see it using Google Maps.

If you are after a sat nav program, then I would use Google Nav – seems to work really well, although I have had occasion where it completely loses GPS lock with a clear sky & fails to regain it. Very rarely does this happen though.
    I have recently discovered the Traffic View layer and it seems very helpful.

rthomas17
    Free Member

Memory Map have launched their Beta version for Android recently. I bought the memorymap package a few years ago for a PDA, so I can now use those. Will be trying MMtracker as well though, after reading this thread.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I like Rmaps as it has OS maps in there, although I struggled to work out how to import & use a gpx file with it successfully.

mattbee

MM tracker allows you to youse any laicense version of the MM maps. I have the whole of the UK on the earlier license for MM but when I got a Vista PC I had to use the newer version of the programme which wouldn’t use those maps. Meant I had to buy again. MMTracker doesn’t care, so I get to use them all.

unovolo
    Free Member

If its for Sat Nav purposes then I’m currently using Sygik,works just like Traditional Sat Nav so doesn’t need data connection just GPS.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Android GPS’ is closed to new replies.