Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Android- best biking/outdoor apps? and upgrade question
  • walla24
    Free Member

Hello, have aquired a htc desire:

What apps do you recommend for biking/outdoor stuff eg mapping, training etc.?
    Where is the best place to get them?
    Also i hear android is upgrading soon, when is this?

Any other tips/cool stuff to do with my new phone?

cheers

rOcKeTdOg

Cardiotrainer is good for route plotting and stuff

glenh
    Free Member

If you are talking about android 2.2 when you say upgrade, some people (nexus one owners) already have it 😛

When it will come to other phones officially is down to the handset manufacturers.
    I suspect you can already get 2.2. on a desire though, since it's almost the same as a nexus one, if you do a bit of hacking.

edit:
    2.2 here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=628

walla24
    Free Member

hacking is not on my agenda….way to expensive a piece of kit to **** up 😀

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i was under the impression the desire shipped with 2.2.

Anywho i use the google gps sports app i believe called mytracks. Occasionaly it buggers up but most of the time its great.

funkynick

Nope, Desire ships with 2.1. HTC have yet to announce a date for 2.2 to be released, but rumours put it at the end of June. Then, it'll be however long it takes for the networks to update it and send it out… so next year maybe?

Although saying that, once it's available on the BTC site you could probably just download it from there and install it anyway…

EDIT:
    Oh, and I use MyTracks at the moment, and I really must get my copy of ViewRanger transfered to my Desire for proper OS mapping.

grtdkad

+1 for MyTracks

walla24
    Free Member

my tracks? is this free, where from?

Jamesy
    Free Member

its on the android market place , you should have an icon for it on your menu

joemarshall
    Free Member

I use endomondo. It has better sharing and exercise logging features than mytracks. Very easy to use, and a quite good web interface.

Joe

crikey
    Free Member

Walla, do a search online for the HTC Desire manual and sit down and have a good read through; it's not just a phone and you'll miss so much if you don't have a look through…

TheDoog
    Free Member

+1 for my tracks, tough on the battery though.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Oh, and view ranger for OS maps. It costs money, but is well worth it.

The android 2.2 update for desire is.rumoured to be out end of June, but no official announcement yet. You can hack it on, but you lose the HTC sense user interface (the nice home screens and stuff )

Jamesy
    Free Member

still waiting for an update for my HTC hero on 3 , getting annoyed now

TheDoog
    Free Member

I hacked my own Hero up to 2.1 cos A) it got rid of all the 3 network specific stuff in the software and B) i cant see 3 or HTC getting round to releasing it anytime soon.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I've only used endomondo so far and very impressed with it. All I want to do is log my rides and see where I went and how far. It does this brilliantly, plus you can upload to the website and send a link of for friends to check out.

I'm pretty impressed with the GPS – first ride with it this week and it captured the whole route, even under heavy tree cover.

Random Desire tip:
    Alarm only works when phone is on, due to the smartphone/OS thing.
    To use the alarm but not get woken in the night with emails, texts, Tweets etc, pu the phone in 'airplane' mode. This turns off all radio/syncing but alarm still works. Uses bugger all battery too…

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

RunGPS is a good program for both mapping (openstreetmap, opencyclemap) and for training. It is very customisable with multiple screens. It is compatable with bluetooth heartrate monitors too.

I use it with my Desire and it works very well. I reckon you can get about 3.5 to 4 hours of continuous GPS use out of it.

Regards

walla24
    Free Member

right yeah fair play its becoming evident that there are literally millions of feature my old sony c902 didnt have…will read the manual. thanks for all the suggestions will go through them all.

walla24
    Free Member

read the manual-sweet.
    got some apps, cant find viewranger??

also is there a way of locking the screen manually or do you just have to wait till it does it itself?
    cheers

joemarshall
    Free Member

cant find viewranger??

From http://www.viewranger.com

also is there a way of locking the screen manually or do you just have to wait till it does it itself?

Press the power button.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I'm using mytracks at the moment, its a bit different to the sportstracker I'm used to on my old Nokia N95 but the tracks recorded seem an awful lot more accurate and you do get more information recorded like height gained etc.

I'm now trying to create some graphs on Google Docs to summarise the information ala the Nokia Sportstracker, now if there was a way to import the 600 or so routes from the Nokia Website I'd be a very happy man!

walla24
    Free Member

superb cheers 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Android- best biking/outdoor apps? and upgrade question’ is closed to new replies.